Who Lives in Buriram?

Maha Sarakham

Hello Folks,

Just curious if any of you reside in Buriram either with a Thai missus or otherwise.  My wife and I have heard great things about the province and were keen to check it out next time we arrived in Thailand.

Any areas in particular that are good residential zones?  We are primarily interested in buying some land (~2 Rai) for a future home build, considering a few different provinces at the moment and thought I'd ask what you all thought about Buriram.

Thanks for the feedback guys, Happy Holidays.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

I spent three years in Korat , I will never get that back Waste of  of a town as a matter fact all of Isaan is a Bore , There is a Decent Restaurant The Swan in Buriram , Fantastic , I eat there and run out of town with takeaways , 80% of girls in Pattyare from Buriram most speak Khmer tooo, always use the 2 Hour rule away from her parents, I did 5 hours , don’t need that Drama , get a Firestick  or Android Box to keep your mind occupied 

Heard about the Swan. Might try it soon

Hot and dusty, not unlike neighboring Cambodia. Slightly less boring than other Isaan provinces, thanks to having a race track and Thailand's finest soccer team. Generally friendly, laid back countryside people.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live there, but I've enjoyed my short visits.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Hot and dusty, not unlike neighboring Cambodia. Slightly less boring than other Isaan provinces, thanks to having a race track and Thailand's finest soccer team. Generally friendly, laid back countryside people.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live there, but I've enjoyed my short visits.

Think that sums it up pretty well. It's got more going for it than elsewhere in Isaan, nice people, nice to visit, but wouldn't want to live there. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If she has family there all the more reason not to live there, live as far away as possible from the outlaws, 

That is actually one of the reasons we are inquiring about other provinces, as she doesn't want to live too close to her parents.  Occasional visits are fine, but we both prefer privacy.

Greatly appreciate the responses everyone, seems like it might be a good place for a visit but relatively similar to other provinces in Isaan.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChipButty said:

If she has family there all the more reason not to live there, live as far away as possible from the outlaws, 

I love my Thai family and lived with them for near 20 years... wonderful people... though not from Buriram - and not drinkers and gamblers and borrowers... 

others experiences surely differ.. 

we actually have in laws of one sister from Buriram and they are awful... I hope that is not a norm..

Obviously its a matter of personal preference but some people have been a little unfair to Buriram - if we are talking about the city.  Granted there isn't a lot to do for a foreigner but the city has changed beyond all recognition in recent years.  If you're a motor sport fan then its not so bad although personally, I wouldn't want to live there - but neither would I want to live in most places on the plain of Isaan - jeez it gets hot in summer and there's very little shelter.  If you're a person that likes to sit out on the porch and do nothing all day - a 'waiting for god' sort, you'll be fine anywhere, including Buriram.

I guess it all depends on what you're looking for - my nearest city is Pak Chong, more of a big town really.  When I first moved there I thought there was very little there that interested me.  A year or so later I'd discovered plenty of decent bars (one farang bar), snooker clubs, nightclubs and some very good restaurants.  Not sure the same can be found in Buriram but I have had a couple of excellent nights at Speed Disco ????.

As a foreigner, I think the best way to describe Buriram is - its just too far, its too far from anywhere.

To the guy who said Korat is boring - clean your glasses and put the beer down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Granted there isn't a lot to do for a foreigner but the city has changed beyond all recognition in recent years. 

That's what we had heard.  Figured it was worth asking some of the experts here that have had boots on the ground for years ????

Thanks for the comments everyone, keep them coming, really enjoying the read.