Who's your favorite comedian?

Lacessit

Just now, Lacessit said:

Ah well, each to his own. I'm trying to think what would be an adult comedy routine.

This scene of Hogan's is one of the most iconic in film history. No one could say it's unoriginal.

Now, that was a very funny movie. both the first and the second. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

true but it doesn't make him funny, just a good business man.  Heard from a mate who was in Vietnam in 1969 that when Bob Hope appeared one Christmas, with his travelling show,  he was arrogant and stand offish, unless you were a high ranking officer. Its not the first time I have heard and read that about him.  Lots of indications that the man was a bit of a fraud and not as saintly as he was always portrayed. 

Much of the old comedy becomes horribly dated but I think he is still amusing in some of the old movies. He delivered a line well.  W C Fields is a comedian who is still funny today. Many of the British comedians  of the 60's and 70's stand up OK. Carry on, Frankie Howard, Cook and Moore, Monty Python of course,  the old sitcoms are OK. Personal taste I suppose or lack thereof.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Much of the old comedy becomes horribly dated but I think he is still amusing in some of the old movies. He delivered a line well.  W C Fields is a comedian who is still funny today. Many of the British comedians  of the 60's and 70's stand up OK. Carry on, Frankie Howard, Cook and Moore, Monty Python of course,  the old sitcoms are OK. Personal taste I suppose or lack thereof.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

No doubt, Dave Allen is (was) the King ???? of comedy. 

I was lucky enough to see Dave Allen live in Melbourne, many years ago. His fart routine had the whole audience helpless with laughter. This is actually a milder version.

Most of the comics I've seen live on stage - him, the two Ronnies, Dom Deluise, Billy Connolly, Steady Eddy etc. are considerably more risque there than in studio filming.

• Haha 2

I have the pleasure to nominate:

1. The Donald for his play "He got more votes but I won"

2. Boris Johnson for the piece "Outright Lies" and last but not least

3. Kim Yong Un for "Rocket Man"

But the winner is - far ahead of Monty Python

:violin::violin::violin:

The British Parliament with special appearance of John Bercow as "The Speaker" for the unforgotten Show "Brexit Season 2019".

I did follow it many nights on the Guardian's Blog. My god did I have a good laugh !! Priceless indeed.

Henry van der Sluys, stage name Roy Rene Mo, was virtually unknown outside Australia, and a household name in it. A master of ribald, lewd, larrikin and innuendo, he used makeup to accent a Jewish appearance. His radio serial McCackie Mansions was obligatory listening for my mother and father. He only made one B&W film, Strike Me Lucky.

Dame Sybil Thorndike and Jack Benny tried to convince him to go to the UK and America respectively. He declined, saying his type of humor was only relevant in Australian culture.

32 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Henry van der Sluys, stage name Roy Rene Mo, was virtually unknown outside Australia, and a household name in it. A master of ribald, lewd, larrikin and innuendo, he used makeup to accent a Jewish appearance. His radio serial McCackie Mansions was obligatory listening for my mother and father. He only made one B&W film, Strike Me Lucky.

Dame Sybil Thorndike and Jack Benny tried to convince him to go to the UK and America respectively. He declined, saying his type of humor was only relevant in Australian culture.

Don't forget Stiffy his sidekick

22 hours ago, Nout said:

All but one is dead! And from the eighties mainly. Thanks to you tube we can watch both the old stuff and the modern contemporary talent.

That'll be news to either Steve Coogan or Billy Connolly.

Will you break the bad news to one of them?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I was lucky enough to see Dave Allen live in Melbourne, many years ago. His fart routine had the whole audience helpless with laughter. This is actually a milder version.

Most of the comics I've seen live on stage - him, the two Ronnies, Dom Deluise, Billy Connolly, Steady Eddy etc. are considerably more risque there than in studio filming.

Absolutely brilliant performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

That´s what a bored and sad person would say. However, I hope that it´s just a one time glitch and you are not one of them.

I'm quite an upbeat and happy individual, I just don't like  the human race much.  In just 4 million short years, we have managed to ruin a most beauty celestial object and we are doing it faster and more comprehensively each year that goes by.  Animals I love, people,  or more precisely humanity as a species, not so much, but 'bored and sad', hardly ever, unless it's playing golf.   

20 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Yeah....that I like!!!

"If I see a salad........." Brilliant!!

When it got to the bit about water skiing, it reminded me of my failed attempts!

He reminds me a little of John Candy

Thank you @kenk24 ????

Edited by VBF

4 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

May I suggest Nina Conti

She I have seen about 4 times on "Live at the Apollo" and sadly leaves me cold but I never was keen on "vents".

Can see the appeal to others though.

Like your location Neal...personally I'm in "tiers" ????

Edited by VBF

2 hours ago, mrfill said:

That'll be news to either Steve Coogan or Billy Connolly.

Will you break the bad news to one of them?

Ok 2 then. The majority are dead. But I'm sure you get my point. The most interesting thing about this thread is how it exposes the demographics of the forum. I found it very informative that so many Brits reference comedians from the 80s! Thats 40 years ago! It was also interesting to see the percentage of Australian contributors.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

I'm quite an upbeat and happy individual, I just don't like  the human race much.  In just 4 million short years, we have managed to ruin a most beauty celestial object and we are doing it faster and more comprehensively each year that goes by.  Animals I love, people,  or more precisely humanity as a species, not so much, but 'bored and sad', hardly ever, unless it's playing golf.   

I sense

20 minutes ago, Nout said:

Ok 2 then. The majority are dead. But I'm sure you get my point. The most interesting thing about this thread is how it exposes the demographics of the forum. I found it very informative that so many Brits reference comedians from the 80s! Thats 40 years ago! It was also interesting to see the percentage of Australian contributors.

Such misanthropic and distopian views indicates a far from healthy world view. People who prefer animals to humans have indeed lost some of their human reason. Have you considered help or counseling?

15 minutes ago, Nout said:

Franki Boyle

If you like crude and gross insult comedy, he's pretty good at it.

To me, the best comedians are the ones who can have me ROFL without a single swear word.

Anyone remember Jackie Gleason and Frank Fontaine?