Working with O visa? (marriage visa)

Don't ask immigration or a lawyer they always say 'it must be a B visa', and a lawyer will cost you money.

99% of the time I have had a work permit while on a multi entry O married visa, meant out/in every 90 days but the employer paid for those. A 12 month married extension is better ( 90 day reports of course required ???? )

Ask your local labour office, I know Rayong office are happy to issue a wp on O visa/extensions.

They will back you up no problem.

Remember the labour office requirement for a wp is 'a non immigrant visa/extension', it doesn't mention O or B etc.

Edit.

Also had a wp from Chonburi labour office on my O.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

I have used annual extensions of Non O based on marriage for more than 20 years. I also work (not a teacher) and have a work permit. I prefer it this way because I don't want my extension to rely on my employer. Immigration does not know and they don't seem to care as long as I meet the conditions for my marriage extension. I live and work in Bangkok.

Thanks for replies. 

I heard that with Boi promoted companies, with non b can get 2 years instead of 1 year with non O. 

I totally agree with employment with non O, but the immigration officer will do the annual visit for some tea money right??? 

In the past I've paid 2000 baht... 

They called my wife and said they gotta eat dinner! 

41 minutes ago, villageidiotY2K said:

I totally agree with employment with non O, but the immigration officer will do the annual visit for some tea money right??? 

The majority of immigration offices only do a home visit for the first extension of stay application and some only want witnesses present when you apply for the extension.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a work permit if you have a 90 day non-o visa entry or extension of stay based upon marriage. A copy of your marriage certificate would be needed when the application is done. You can even use the income from working to show 40k baht of income to apply for the extension.

Some employers will say you have to apply for a extension based upon working and others will incorrectly say you have to have a non-b visa entry.

The one stop service of the BOI in Bangkok says you need a non B if you work for a BOI company

Edited by FritsSikkink

31 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

The one stop service of the BOI in Bangkok says you need a non B if you work for a BOI company

I am aware of that but people have gotten around that by applying for the work permit at a normal Department of Employment office and applied at their local immigration office for the extension.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am aware of that but people have gotten around that by applying for the work permit at a normal Department of Employment office and applied at their local immigration office for the extension.

I work for a BOI company. I have a work permit (digital work permit). I use an extension of stay based on Non O marriage. I told the BOI one stop service Center at Chamchuri Square that I did not want a B visa. They were a little surprised but they were OK. 

Immigration doesn't know I have a work permit. I have never told them. They have never asked.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Stef said:

I have used annual extensions of Non O based on marriage for more than 20 years. I also work (not a teacher) and have a work permit. I prefer it this way because I don't want my extension to rely on my employer. Immigration does not know and they don't seem to care as long as I meet the conditions for my marriage extension. I live and work in Bangkok.

I stay on a Non O retired visa for several years, but plan to do some small business in Education for Standard Schools 8th and 9th class. My family own a school and be very interested, but I think they don't know the struggle if a foreigner start teaching such stuff and how to get a WP for me. Retired means that I'm retired in my Home country. Why I should not be able to work here, even it would be for the family business. 

Not English teacher, but technical like simple starting from simple logic with AND and OR etc for PLC and outlook for process control & automation, but on a low level according knowledge of Thai in logic

On 12/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can get a work permit if you have a 90 day non-o visa entry or extension of stay based upon marriage. A copy of your marriage certificate would be needed when the application is done. You can even use the income from working to show 40k baht of income to apply for the extension.

Some employers will say you have to apply for a extension based upon working and others will incorrectly say you have to have a non-b visa entry.

As  per Ubonjoe, I have lived and worked here on a marriage Visa extension for years. no need to change to a B. Just apply and show marriage certificate 

27 minutes ago, JAFO said:

As  per Ubonjoe, I have lived and worked here on a marriage Visa extension for years. no need to change to a B. Just apply and show marriage certificate 

Same, Non -O + work permit, extension based on marriage 400.000 in the bank but a lot of extra paperwork from the company as I'm a shareholder as well and my wife is the GM ????

On 12/15/2020 at 4:28 AM, a6patch said:

I think some people convert it because whoever is helping them (employer, etc) might act like it is necessary.  However, it definitely is NOT necessary, and it is a bad idea.  IIRC, if you abruptly lose your job, you have like 7 days to leave the country.  I'd much rather have my permission to stay be unrelated to my employment.  However, some blokes might think the opposite...I guess it depends on how your relationship is hehe.

Actually if your have a B visa and married to a Thai and loose your job you can apply for an 60 extension to visit your wife. If not married then yes, you apply for an extension and it will be denied and you will be given a stamp to leave in 7 days.