Need insurance for COE application

Need insurance for COE  application in the amount of 400K and 40K for only 5 months. Can anyone recommend a company  that you buy online ? Have Cigna but the Thai Embassy will not accept it. 

Thanks 

Which visa? If it is a visa that require a Thai insurance company, then LMG offers the cheapest policy. Please be aware that the LMG policy is not worth much except for getting a visa/COE. If you want decent coverage, you will need another policy also.

If you want only one policy, take a look at Pacific Cross; while most insurance policies are for a full year, Pacific Cross offer one for six months. It is more expensive than LMG but it has better coverage. Please be aware that they have a waiting period; thus, you have to get the policy a couple of weeks before arriving in Thailand if you want coverage from day 1.

If you are allowed to use a non-Thai insurance company there are better choices; others may offer some advice on those.

• Like 2

I just got one2go for my COE, seems great.  8000 B for 90 days.  Approved by the Thai govt., refund if the policy isn't approved.  I'm 72, so this took some searching to find.  Also, it;s the first time in years that I'll have medical insurance in Thailand.

49 minutes ago, farang51 said:

Which visa? If it is a visa that require a Thai insurance company, then LMG offers the cheapest policy. Please be aware that the LMG policy is not worth much except for getting a visa/COE. If you want decent coverage, you will need another policy also.

If you want only one policy, take a look at Pacific Cross; while most insurance policies are for a full year, Pacific Cross offer one for six months. It is more expensive than LMG but it has better coverage. Please be aware that they have a waiting period; thus, you have to get the policy a couple of weeks before arriving in Thailand if you want coverage from day 1.

If you are allowed to use a non-Thai insurance company there are better choices; others may offer some advice on those.

Whats the price for 9 months or 1 year of the outpatient plan at LMG?

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

The LMG policy is for 1 year. The price depends on your age, starting at 3.900 baht for a 41 - 50 years old and a policy with a 200.000 baht deduction. You can find the various prices in this PDF:

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/Products/Documents/Universal - Long Stay VISA OA with Deductible Feb 2020.pdf

Thanks, ive read the link you sent me, though im wondering what deductible means.. As i understand the price starts at 3900 baht for 1 year. But what about the 100k or 200k baht deduction? do i have to pay that as well?

DEDUCTIBLE refers to the first fixed amount of eligible medical expenses per visit or per disability for which the covered person is responsible for paying as stated in the policy schedule.

I dont quite understand this.

Edited by sweetserenity

17 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

Thanks, ive read the link you sent me, though im wondering what deductible means.. As i understand the price starts at 3900 baht for 1 year. But what about the 100k or 200k baht deduction? do i have to pay that as well?

Essentially what it means is that you would have to pay out of pocket 100k (or 200k, depending on coverage)  before benefits kick in. It's a crappy insurance policy. Let's hope that whoever buys it never has to use it.

Edited by Gumballl

1 minute ago, Gumballl said:

It's not a deduction... but a deductible.

Essentially what it means is that you would have to pay out of pocket 100k (or 200k, depending on coverage)  before benefits kick in. It's a crappy insurance policy. Let's hope that whoever buys it never has to use it.

Which benefits? I would be categorized as an outpatient and very healthy person, i know that corona virus wont bring me down or anything so if deductible has benefits besides the insurance thing, can i then avoid paying it? I dont need any benefits besides the insurance so i can get visa approved. Im expecting to be vaccinated before going thailand again so im sure i wont need any benefits

30 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

Hi, an insurance deductible is the amount you have to pay yourself when making an insurance claim, so the insurance coverage only kicks in for the amount beyond the deductible.  So obviously, an insurance with a deductible is CHEAPER than one which pays the full amount of your claim.

I also did PM you a guideline document on how to meet the insurance-requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country.  That insurance-requirement has now also been made applicable in some countries when applying for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (or wanting to return to Thailand on a Re-Entry Permit protected permission to stay of such Visa).

Note: When your Thai Embassy/Consulate also imposes that health-insurance requirement for the Non Imm O Visa it is worthwhile to consider applying for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa instead of the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged in to the Forum.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sweetserenity said:

Which benefits? I would be categorized as an outpatient and very healthy person, i know that corona virus wont bring me down or anything so if deductible has benefits besides the insurance thing, can i then avoid paying it? I dont need any benefits besides the insurance so i can get visa approved. Im expecting to be vaccinated before going thailand again so im sure i wont need any benefits

What I was attempting to say is that once you have purchased the insurance, you have one facet of what is required to overcome the COE blessing.

If you should get sick in Thailand, the insurance policy will not pay out a dime until you have paid out-of-pocket 100K (or 200K) baht.

9 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

What I was attempting to say is that once you have purchased the insurance, you have one facet of what is required to overcome the COE blessing.

If you should get sick in Thailand, the insurance policy will not pay out a dime until you have paid out-of-pocket 100K (or 200K) baht.

Lol okay that doesnt seem to make sense in my ears, so in theory we're just paying the insurance fee to be allowed to get into the country, if we get really sick and are dying, they would let us die if we cant pay that 100-200k, then whats the point by this rule 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

Lol okay that doesnt seem to make sense in my ears, so in theory we're just paying the insurance fee to be allowed to get into the country, if we get really sick and are dying, they would let us die if we cant pay that 100-200k, then whats the point by this rule 

SOS in the US. My insurance deductible is $3000/person, $6000/family. I pay 25% of my insurance costs, my employer pays the other 75%. My costs are north of $550/month.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, sweetserenity said:

That pretty much sums it up.

In my case, on an OA extension based on retirement, I paid 6000 baht ( LMG Policy with 200k deductible ) to renew my extension recently.

I see that as a requirement to obtain the extension rather than a worthwhile insurance policy.

If you want an insurance policy to enable your entry into the country, min 400k/40k, plus a policy you might actually want to use then I suggest you look at a more expensive policy with Pacific Cross.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

The official reason for imposing the mandatory 400K/40K health-insurance on the Non Imm O-A Visa was to cover unpaid hospital bills.  But in reality that was just an excuse to allow the Thai insurance lobby to sell their worthless/overpriced insurance policies.  They made it difficult to meet the specific IO insurance requirements when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa with international/foreign insurance, and even made it impossible to use international/foreign insurance when applying for the 1-year extension of such Visa.  In essence it is recommended, to opt for the cheapest possible option that meets the IO-requirement but you need to be aware that that insurance is in fact nothing more than an 'entry-paper' i.e. a worthless but mandatory paper needed for entering and staying in Thailand.

Do note that it is actually very much recommended to be well insured when staying in Thailand in case of catastrophic accident/illness, and foreign/international insurance will then often best meet your specific needs.  But tieing it to mandatory Immigration requirements clouds the issue and the Thai insurance lobby has made a fortune by imposing their low-value expensive product-offerings on gullible foreigners.

Is it still the case,  that they have a clause in the Thai issued insurance policies, which eliminates the cover, unless you have stayed in Thailand for 6 months? Or,  has that general clause been modified in any way?

The probability is in six months time, older people will be vaccinated with a travel pass that WHO wants, that makes being vaccinated appeal, incl. travellers, this would void isolation in most countries. Given the few infections here, I doubt an outbreak pre vaccine. 

1 hour ago, Thaindrew said:

AXA (Thailand) is a good option, 30, 60, 90, 180 day options, its on the approved list and I have just had it instantly accepted by the Thai Embassy in Shanghai 

I guess you mean the Sawasdee Thailand Inbound Travel Insurance; that certainly looks good. I didn't see that at their website when I checked prices a couple of months ago.

Added:

I am not sure I understand this policy. Do you need the AXA's Smart Care Executive - Long Stay visa policy in addition to this or does the Sawasdee policy work as a standalone policy? If the latter, it is very cheap, and then I don't really se why anyone would get the AXA's Smart Care Executive - Long Stay visa.

Edited by farang51

10 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I guess you mean the Sawasdee Thailand Inbound Travel Insurance; that certainly looks good. I didn't see that at their website when I checked prices a couple of months ago.

And it is available till age of 75 years, which makes it worthwhile for those over 69 years of age that cannot subscribe to SafetyWing travel-insurance which charges lower fees for similar or higher coverage (also including covid-19 treatment coverage).

On 12/19/2020 at 4:21 PM, farang51 said:

Added:

I am not sure I understand this policy. Do you need the AXA's Smart Care Executive - Long Stay visa policy in addition to this or does the Sawasdee policy work as a standalone policy? If the latter, it is very cheap, and then I don't really se why anyone would get the AXA's Smart Care Executive - Long Stay visa.

yes the Sawasdee Insurance, you don't need anything else, just take cover for as long as you will be in Thailand, I took 6 months cover for a planned 4 month trip and they can date it to start on your arrival date. I had my COE approved with just this policy so you don't need any other cover. There is no excess either which is good at the price point.

2 hours ago, Thaindrew said:

yes the Sawasdee Insurance, you don't need anything else, just take cover for as long as you will be in Thailand, I took 6 months cover for a planned 4 month trip and they can date it to start on your arrival date. I had my COE approved with just this policy so you don't need any other cover. There is no excess either which is good at the price point.

Thanks, that means it is better than the LMG throw-away policy and depending of age, it may also be cheaper. And if you do not already have a 40.000/400.000 policy, it is also cheaper than the TGIA COVID policy.

Edited by farang51

Has anyone had any issue with the policy provided? They state for insurance from a non Thai company requires the "Original health insurance policy", not sure what that means, I did my insurance online so it's a print out (copy).

"In addition to the existing required documents, visa applicant for Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (for retirement long stay) must furnish a completed “Insurance Certificate”, as well as an original health insurance policy. A copy of the health insurance policymay only be accepted, provided that the applicant purchases the health insurance from participating Thai insurance companies as listed here http://longstay.tgia.org/." Source from thaiconsulatechicago

3 hours ago, Suphawk said:

Has anyone had any issue with the policy provided? They state for insurance from a non Thai company requires the "Original health insurance policy", not sure what that means, I did my insurance online so it's a print out (copy).

If that is the 40/400k  baht insurance for the OA visa application it appears you will need to ask the insurance company to send you the policy in the mail.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thaindrew said:

Dependent on age/nationality you can buy separate policies covering both insurance requirements for  a 4 month trip for something like 10 to 12.000 THB in total.

So if that Sawasdee Insurance meets both the IO-approved 400K/40K health-insurance requirement and the 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance requirement.  What did you pay for your 6-month policy (for your age and nationality)? 

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Dependent on age/nationality you can buy separate policies covering both insurance requirements for  a 4 month trip for something like 10 to 12.000 THB in total.

So if that Sawasdee Insurance meets both the IO-approved 400K/40K health-insurance requirement and the 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance requirement.  What did you pay for your 6-month policy (for your age and nationality)? 

13900 baht, i took six months on the basis of who knows what flight options there will be in 4 months time, or a new lockdown etc. Same price any age and country (well, there are a few at risk countries that cost a little more like USA) and it covers all the insurance requirements yes with no excess.

8 minutes ago, Thaindrew said:

13900 baht, i took six months on the basis of who knows what flight options there will be in 4 months time, or a new lockdown etc. Same price any age and country (well, there are a few at risk countries that cost a little more like USA) and it covers all the insurance requirements yes with no excess.

Yes at that price, covering both the 400K/40K health-insurance and the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance, it looks indeed like one of the best options available while also providing some real value instead of a 'paper' entry policy.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes at that price, covering both the 400K/40K health-insurance and the 100.000 US $ covid-19 treatment insurance, it looks indeed like one of the best options available while also providing some real value instead of a 'paper' entry policy.

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately the Thai Embassy in Paris don't seem to accept the Sawasdee Thailand cover for long-term health insurance in addition to COVID. Have to buy two policies, Sawasdee Thailand plus the long-term health coverage (for COE with existing non-O visa and re-entry permit).

They require the MOPH certificate of insurance to be filled out and signed by the Director of the insurance company for the 40k/400k requirement.

15 minutes ago, sussex said:

Unfortunately the Thai Embassy in Paris don't seem to accept the Sawasdee Thailand cover for long-term health insurance in addition to COVID. Have to buy two policies, Sawasdee Thailand plus the long-term health coverage (for COE with existing non-O visa and re-entry permit).

They require the MOPH certificate of insurance to be filled out and signed by the Director of the insurance company for the 40k/400k requirement.

The Thai Embassies/Consulates abroad indeed only accept either

- Thai IO-approved policies issued by TGIA-associated insurers and meeting the 400K/40K in/out-patient coverage requirement, OR

- Foreign/international insurance that meets the 400K/40K in/out-patient requirement, as stated in the Foreign Insurance Certificate filled-in and signed by the insurer.

>> I presumed the Sawasdee Thailand policy was a TGIA-issued and approved policy as @Thaindrew did use that policy for that purpose < see higher >.

If that is not the case, there is still the option of the LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy to meet the health-insurance requirement.  And as a French citizen insured with CFE (Caisse des Français de l'Etranger, a semi-private company associated with the French Social Security) you can even get that approved and cheapest available policy at 40% reduction.

If the Sawasdee policy does not cover health-insurance but only meets the 100.000 US $ covid-19 insurance requirement, there are also other options available to meet that requirement (e.g. the SafetyWing travel-insurance package, or if you are 70 years or older the TGIA covid-19 only insurance).

Edited by Peter Denis