Thailand faces lockdown if outbreak cannot be contained - PM

webfact

14 hours ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

Now you acting like Donald Trump. Lock down until you get this thing under control. It’s not like we haven’t been through it before. The country isn’t going to get better at this time and if it gets out of hand, I sure you be looking for new job. 

The unelected "PM" would not need a new job, how do you think it is such a secret about how much money that he personally has

pocketed since he forced his way in to office in 2014?

56 minutes ago, Anton9 said:

Real number of people exposed to it are at least 10 times higher than official figures.

Who estimated around 2 months ago already 700 millions people so now should be even higher.

Most countries are barely testing and even rich ones are not detecting all the infections since most are asymptomatics.

If what you say is the case (it could be even higher) that would make the death rate about 0.22% compared to the flu with 0.14%.Seems difficult to nail down a definitive asymptomatic percentage even among positive tests as well as the "dying with covid" and "dying from covid".

9 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

If what you say is the case (it could be even higher) that would make the death rate about 0.22% compared to the flu with 0.14%.Seems difficult to nail down a definitive asymptomatic percentage even among positive tests as well as the "dying with covid" and "dying from covid".

This is what WHO said on October 5th, which means now it will be way way higher maybe already 20% or more of global population.

It's pretty obvious the death rate of this virus is extremely low, just take a look at this Samut Sakhon outbreak for example.

Hundreds of millions of people may have already been infected with the novel coronavirus, far more than the current tally of around 35 million, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).

"Our current best estimates tell us that about 10% of the global population may have been infected by this virus," WHO emergency operations chief Mike Ryan told the UN health agency's executive board on Monday in Geneva.

• Like 2

The wife has been watching the news and last night she said that a 24 year old woman left Samut Sakhon before it was lockdown and travelled to Bangkok and stayed with her sister there, then travelled by taxi to the NonChaiAir Bus Terminal in Mo Chit and caught the 11:15 bus to Khon Kaen and then called her mother and told her she was not feeling well so her aunt and uncle picked her up from the Khon Kaen bus terminal and took her to Khon Kaen hospital where she has been declared "positive" to Covid 19. I have checked this morning and there is a statement from the Khon Kaen Governor on 77kaoded.com "https://www.77kaoded.com/news/aekkapongputta/2049767"

So there needs to be a shutdown because how many other people has this woman infected after she left Samut Sakhon?

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

The wife has been watching the news and last night she said that a 24 year old woman left Samut Sakhon before it was lockdown and travelled to Bangkok and stayed with her sister there, then travelled by taxi to the NonChaiAir Bus Terminal in Mo Chit and caught the 11:15 bus to Khon Kaen and then called her mother and told her she was not feeling well so her aunt and uncle picked her up from the Khon Kaen bus terminal and took her to Khon Kaen hospital where she has been declared "positive" to Covid 19. I have checked this morning and there is a statement from the Khon Kaen Governor on 77kaoded.com "https://www.77kaoded.com/news/aekkapongputta/2049767"

So there needs to be a shutdown because how many other people has this woman infected after she left Samut Sakhon?

Yikes, looking grim and there's going to me heaps more spread with Xmas/NY holidays nearly here. There's going to have to be a national lockdown, shut pubs/bars/clubs same as earlier this year. Sure not looking forward to it but it's going to have to be done.

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

A Thai national informed me the going rate is 6,500 baht per person to sneak in. Thailand is to blame for this, not anyone else. The officials accept bribe money, Thai business owners knowingly hire illegal immigrants, and Thai people would rather starve than work for low wages.

Burmese do not have to sneak into Thailand until after the borders were closed because there is an agreement between Thailand and the neighbouring countries that the citizens can cross the borders on a 30 day border pass that they get at the border. My Thai wife went to Savannakhet with me and she got the border pass at Mukdahan and it cost 50Baht for the 30 days pass. These are not necessarily illegal immigrants but they are illegal migrant workers that have been employed by Thai companies at a lot lower pay rate than they would have to pay Thai's. The culprits of this mess is the Thai companies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

Those people who don’t make that “huge leap of understanding” - as you? - are those, who invest their time to dig into scientific studies in leading scientific publications as BMJ or eg. take their calculators out, apply the Bayes Theoreme  and compute, what effects prevalence, specifity and sensitivity have on Positive or Negative Predictive Values of rtPCR- and antibody tests and on R0 ...

And by digging into studies, they find for example a study from ETH Zurich, which evaluated the “Querdenker” movement and found astonishingly not a lot of alt-rights, but that 23% of them elected before the Greens ... >250% than the Green Party’s share at the last election for parliament !

I apologize. BTW where did you get your PHD in epidemiology? Sure are a lot of scientists in this forum.

• Haha 1

image.png.8bf2246e86f5175d61d5036bfe06d065.png

This guy should fall on his sword (Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul) and resign from government.

He is responsible for public health policy and IMHO has failed in his duties to invoke the military to patrol all Thailand's border crossings to protect Thailand from this wave of COVID infections from Myanmar and other adjacent countries.

If Thailand can't protect their borders from illegals crossing carrying COVID what chance do they have protecting criminals, drugs, terrorists and contraband from coming into Thailand via illegal border crossings. 

Just out of interest:

Can anybody in this forum please point me to a website that actually states:

1. When where and from whom the SarsCov 2 Virus was isolated ?
2. that the available PCR test is actually testing for a Virus and shows an infection ?

[Because according to its inventor who received the Nobel prize for it, it is totally useless as a test and also cannot show an infection !]

There is a prize money of 180,000 euro right now in Europe for anybody who can actually

scientifically proof that the virus exists ... which requires an Isolate of the virus [which I can't find any proof of anywhere]
I have found many articles and court rulings that the PCR test does NOT test for a virus and does NOT show an Infection.

As many posters in this forum seem to have all this evidence I would be very glad if somebody could help me out.

All scientific evidence I could find show pretty much the opposite of what people believe and I really don't want to be in the dark on this anymore.

Thank you for anybody who can help me out on this.

We now have the strain in the UK said to be much more contagious to consider.  Could it get into Thailand?  Maybe.  If we have a new lockdown, the Thai government should pony up funds to allow people and businesses to survive but drastically scaling back tourism in the years ahead would be a good idea.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DogNo1 said:

We now have the strain in the UK said to be much more contagious to consider.  Could it get into Thailand?  Maybe.  If we have a new lockdown, the Thai government should pony up funds to allow people and businesses to survive but drastically scaling back tourism in the years ahead would be a good idea.  

I have marked the interesting part ????

Where is the Science ? ... seem it is enough to just say something these days. That's what they all do !

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bluedan said:

debunked how and by who? He presents statistics (not just opinion) which show that lockdowns don't make any difference to the outcome. Eg Peru Argentina and Belgium some of the harshest lockdowns in the world and all with very high mortality rates. Have you watched his videos or have alternative facts that show him to be incorrect? or you just heard its been debunked? I have done a google search just now can just find one relatively junior doctor who has made a video in rebuttal and that has been responded too. Most of what he (Ivor Cummins) says is based on publically available statistics.

That is just it, respectable science based facts are not plastered on You Tube videos, you have to actually find the scientific papers.

On 12/22/2020 at 3:46 AM, asiasurfer said:

Although I understand if many young people are annoyed with lockdowns and curfews... For me personally, it's actually quite nice. Finally there is some quiet in my bl**dy moban. 

Same during curfew or lockdown in France. No problem to sleep at night but globally, I don't like

Edited by daejung

On 12/22/2020 at 4:59 PM, kingofthemountain said:

The legal workers migrants were supposed to do the quarantine paid by their employers

i bet the problem is here, the employers wouldn't want to pay and the migrants wouldn't 

want to stay in a closed room 2 weeks without any salary

hence the massive illegals entries, due to the lack of official control

at the border AND on the employers

If they have arrived recently  you are correct I don’t know if the migrant workers down there are long term or casual.

I can’t I imagine them coming over the border on a daily basis then retuning home at night.

Where I live in the North there are a lot of Burmese who seem to have settled see them doing the 90 day reporting at the local Immigration Office

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 2:30 PM, berrec said:

This guy should fall on his sword (Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul) and resign from government.

Meh.

Without him (and his party: BJT) there wouldn't be a "government". And he's been mentioned most as a puppet/non-military PM should one be necessary.

The Peter Principle is one pillar of Thailand.

There is little ground for optimism looking at the present developments of Covid 19 here. Also, the powers to be have had their mandate seriously questioned. Many Thais are in dire straits with almost no money. Perhaps close to desperation. World history of the past 100 years has examples of comparable situations, and some of them have not ended peacefully. Not peacefully at all.

On 12/22/2020 at 5:16 PM, FarFlungFalang said:

Astra Zeneca said to be approved by UK 28 Dec,Thailand says it expects to start vaccinating around May I think.There is apparently quite a demand for it and since Thailand is doing so well without the vaccine it won't mind if other more needy countries go first which is very generous of them.

Yes it is , but since the new outbreak i wonder if they are still going to be that generous if the nr's keep on rising and there will be a new lockdown .