Returning to Thailand with current Retirement visa

I have to return to my home country for 2 weeks. Is it possible to return using my current retirement visa, and quarantine in Phuket or Bangkok at one of the special hotels. What other documents will I need and will I need to get an entry permit from local embassy? Or do I have to come back on a tourist visa?

8 minutes ago, junkie said:

I have to return to my home country for 2 weeks. Is it possible to return using my current retirement visa, and quarantine in Phuket or Bangkok at one of the special hotels. What other documents will I need and will I need to get an entry permit from local embassy? Or do I have to come back on a tourist visa?

You need to get a reentry permit from your local Immigration office.

if you can return you will have to quarantine, depends if you arrive

in Bangkok or Phuket.

regards Worgeordie

Do you have a valid OA or a non-o visa or do you have a extension of stay based upon retirement and a valid re-entry permit for it?

You a can get a certificate of entry to enter the country. Which embassy or official consulate will you be applying for it at?

20 hours ago, junkie said:

As others have said I strongly urge you to not leave Thailand at this time. I was in the USA from mid-Sept to mid-Nov and started the process to return at the end of Sept., more than 3 weeks before my scheduled departure. I was in contact with the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. The staff there were pleasant and helpful but I did not get my Certificate of Entry until 2 days before my flight was scheduled to leave. All-in-all I had to have 16 documents (see attached list). If at all possible, try to do whatever it is that you must do from here in Thailand.

Documents needed to return to Thailand.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for advice. I am talking about returning to UK but would not do so until well into next year now when hopefully situation improved. My visa is officially an extension of stay I believe. Had it for 17 years and renew each year and get re-entry permit at same time. Is the re-entry permit sufficient to re-enter and of course go to a quarantine centre for 2 weeks or must I get another entry permit from the London embassy and have medical certificate and covid test in UK before I could come back under current regulations. 

With such a fluid situation for the covid pandemic in both Thailand and the United Kingdom, I would say that whatever rules or regulations prevail in both of these countries currently may well have changed dramatically by the middle of next year.  The situation is dynamic and the goal posts keep moving.  The OP would be better advised to examine his personal situation around Easter next year, I believe, when there ought be less crystal ball gazing and perhaps a little more certainty around.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, junkie said:

Is the re-entry permit sufficient to re-enter and of course go to a quarantine centre for 2 weeks or must I get another entry permit from the London embassy and have medical certificate and covid test in UK before I could come back under current regulations. 

You can return without needing a to apply for a visa. Embassies do not issue re-entry permits.

You would need a certificate of entry. You would need $100,000 covid 19 insurance valid to the day your current extension expires. A negative covid 19 test and a fit to fly certificate.

That is basically what you would need at this time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, junkie said:

Thank you all for advice. I am talking about returning to UK but would not do so until well into next year now when hopefully situation improved. My visa is officially an extension of stay I believe. Had it for 17 years and renew each year and get re-entry permit at same time. Is the re-entry permit sufficient to re-enter and of course go to a quarantine centre for 2 weeks or must I get another entry permit from the London embassy and have medical certificate and covid test in UK before I could come back under current regulations. 

I would not leave for the UK at the moment, there is a new variant of the C-19 virus there that is easier to catch and it looks like the mutation is in the area targeted by the current vaccines meaning that there is a good chance they might not be effective against it.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

I would not leave for the UK at the moment, there is a new variant of the C-19 virus there that is easier to catch and it looks like the mutation is in the area targeted by the current vaccines meaning that there is a good chance they might not be effective against it.

I think your assumption wrt efficacy is without basis. Most inoculations being given in the UK  are going to care staff, medical worker and the vulnerable and not to a specific region, also only the first of 2 injections has been done , and recipients are not immune until 21 days later after a booster jab. There has been no announcement that it will not work for the new strain . Also only 500,000 have been administered. 

I would certainly not travel to the UK though.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I think your assumption wrt efficacy is without basis. Most inoculations being given in the UK  are going to care staff, medical worker and the vulnerable and not to a specific region, also only the first of 2 injections , and are not immune until 21 days later after a booster jab. There has been no announcement that it will not work for the new strain . Also only 500,000 have been administered. 

I would certainly not travel to the UK though.

Latest research I have found is that the mutation is in the Spike (the part of the virus that attaches to the cell for invasion).  This is the main focal point of the vaccines.  If the antibody reaction produced from the vaccine is highly specialized to a specific Spike protein and that protein is the site of the mutation, good chance the antibodies will not be effective.  Former Med Tech so somewhat able to read the tech literature.

Just now, DrPhibes said:

Latest research I have found is that the mutation is in the Spike (the part of the virus that attaches to the cell for invasion).  This is the main focal point of the vaccines.  If the antibody reaction produced from the vaccine is highly specialized to a specific Spike protein and that protein is the site of the mutation, good chance the antibodies will not be effective.  Former Med Tech so somewhat able to read the tech literature.

Yes, which is why it is transmitted more easily. But I saw interviews  on UK TV where someone (credible) suggested the vaccine should still work on this mutation. I do not say you are wrong or not credible, but will wait for announcements on this. I think these rumours in the meantime are very counterproductive. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrPhibes said:

Unfortunately i'm hearing this as well but don't yet have full reports/knowledge. Note: there is no certainty yet if vaccines will not be effective, but i do think there is a distinct possibility of this that requires investigation. With the high spread-rate of virus (which leads inevitably to more/high mutation rate), i sense the reality is that a mass-scale vaccination program will not work on its own and will have to be done along with the current containment measures to be effective (unified response, masks, social-distance, hygiene, and if necessary lockdown).

Travel to UK now could very likely face disruptions or cancellations, and return travel could likely be highly uncertain.

• Like 2