Shingles vaccine

JTXR

25 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Still not avaulable here. Only Zostavax

by any chance do you know which one is better?  have 3 points if I may

1- the internet gives better overall performance to the Shingrix.

2- Had shingles more then a year ago and still suffer from it, still have some very bad days with lots of pain and burning sensation, stopped all medication as it was causing me other health problems such as Acid Reflux (maybe took too many) it appears the vaccine is to prevent from it to come back again but it may help my case as well

3- is it possible to procure the Shingrix outside and have it injected here

thanks

Just now, Sheryl said:

Shingrix is better but Zostavax is better than mothing.

I don't know of any way you could procure it.

Thanks for your input. I could get it from a couple of different countries when and if travel resumes, I regularly travel to Singapore or Macao.

Zostavax is an older version (2006) of a vaccine that contains a live virus and only requires 1 shot with a 67% efficiency rate VS Shingrix is newer (2017) different concept of making vaccines, requires 2 shots (2-6 months intervals) and has 90% efficiency rate

unfortunately couldn't find pricing to compare

As far as I know, Shingrix is not available in Singapore either, only Zostavax.

It is available in China so maybe you can find it in Macao. Whether they would sell you the second dose to take with you, is another matter. I have had no luck myself trying that and neither have any of the people I know of who have tried, but these attempts were in Western countries not China.

Note the need for cold chain if you succeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Shingrix vaccine has been around for almost 4 years...why the delay in availability in Thailand? It's efficacy is much better than the older Zostavax vaccine. Is it a production issue with the manufacturer or a delay in Thai FDA approval for use in Thailand? The Zostavax vaccine is considered so less effective it isn't even available in the U.S. anymore.

• Like 1

It is up to the manufacturer to apply to register it in Thailand. They may not bother if they don't anticipate much sales. Since the government health scheme does not include it Thais would have to pay put of pocket for it and not many are likely to do so.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

This is an old thread .. but I assume me posting will put it in latest postings list.

Any one got an update if vax for shingles available in Thailand yet ?  I am going to email a few hospitals, (after my covid vax had time to settle (uh?). )   .... to ask.

I have had 4 bouts of it in about 2 years.  One was without the telltale horrendous rash and made me very ill.  Mr Google confirms shingles without the rash not uncommon .. and the most 'worstest'

Edited by PAWNEESE

Shingrix is still not in Thailand.

There is now a locally made vaccine (SKYzoster) which is essentially same as Zostavax - a live attenuated vaccine.

if you have not had this, while nto as effective as Shingrix it is certainly better than nothing. 50% reduction in risk of getting shingles and 67% reduction in risk of post-herpetic neuralgia.

Should wait at least 14 days after completion of COVID vaccine series.

• Like 2

Shingrix is a two-shot regimen. The second shot is recommended to be administered two to six months after the first. I got my second in October, 2019 in Canada. I'm a bit shocked Thailand doesn't have this.

By the way, I had no side effects. Shingrix is a bit expensive. I think I paid CA$162/4200 baht per shot. I missed out on a later regulatory change that made it free for us older gentlemen. 

• Like 1