Who's your favorite comedian?

Lacessit

Well here is a question.  How many female  comedies do you like to watch? Interesting that none are mentioned here.  I just don't think there is a funny one among them.  Katherine Ryan comes close, as does Jo Brand, but in Brand's case  her politics makes it hard to like her as a person and I think it's important to like a comedian to find them funny . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Just to add a sour note (as is my won't) I find some very famous, much lauded comedians totally not funny.

I won't name them here for fear of retribution....but does anyone else have a stand-out, not funny, famous comedian?

I've always found Seinfeld to be as funny as a crutch, sneering humor.

This is a classic Australian ballad from a fairly unknown bush poet, if one can make it past the Aussie accent.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

There are two Australian films, "Malcolm" and "Kenny". To any Aussie, they are ROFL. To toffy Brits, they are crude, and they go straight through to the wicketkeeper with Americans.

For deadpan Australian humor, delivered by a Kiwi no less, nothing beats this.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Can't make up my mind between Dave Allen on religion, or Robin Williams on golf.

There is a famous TV clip in which an enraged Robin Williams is asked by a young reporter: 'Hey Robin! When did you stop being funny?' The answer is: When he started doing to much Charlie. A long time before his awful role in GMV. Maybe his live stand up remained funny but often TV because of its restrictions kills humor.

I would say a lot of comedians are entertaining rather than genuinely funny......there are not many that can make you 'belly ache' laugh......and even the ones that do it is only on occasions ..........I guess I might be the problem (no need to respond to that).

Dara Ó Briain îs good...and some of The Inbetweeners was hilarious.

Another vote for Gary Delaney, his one liners are inspired !

Also Stewart Francis I find very funny.

Jim Gaffigan is another favourite but not so much now he started introducing politics into his stand up .

Sean Locke and the gang on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown are all hilarious, but Sean and Jon Richardson stand up is cringeworthy IMO.

Can’t abide Mickey Flanagan ,John Bishop, Russell Howard or Rob Beckett ( the only thing funny about him is his teeth ! ).

Anything with Greg Davies or Rik Mayall is worthy of a watch IMO.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nout said:

Thank you for your reply. Your broad minded approach to both humor and communication skills is interesting. I think there is a generational issue about racist humour. That which demeans black people because of their differences is neither funny or clever.That which pokes fun at ignorant racism is both amusing and meaningful because it  examines the human condition. Whatever our opinions are and how they differ we can both agree there is no place for the racist slurs of yesteryear in contemporary media. Imagine you are a little black boy or black girl watching that racist trash and trying to make sense of the world....trying to 'go out and play' with other white kids in the street with those shameful insults echoing in her head....Not nice is it?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Hard to choose just 1

Dennis Leary, Spike Milligan, Billie Connolly, Steve Coogan, Robin Williams, Richard Prior, Eddie Murphy, and Steve Martin

All but one is dead! And from the eighties mainly. Thanks to you tube we can watch both the old stuff and the modern contemporary talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah thanks I couldn't remember the name I think it got changed later you have a great memory Bailey's was a great place to take a new girlfriend I really liked the atmosphere of that place. 

My favorite of Jim's was Chalkie pulls up at the traffic lights and has trouble with his car getting into gear the lights are changing red amber green,  red amber green,  so there a knock on Chalkie window, he winds it down and the is a skinny plod with his police hat on looking like a bic biro, the cunxstable said is there not a colour you like sir. No No says Chalkie I've got trouble putting car in gear. The cunxstable said you have trouble with your back light,  Chalkie get out go around saying it was OK before and kick it and it came, saying there there see is OK,  the cunxstable said OK but do mind going to the front and kicking the windscreen and see if Road Tax Disc comes up. ????

Yup - I remember that one!

I actually saw Jim D before his big TV break when he was a regular support act at a pub in Peckham called The Montague Arms. JD was on just after the stripper and before the starring act, a band called Giggles who I'd actually gone.to see.

Stripper waddles (really) off, Jim leaps on stage and says..."Did you see that....Gary Glitter's Grannie?"????????????

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 2