British airways not to fly to Bangkok till October 2021

cormanr7

Maybe a sign of things to come: British Aw will postpone flights to Bangkok till October 2021 https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/ba-halts-sydney-bangkok-flights-to-oct-2021-axes-kuala-lumpur#:~:text=British Airways will suspend its,Singapore service will remain open. Note that we are talking about a long period and that these decisions are sometimes reversed at short notice. Other European airlines including Finnair and KLM still list flights from BKK.

• Like 1

Old mate in NI just changed his tickets with them to October less than a week ago, poor sod, only wants to go to MotoGP and pay his respects to his wife who he burned here on March 1 this year and has been unable to come back and join the family in the later ceremony since. 

4 hours ago, Cobra666 said:

I am glad to hear this! Until each and every person in the UK is vaccinated, not one person should be allowed to leave the country.

News today from UK that Netherlands has stopped all UK people/flights into the Netherlands because of the new strain of covid in UK.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

News today from UK that Netherlands has stopped all UK people/flights into the Netherlands because of the new strain of covid in UK.

I love it. If you don`t get the vaccine you are selfish and only care about yourself. The sooner the better we build anti-vax camps to contain the spread, the faster we can build back better and get on with our lives.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cobra666 said:

I love it. If you don`t get the vaccine you are selfish and only care about yourself. The sooner the better we build anti-vax camps to contain the spread, the faster we can build back better and get on with our lives.

Sounds a bit 'brown shirt'.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Cobra666 said:

Not at all. If you kill someone by spreading a virus, how is that different to shooting someone? 

Because its not fatal to over 97%, many asymptomatic whereas a bullet is fatal 100% of the time when used as an execution tool.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

UK news now.

More and more EU countries banning or restricting travel from UK in various ways. Also Canada to bring in restrictions soon.

I hope they deny the UK access to imported foods until EACH AND EVERY person is vaccinated. That will make them rethink their stupidity. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cobra666 said:

I hope they deny the UK access to imported foods until EACH AND EVERY person is vaccinated. That will make them rethink their stupidity. 

I hope the UK bans all USA foods for a long long time. Especially any meat.

90% of veg' as well is contaminated with pesticides etc that have been banned in the UK and EU for years.

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I hope the UK bans all USA foods for a long long time. Especially any meat.

90% of veg' as well is contaminated with pesticides etc that have been banned in the UK and EU for years.

Cattle feed lots where the cattle never eat or see grass. Fed on corn enriched with growth hormones and added antibiotics. They live like this for their first year then are slaughtered. The pens are never cleaned so they walk around in their own ---- for that year.

cattle_feeding_frequently_asked_questions_1_636053741135665835.jpg

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

I agree and the same should go for the USA. It has a wonderful record on Covid so far.

Dunno how this thread descended into talking about food production.

But on the question of deaths, few countries have covered themselves in glory.

But to suggest that the US is an outlier is just wrong.

Yes it's up there, but at least in countries where I think the data is fairly solid, it's not at the top.

On the topic of countries where the data is reliable, I always think back to how Thailand categorizes road deaths. Unless you die at the scene it doesn't count! I wonder if the same may well be true of covid deaths?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality 

But once again. BA is a commercial enterprise. They cater to a demand. If there isn't a demand that will fill a widebody 80%+ they ain't gonna fly it.

Think of the analogy of restaurants the world over, They are either closed completely or forced to operate at 25-50% capacity.

They like airlines need to fill their available capacity or they go out of business.

I think we have across the world seen restaurants closing thick and fast for that very reason.

Airlines at least can try to mitigate the losses by parking up aircraft, suspending routes. The poor restaurant guy doesn't have that option, the rent still needs to be paid!

Latest Johns Hopkins report data

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 3.51.29 AM.png

Edited by GinBoy2

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Dunno how this thread descended into talking about food production.

But on the question of deaths, few countries have covered themselves in glory.

But to suggest that the US is an outlier is just wrong.

Yes it's up there, but at least in countries where I think the data is fairly solid, it's not at the top.

On the topic of countries where the data is reliable, I always think back to how Thailand categorizes road deaths. Unless you die at the scene it doesn't count! I wonder if the same may well be true of covid deaths?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality 

But once again. BA is a commercial enterprise. They cater to a demand. If there isn't a demand that will fill a widebody 80%+ they ain't gonna fly it.

Think of the analogy of restaurants the world over, They are either closed completely or forced to operate at 25-50% capacity.

They like airlines need to fill their available capacity or they go out of business.

I think we have across the world seen restaurants closing thick and fast for that very reason.

Airlines at least can try to mitigate the losses by parking up aircraft, suspending routes. The poor restaurant guy doesn't have that option, the rent still needs to be paid!

Latest Johns Hopkins report data

Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 3.51.29 AM.png

You might find this strange but the only statistic I'm interested in is the one that applies to me on this chinese virus.

Death rates in different countries I don't care about in any way.

Big corpration share holders suffering a monthly drop in their income meaning a few hundred thousand less in their income/savings of millions? as they say in Russia 'tufski <deleted>zki'.

Let the very rich share holders dig into their stash and help the employees have some to help get them through this time.

Of course I'm dreaming. I'm no pinkie commie by the way but I hate hearing the bleating of how much the shares have fallen in the market so let's save money by cutting down on services and get rid of a lot of the lowest paid workers.

Rant over.

Just to add that Thailand is known as a low yield destination for long haul airlines. Not enough business travellers basically. Take away the backpackers, price conscious travellers, and there's not a lot left. BA is still flying over 20 flights a week to the Caribbean from Gatwick. A much higher yield market.