Smoking or growing cannabis in Thailand is still very much illegal

webfact

2 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Really nothing worse ? You obviously have zero facts on what you talk about. I am not advocating either but  I guarantee you that a p!sshead in a car is far more dangerous than a pothead. 

don't waste your time, people know nothing and will never learn because they are happy to be as stupid as their dumb parents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2020 at 2:01 PM, TooPoopedToPop said:

Never say never.

Once these dinosaurs die off or retire Thailand will join the rest of the enlightened world and legalize it.

There are too many benefits to be gained from this useful plant.

Besides, the War on Drugs has been a manifest disaster.

I love my hooch but exactly how much of the enlightened world has legalised exactly. Beyond decriminalisation or medicinal of course. How much of the world has legalised marijuana usage for their whole population again?

29 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

The guy made a ridiculous statement. To be fair though, they are both dangerous. There shouldn't be a conversation about which is more dangerous.

Just as there are laws to punish and prevent people driving under the influence of alcohol, there are already laws to stop and punish people driving under the influence of weed. Do people think that legalizing weed automatically means people will drive around baked out of their heads?

Just because weed may be legal, doesn't mean driving while stoned is. The same way that driving while drunk is not legal.

The same as there are people who will drive drunk, there will be people who will drive stoned. The existing laws will, and do, punish both.

Well no you've actually missed the whole point as a square head would. The whole reason you drive stoned as pre swabs  it was only dui. So people stopped getting drunk and drove under the influence of everything else. And tbh in most of the rest of the world this is true. 

49 minutes ago, starky said:

I love my hooch but exactly how much of the enlightened world has legalised exactly. Beyond decriminalisation or medicinal of course. How much of the world has legalised marijuana usage for their whole population again?

The point you are trying to make is untenable and your argument is convoluted and slippery.

There is an overwhelming trend towards decriminalization of cannabis in countries that aren't still living in the dark ages.  This inevitably leads, in time, to various forms of legalization starting with medical use and ending with controlled recreational use for adults.

That reality couldn't be any more obvious whether you like it or not.

What would be more difficult to find are countries returning to the black hole of prohibition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, starky said:

Well no you've actually missed the whole point as a square head would. The whole reason you drive stoned as pre swabs  it was only dui. So people stopped getting drunk and drove under the influence of everything else. And tbh in most of the rest of the world this is true. 

Erm... what world do you live in? Someone needs to catch up on the law.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/driving-while-stoned-the-penalties-and-gray-area-in-marijuana-law.html/

As of November 2017, some 29 states had legalized marijuana for medicinal use. By 2018, eight of those states will allow the recreational use of pot, too. Add in the millions of Americans who smoke weed illegally and you have a small army of stoned individuals hanging out in public at all hours.

At your local bar or drum circle, that’s not a problem. On the other hand, when driving your kids home from school, you don’t want to run into a guy who just took a round of bong hits. Likewise, marijuana users need to know the risks they face if they get behind the wheel high. State penalties for stoned driving are mostly as harsh as they are for drunk driving. Nothing kills a buzz like 120 days without your license or $1,500 in fines.

A 2014 Colorado case showed how that could happen. While on her way home one night, Abby McLean stopped at a DUI checkpoint and was arrested on suspicion of driving while high. At the police station, blood tests showed she had five times the legal limit.

In Thailand, where we live, police test your urine. Punishments are the same for drink driving as they are for weed driving

2 hours ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

The point you are trying to make is untenable and your argument is convoluted and slippery.

There is an overwhelming trend towards decriminalization of cannabis in countries that aren't still living in the dark ages.  This inevitably leads, in time, to various forms of legalization starting with medical use and ending with controlled recreational use for adults.

That reality couldn't be any more obvious whether you like it or not.

What would be more difficult to find are countries returning to the black hole of prohibition.

Lol . Let me tell you 2 Canada and Uruguay. I asked a simple easy to answer question where someone clearly stated that there were a number of enlightened countries where pot was legal. Which is not true . No use getting argumentative with me mate. I think all drugs should be decriminalised you goose. I was just asking the poster to back up his claims.

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

Erm... what world do you live in? Someone needs to catch up on the law.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/driving-while-stoned-the-penalties-and-gray-area-in-marijuana-law.html/

As of November 2017, some 29 states had legalized marijuana for medicinal use. By 2018, eight of those states will allow the recreational use of pot, too. Add in the millions of Americans who smoke weed illegally and you have a small army of stoned individuals hanging out in public at all hours.

At your local bar or drum circle, that’s not a problem. On the other hand, when driving your kids home from school, you don’t want to run into a guy who just took a round of bong hits. Likewise, marijuana users need to know the risks they face if they get behind the wheel high. State penalties for stoned driving are mostly as harsh as they are for drunk driving. Nothing kills a buzz like 120 days without your license or $1,500 in fines.

A 2014 Colorado case showed how that could happen. While on her way home one night, Abby McLean stopped at a DUI checkpoint and was arrested on suspicion of driving while high. At the police station, blood tests showed she had five times the legal limit.

In Thailand, where we live, police test your urine. Punishments are the same for drink driving as they are for weed driving

29 states? So US centric. Next.

1 hour ago, starky said:

29 states? So US centric. Next.

There are harsher penalties involved for being caught consuming and/or possession

https://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php

• Imprisonment not exceeding 5 years and or a fine not exceeding 100,000 Baht or both for possession
  • Imprisonment not exceeding 1 year and a fine of 100,000 – 1,000,000 for consumption
  • You can also be prosecuted for DUI alongside the narcotics control act (above) penalties if driving.

On the other hand - drinking has relatively light sentencing, as fines & suspensions of licences are often the punishments given in lieu of a prison sentence.

963067.jpg

There are a lot of countries that have decriminalized the use - meaning there is no punishment for possession and use of the drug.

Not quite the same as legal, as you still have to either obtain it illegally, or by growing your own legally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis

Edited by 2530Ubon

6 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

There are harsher penalties involved for being caught consuming and/or possession

https://www.siam-legal.com/litigation/criminal-defence-drug-offences-in-thailand.php

• Imprisonment not exceeding 5 years and or a fine not exceeding 100,000 Baht or both for possession
  • Imprisonment not exceeding 1 year and a fine of 100,000 – 1,000,000 for consumption
  • You can also be prosecuted for DUI alongside the narcotics control act (above) penalties if driving.

Thats outdated info. The average is 20K unofficial and 5K by court if consuming and having like under 10 grams. That page also still mentions wrong categories and for Kratom, which also changed recently.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

31 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Thats outdated info. The average is 20K unofficial and 5K by court if consuming and having like under 10 grams. That page also still mentions wrong categories and for Kratom, which also changed recently.

I just checked another up to date source and it says;

Marijuana is still considered a Category 5 controlled substance which carries a penalty of up to 5 years imprisonment for mere possession. The possession of over 10kg (22 pounds) can result in a prison term of up to 15 years.

THIS PAGE LAST UPDATED ON 18-AUG-2020

https://www.sawaweed.com/is-marijuana-legal-in-thailand-definitive-guide/

Edited by 2530Ubon

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Nothing worse then a pot head with a burned out brain driving a car.

There should be no weed allowed here.

Let's put money on a contest with drunk driver VS stoned driver, thru obstacle course, first collision loses. You put your money on the drunk, mines on the stoned driver. I then buy and sell your broke ass to Cambodia, where the too dumb for even Thailand end up. My guess is your on your way already. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I just checked another up to date source and it says;

Marijuana is still considered a Category 5 controlled substance which carries a penalty of up to 5 years imprisonment for mere possession. The possession of over 10kg (22 pounds) can result in a prison term of up to 15 years.

THIS PAGE LAST UPDATED ON 18-AUG-2020

https://www.sawaweed.com/is-marijuana-legal-in-thailand-definitive-guide/

I meant the category for kratom, it removed for personal use. For cannabis these sentences are outdated too as long its under 10 grams. August 2020 is actually far outdated too, many things happened and are happening as we speak.

I bet this is the new easy few thousand baht catch for police in the future as cannabis is starting to be grown and sold everywhere. Came across a lot students in normal bars offering me since this year and they all have their own little indoor thing going, some outside too.

If Thailand does get smart and makes it like Amsterdam that could be a very good comeback for tourism and a lot of tax income too.

Not sure if it is true but since the case of Johan van Laarhoven (wrongly arrested ex coffeeshop boss in netherlands), he was released this year and the 100+ years dismissed. He is also released from Dutch jail by now. Anyway, the justice minister actually been visiting dutch coffeeshops in that court case, it might have opened their eyes. Prayut was also aware of this case and actually played a role deciding to release him.

Because since that entire case is also done and over with, they also became much more interested in legalising and medical ganja.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

44 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I meant the category for kratom, it removed for personal use. For cannabis these sentences are outdated too as long its under 10 grams. August 2020 is actually far outdated too, many things happened and are happening as we speak.

Unless you can back that up with some facts then i don't think we should trust that. I found another source. This one is only three weeks old:

https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2020/11/22/cocaine-and-cannabis-still-highly-illegal-in-thailand/

Minster Somsak also made it clear that marijuana or cannabis remains a controlled and illicit substance or Class 5 drug although a range of government measures and initiatives have been put in place to make it available to those who require extracts of the drug for medicinal purposes or scientific research.

Kratom leaf use is to be decriminalised but controlled use of the natural stimulant is to be legislated for by the government in due course

The minister did, however, confirm that the possession of Kratom will become legal after the natural plant stimulant is removed from the category 5 listing of prohibited drugs. 

He pointed out that, currently in Thailand, 135 villages or areas have been designated where the cultivation of the leaf and its use is entirely legal. However, once the kratom leaf is decriminalised as a drug, the government will introduce legislation to regulate and control its use in the kingdom.

You are talking about things that have not happened yet. Kratom is still class 5, as is weed. The punishments are still in place for these two drugs.

Now, I'm all for legalization (in case anyone wondered), but I also think it's important to get the facts right.

Under the Narcotics Act, the fine for being caught with cannabis if you don’t have a license can be severe. If a person is caught distributing cannabis to others, they could face two to 10 years in prison or a fine of 40,000 to 200,000 Baht. Should the amount distributed is over 10 kilograms, the punishment can be up to 15 years imprisonment or 200,000 to 1,500,000 Baht.

If cannabis is only for personal consumption, the prison sentence is five years or less. Additionally, the fine can be up to 100,000 Baht. A maximum of one year of prison time is the punishment if caught smoking or consuming cannabis. The fine can be 100,000 to 1,000,000 Baht

extracts of the drug for medicinal purposes

the stuff that is being peddled here is far from medicinal. i wish i didn't have to say that but what they are passing off as thc and cbd meds here is laughable at best. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mr mr said:

i wish i didn't have to say that but what they are passing off as thc and cbd meds here is laughable at best. 

Well you didn't have to say it,it depends where you get it,i hear.

On 12/16/2020 at 7:29 AM, Don Chance said:

Marijuana is very beneficial if you are addicted to marijuana. For everyone else, not so much.

They think oh, this relaxes me, because they are addicted, they think oh,  this helps me sleep, because they are addicted, they think oh, this is such a useful plant because....

Imagine if everyone starts smoking weed everyday of their lives, starting as a teenager. Is that really the world you want to live in?

Sorry to break the news to you gramps, but no one gets addicted to weed. 
is booze better in your opinion?

52 minutes ago, jvs said:

i'll go out on a limb and say the vast majority of what is being sold here does not meet what would be considered medical standards. 

1 hour ago, jvs said:

If you are buying the really p!ss take, over expensive, only legal gpo thc oil you get 0.5 mg thc per drop .... for comparison a decent cookie would be around 100mg. If you are buying other oil then who knows whats inside as production won't have any regulations at all.

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mr mr said:

The stuff that is being peddled here is far from medicinal. i wish i didn't have to say that but what they are passing off as thc and cbd meds here is laughable at best. 

Actually it is the best and most healthy way to consume as it are unmodified and original outdoor strains. To find strains with a higher CBD amount than average is very very difficult. The Dutch did so recently in Congo, Africa, but the guy who found it died of malaria a year later. They made a youtube series of it called 'Strain Hunters'.

Anyway, to get a real and proper to use medicine from it, it needs to be isolated in the first place. In those terms it gets a better medicine than it originally was (just as with most medicine in the world it will end up with a tablet that won't even make you high).

Even for strains with lower CBD amounts it can still work just as good, you would only need more to get the same result, which is fine as long it can be isolated. But yeah, I do not expect much progress in Thailand on this end.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Actually it is the best and most healthy way to consume as it are unmodified and original outdoor strains

a "modified" strain is basically just breeding nice phenotypes from different regions until they become somewhat stable.  The phenos are selected for thc/cbd content  and/or terpene profiles. If you are extracting thc/cbd surley using "hybrids" is better value for any person/company into extractions.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:58 AM, mtls2005 said:

Taken orally.

Guess you could try to smoke it. Let us know how that works out for you.

Some put the oil on a cigarettes, apparently not so strong as orally, my friend puts his prescribed oil, on a sugar cube to cut down the bitterness and make it easier for him to take.

So yes you can smoke it.

• Like 2