can i extend a non-o visa based on retirement every year? what are the requirements? only the 800K in thai bank account or more?

i am a bit confused now. some agents told me a non-o is just a temporary visa and i must change to another for extension.

i am 62 and want a retirement visa. 1 agent told me he can change my TR visa here in thailand to non-0 first for 3 month and after a short while to non-o based on retirement. can i extend such visa every year at immigration easily with showing only the 800K. in thai bank account?

or do i need  more papers every year and need better an agent.

and the big question is if i need a health insurance for extend this visa type?

thanks for help

• Like 1

9 hours ago, piwie said:

i am a bit confused now. some agents told me a non-o is just a temporary visa and i must change to another for extension.

i am 62 and want a retirement visa. 1 agent told me he can change my TR visa here in thailand to non-0 first for 3 month and after a short while to non-o based on retirement. can i extend such visa every year at immigration easily with showing only the 800K. in thai bank account?

or do i need  more papers every year and need better an agent.

and the big question is if i need a health insurance for extend this visa type?

thanks for help

The first sentence seems confused. The agent may simply be stating the Non-Imm-O issued in Thailand is a stepping stone to the 12 month retirement extension. A Non-Imm-O Visa entry can be extended for various reasons, retirement being one of them. Then you actually say you have a TR Entry,  what the agent then says is correct. It can be converted to a Non-Imm-O Entry and 2.5 months later apply for a retirement extension. (I hear some agents get it done in one go). That can be extended yearly from that point. Yes 800k on deposit (for 2 months) for the first 12 month extension.... but the conditions for that extension are you keep the 800k minimum for 3 further months , then can use 400k, ie maintain 400k for 7 further months. Then back up to 800k 2 months ahead for the next extension. Clear as mud, I know, many just leave 800k alone for the whole year to  keep it simple. 

No Insurance required for this process.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

thank you. this was helpful.

i entered thailand on 28.11.20 and have the permission with my tr visa until 26.1.21.

am i right ... when i get this non-o visa  within the next 2 or 3 weeks and leave thailand in february i can come back with this visa and enter thailand 1 time before the the visa expire. so before 3 month. if i do like this i don't need multiple entry until this point.

than i can extend my permission of stay here in thailand at the immigration for 1 year , with some extra fees also multiple entry.

for this  visa include the extension of stay the agent want about 35k. is it so much cheaper direct at the immigration?

thanks again.

• Like 1

As others have said you can get an extension to stay, which is also called a retirement visa.

The Pattaya City Expat Club has an excellent section on Thai Immigration where you can find all the requirements for what you need to get the extension to stay.  You mouse over "THAI IMMIGRATION" from the list across the top of the Home page then mouse over "EXTENDING STAY" and then you can click on "RETIREMENT".   You can also select "CHONBURI IMMIGRATION" for the specific details for the Chonburi/Pattaya area.

Pattaya City Expat Club

One requirement that needs to me made clear is that the first time you apply you will should have a special 800,000 Bt bank account in your name only.  If you try to use a joint account only half the money deposited will be accepted by immigration.  Very importantly, you also need to keep a minimum of 800,000 Bt in that bank account for 2 months prior to your first application for a retirement visa if you are using the 800,000 Bt deposit method of showing that you have enough funds to live in Thailand.  The account balance must then remain more than 800,000 Bt for 3 months after the retirement visa is granted and the minimum balance must remain 400,000 or more the next 8 months.  You then need to increase the balance to the 800,000 Bt minimum again and keep it there for at least 3 months prior to applying for your application of an extension of your retirement visa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WashingUpagain said:

Hello everyone. Just a quickie from me too...when the covid restrictions are over, I intend to retire in Thailand. Can I enter on a normal 30 day visa exempt stay and apply for a Non O from with Thailand? and then apply to extend it.

Hi, @Tanoshi already provided you with a detailed answer on your question.  I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document outlining same, but might be useful as it goes in more depth in the various options for meeting the financial requirement.

> In order to access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your Profile when logged into the Forum

23 hours ago, piwie said:

thank you. this was helpful.

i entered thailand on 28.11.20 and have the permission with my tr visa until 26.1.21.

am i right ... when i get this non-o visa  within the next 2 or 3 weeks and leave thailand in february i can come back with this visa and enter thailand 1 time before the the visa expire. so before 3 month. if i do like this i don't need multiple entry until this point.

than i can extend my permission of stay here in thailand at the immigration for 1 year , with some extra fees also multiple entry.

for this  visa include the extension of stay the agent want about 35k. is it so much cheaper direct at the immigration?

thanks again.

Find a new agent there ripping you off at 35k

15 hours ago, WashingUpagain said:

Hello everyone. Just a quickie from me too...when the covid restrictions are over, I intend to retire in Thailand. Can I enter on a normal 30 day visa exempt stay and apply for a Non O from with Thailand? and then apply to extend it.

Contact @Peter Denis by PM and he'll send you a very concise and comprehensive PDF that will clearly outline all your options and each step to take. Tons of ancillary info on timing and insurance and bank letters as well. It's invaluable and he is constantly updating it. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

TM87 for the Non O application and TM7 for any and all extension applications attached here;

TM87.pdf 76.15 kB · 4 downloads

TM 7 Extension of Stay.pdf 137.22 kB · 2 downloads

You can download other Immigration forms from this link;

Immigration Templates - Thai visas, residency and work permits - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation .

Other useful information, such as Police Orders and Thai Immigration Act on this link;

Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc - Thai visas, residency and work permits - Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

When applying with VE or TV to Non O for 3 months and then 12 month extension requires 800K in Thai bank as noted but can I use pension letter or other proof from my former employer stating I'm getting >65K month for rest of my life as an American?  Since US embassy stop giving letters of pension/finance the only option is 800K in Thai bank?

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

US, UK and Australian citizens cannot use the Embassy issued income-letter method as their Embassies do not issue these letters anymore.

Those citizens when applying for the 1-year extension of stay of their Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa can make use of the following methods to meet the financial requirements:

- Funds-in-Bank method > easiest way as neither origins or source of those funds need to be proven to the IO

- Monthly Income Transfer method > requires transfer each and every month of at least the minimum amount with foreign origins of those transfers proven.  Also the Imm officer handling your application can ask for evidence of the SOURCE of those transfers (some IOs only accept a pension statement)

- Combination method > as the name says a combination of both methods, but not all IOs accept the use of that method so need to enquire beforehand when considering to make use of it.

thank you again. all where very helpful.

the problem is i am in samui now. i was there at immigration office and told them what i want really clearly explained.  but they refuse to change a TR visa to non - o  and say i have to do it out of thailand only.

i went to the next officer and she also refused. after my complain she said she would ask her boss within the next days and i need to come back later.

what can i do if they refuse?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply to quoted text

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Useful and informative post - thanks.

One correction however > In the very last sentence, you mention that when using the Funds-in-Bank method that  you need to top up again to +800K in the last 3 months prior to applying for the 1-year extension of stay application based on your original Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa for reason of retirement.

But note that since 1 March of last year this has been changed, and that only TWO months of  +800K are required prior to the moment of application

I guess I am just out of date in more ways than one.  ????

Thanks for the correction.  ????

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, piwie said:

the problem is i am in samui now. i was there at immigration office and told them what i want really clearly explained.  but they refuse to change a TR visa to non - o  and say i have to do it out of thailand only.

The problem is that the rules for a visa application have not been changed. They only show a letter from your embassy for the application.

It should be accepted if you have 2 or 3 months of transfers of at least 65k baht into a Thai bank from abroad. Even for a extension stay application they want to see 12 months of transfers.

3 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

US, UK and Australian citizens cannot use the Embassy issued income-letter method as their Embassies do not issue these letters anymore.

Those citizens when applying for the 1-year extension of stay of their Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa can make use of the following methods to meet the financial requirements:

- Funds-in-Bank method > easiest way as neither origins or source of those funds need to be proven to the IO

- Monthly Income Transfer method > requires transfer each and every month of at least the minimum amount with foreign origins of those transfers proven.  Also the Imm officer handling your application can ask for evidence of the SOURCE of those transfers (some IOs only accept a pension statement)

- Combination method > as the name says a combination of both methods, but not all IOs accept the use of that method so need to enquire beforehand when considering to make use of it.

Just curious, why US, UK and Australian embassies don't provide income letter for retirement like they did before?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The problem is that the rules for a visa application have not been changed. They only show a letter from your embassy for the application.

It should be accepted if you have 2 or 3 months of transfers of at least 65k baht into a Thai bank from abroad. Even for a extension stay application they want to see 12 months of transfers.

Joe, If arrived with TV and open an account with Bangkok Bank and  deposit > 65K per month immediately and than apply for Non O entry based on retirement for another 2 months for total of 4 months of >65K foreign money transfers should meet the requirement for 12 month extension or do I need show 12 months of >65K/mo to get that  extension in Jomtien?

12 minutes ago, gt162 said:

Just curious, why US, UK and Australian embassies don't provide income letter for retirement like they did before?

Because immigration wanted the income confirmed by them and they were unable to copy with that requirement due to restrictions on what they are able to do.

That was discussed to death over 2 years ago.