Who's your favorite comedian?

Lacessit

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Just to add a sour note (as is my won't) I find some very famous, much lauded comedians totally not funny.

I won't name them here for fear of retribution....but does anyone else have a stand-out, not funny, famous comedian?

There are too many. But that awful Vicar of Dibley woman springs to mind.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

Yup - I remember that one!

I actually saw Jim D before his big TV break when he was a regular support act at a pub in Peckham called The Montague Arms. JD was on just after the stripper and before the starring act, a band called Giggles who I'd actually gone.to see.

Stripper waddles (really) off, Jim leaps on stage and says..."Did you see that....Gary Glitter's Grannie?"????????????

Yeah good stuff and Jim was an ok one of lads guy,  PC put him down, sad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I am related to 'cheekie chappie' aka Max Miller, I think he is my great Uncle.

Anyway I have the same love of inuendo as him.

He was banned by the BBC months after a broadcast he made. He was master of both the innuendo and the double meaning....had to be because of censorship.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Another vote for Gary Delaney, his one liners are inspired !

Also Stewart Francis I find very funny.

Jim Gaffigan is another favourite but not so much now he started introducing politics into his stand up .

Sean Locke and the gang on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown are all hilarious, but Sean and Jon Richardson stand up is cringeworthy IMO.

Can’t abide Mickey Flanagan ,John Bishop, Russell Howard or Rob Beckett ( the only thing funny about him is his teeth ! ).

Anything with Greg Davies or Rik Mayall is worthy of a watch IMO.

Interesting post.

26 minutes ago, Nout said:

He was banned by the BBC months after a broadcast he made. He was master of both the innuendo and the double meaning....had to be because of censorship.

So actually was George Formby...for this among others

Far too risqué for the times!

Edited by VBF

1 hour ago, talahtnut said:

'The Young Ones', Spike Milligan, Etc. Etc.

Spike is, to me just the greatest. I have all the Goon Shows, his books and most of "Q" in addition to the short-lived "Curry and Chips"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A post with racist comments has been reported and removed. The inflammatory posts related to that post have been removed. 

A post with a video containing profane language has been removed as per this forum rule:

8.) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

Any more videos that are found to be using profane language will be removed without further notice. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Another vote for Gary Delaney, his one liners are inspired !

Also Stewart Francis I find very funny.

Jim Gaffigan is another favourite but not so much now he started introducing politics into his stand up .

Sean Locke and the gang on 8 out of 10 cats does countdown are all hilarious, but Sean and Jon Richardson stand up is cringeworthy IMO.

Can’t abide Mickey Flanagan ,John Bishop, Russell Howard or Rob Beckett ( the only thing funny about him is his teeth ! ).

Anything with Greg Davies or Rik Mayall is worthy of a watch IMO.

Well for me Delaney and Francis I love - the others not so much, but I have to disagree with you about Micky Flanagan (no "e") - I love his stuff and can watch it again and again.

Also a great fan of Hal Cruttenden who I saw this year. But it pays to remember that with comedy, music, most art and food, there are 2 types of each....what you like and what you don't like.

Edited by VBF

29 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

People like you make me wanna puke. 

We live in an ever-changing world. Ideas and values change. If having your values about humour being mildly challenged cause you such distress then so be it. Good luck. Take care and carry on laughing.

44 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah good stuff and Jim was an ok one of lads guy,  PC put him down, sad. 

Did you know, Jim Davidson does a lot of work with British Troops in hotspots like Iraq, Afghanistan etc?

Now I bet there is nothing "PC" about those shows! ????

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, VBF said:

Did you know, Jim Davidson does a lot of work with British Troops in hotspots like Iraq, Afghanistan etc?

Now I bet there is nothing "PC" about those shows! ????

Yeah I do know, like I said his an OK guy but there's A - hole's on this thread already that have no open minds and no flexible sense of humour.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

You might try John Pinette too... very funny. 

Just watching his "Still Hungry" sketch having never heard the name before.

Not sure....... 

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Well here is a question.  How many female  comedies do you like to watch? Interesting that none are mentioned here.  I just don't think there is a funny one among them.  Katherine Ryan comes close, as does Jo Brand, but in Brand's case  her politics makes it hard to like her as a person and I think it's important to like a comedian to find them funny . 

That was real tog dog male chauvinism BS! Sounds to me that your real problem is that you are unable to se a female as your equal.

21 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

That was real tog dog male chauvinism BS! Sounds to me that your real problem is that you are unable to se a female as your equal.

No, there just isn't a funny one, in my view. The kind of humour I like does not lend itself to a female approach and delivery.  Oh, and just for a little bit of an update for you, females are equal, but  just different, haven't you noticed yet?  Don't make more of it than it is. 

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of the best standups live, including Dave Allen, Dame Edna, Ben Elton, Alexei Sayle, Connolly, Rowan Atkinson, Jack Dee, Victor Borge and more.

Of them all, the one who probably made me laugh most (I was lucky enough to see his comeback shows) was Max Wall.

One US star (only): Rich Hall. Although if we are allowed to go back, Keaton was a total genius who made Chaplin look like a beginner.

I can't ever remember an intentionally funny female.