does my wife need to covid 19 test traveling to Scotland with emirates airline from Thailand

highlander76

Also;

COVID‑19 PCR test requirements for Dubai by country

The following entry rules apply to tourists travelling to Dubai from these countries and territories:

Algeria, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives Islands, Mauritius, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of North Macedonia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United States

• Tourists must present a valid negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 96 hours before departure.
  • The certificate must be for a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. Other test certificates including antibody tests and home testing kits are not accepted in Dubai.
  • If you are taking a test before you depart, you must bring an official, printed certificate in English or Arabic to check in – SMS and digital certificates are not accepted.
  • If you are transiting in Dubai from the countries listed above, you are not required to present a COVID‑19 PCR test certificate unless it is mandated by your country of origin or final destination.

Would read emirates flight terms as they depend on country . I don’t think would need a test to get into Scotland but would be home quarantined upon arrival .

You can also get a quick test in Dubai airport as far as I remember, think it’s about £60 with hour turnaround time . It’s not a PCR test but it is one emirates accept from reading.

All entrants (except GCC), including transit passengers, to the UAE are required to have a PCR test - I think its within 96 hours of their flight.  I don't see much mention of it on either Emirates or Etihad's websites - probably because it will add around £300 to their flight price (its both ways so if your wife is returning, she will need another test).

I have no doubt that they will notify passengers AFTER they buy their ticket.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/covid-19/dubai-travel-requirements/tourists/

Edited by KhaoYai

I flew from Muscat to Glasgow via Dubai last month - I had a valid PCR certificate but nobody asked for it at any stage in the journey. The only requirement was to complete the UK Gov online form in advance and show the confirmation at check-in. 

The Emirates website is a bit confusing because you need to hunt for the transit advice. This is the link I eventually found today, because I am returning to Muscat shortly:

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/faqs/do-i-need-a-covid-19-pcr-test-if-i-m-connecting-through-dubai/

Do I need a COVID-19 PCR test if I'm connecting through Dubai?

The COVID‑19 PCR test requirements for transiting passengers vary depending on your country of origin.

If you are transiting in Dubai from one of the countries or territories listed below, you are not required to present a COVID‑19 PCR test certificate unless it is mandated by your final destination.

Algeria, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives Islands, Mauritius, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Poland, Portugal, Republic of North Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States

• Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:48 AM, KhaoYai said:

All entrants (except GCC), including transit passengers, to the UAE are required to have a PCR test - I think its within 96 hours of their flight.  I don't see much mention of it on either Emirates or Etihad's websites - probably because it will add around £300 to their flight price (its both ways so if your wife is returning, she will need another test).

I have no doubt that they will notify passengers AFTER they buy their ticket.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/covid-19/dubai-travel-requirements/tourists/

You've written that a test is required but your link goes to a page that says it's not required.  Can you clarify?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, treetops said:

You've written that a test is required but your link goes to a page that says it's not required.  Can you clarify?

Are you sure you've read it correctly? This is from the link:

EDIT:  I may be wrong here - just read it again myself, I presume you are relying on the information about whether or not the final destination country requires a test?  All I can say is that this differs from the information I was given by Etihad in July when I was looking into a flight for my wife.  It could be that Dubai (Emirates) has better transit facilities or the UAE has changed its policy.

The following entry rules apply to tourists travelling to Dubai from these countries and territories:

Algeria, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives Islands, Mauritius, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of North Macedonia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United States

• Tourists must present a valid negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 96 hours before departure.
  • The certificate must be for a polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test. Other test certificates including antibody tests and home testing kits are not accepted in Dubai.
  • If you are taking a test before you depart, you must bring an official, printed certificate in English or Arabic to check in – SMS and digital certificates are not accepted.
  • If you are transiting in Dubai from the countries listed above, you are not required to present a COVID‑19 PCR test certificate unless it is mandated by your country of origin or final destination.
  • Passengers taking advantage of our Dubai Connect service who have booked a hotel outside the airport must present a valid negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 96 hours before departure.
Edited by KhaoYai

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Are you sure you've read it correctly? This is from the link:

• If you are transiting in Dubai from the countries listed above, you are not required to present a COVID‑19 PCR test certificate unless it is mandated by your country of origin or final destination.
  • Passengers taking advantage of our Dubai Connect service who have booked a hotel outside the airport must present a valid negative COVID‑19 PCR test certificate for a test taken no more than 96 hours before departure.

Second bullet point from the bottom says it's not required for transit passengers.

One thing that should be noted is that a Thai citizen, who would not normally have to provide a negative PCR test when they are returning to Thailand to go into quarantine MAY have to provide one.  Its a little confusing and I would check with the airline.

On the one hand it says that a test will not be required if travelling from the UK and transiting through Dubai but it goes on to say unless its mandated by the destination country.  Thailand currently only requires a 'foreigner' to provide a negative test. I can see that causing some confusion and check in is the wrong time to argue the point.