Changing from extension based on non 'o' marriage to extension based on non 'o' retirement.

Good Day All,

I know there are probably threads on this subject but I could not find them with search, I would be grateful for advice and to hear from others who have gone down this route.

I intend to use the 800k in bank method. I understand the 800k has to be in the bank for 3 months prior to application and until extension is approved and that this amount can then be reduced to 400k 3 months after receiving visa,, and that the account must be back up to 800k 2 months before next year renewal.

I have a few questions that I would like some help with.

1) I work offshore outside of Thailand (seaman), and my wages for this go into an offshore UK bank account, from there I transfer the money to Thailand, does this have any bearing on visa ?

2) Once I obtain the visa can I renew at a different office, eg I get initial visa from Korat IO and then I move to BKK can I renew visa in BKK IO  or do I have to go back to Korat ? 

3) I read somewhere that I need insurance for application ( I have not left Thailand since Nov 19).

I would be grateful for any  advice or clarifications if anything above is incorrect, or if anyone has done this and later discovered pitfalls in this method or wishes they had just stayed with marriage visa.

Many thanks in advance ladies and gents...

Changing reason for extension from Thai Wife to Retirement is simple since it is still based on the Non-O visa, just mark retirement on the TM 7. No insurance is required. If using 800 TB in the bank method just get bank letter and bank book copies. If the last extension was granted in Korat the OP can report (using the correct form TM28) the move to BKK and then apply for extension of stay at BKK, otherwise the OP must do it at Korat. 

4 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Many thanks asiaexpat, I have thought of something else... my marriage renewal is due in Sept next year, can I apply for my retirement visa before then, ( I would like to do it ASAP) by any means you can think of..

Immigration will not do the change until your current extension of stay is almost ending. Your current extension would have to be canceled for them to do change and they cannot do that without a valid reason to it. In your case the only valid reason to cancel it would be if you got divorced.

The 800k baht only has to be in the bank for 2 months now. That changed last year when they started requiring the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months after you apply and the 400k baht after that.

3 hours ago, Martin71 said:

Good Day All,

Firstly you need the 800k for 2 months prior not 3.

1) No bearing.

2) You should register your new address first then can renew at the address immigration have for you. (TM27, maybe, and TM30).

3) No insurance required if the extension is made on an original O-Visa entry. If it is an O-A Visa entry, insurance IS  required.

I have got an OA retirement based on 800,000 in Bank which stays there permanently which is no problem except I am told that even though they have been giving me an extension for the last 12 yrs mistakenly for an 'O Visa.'and just found out their mistake so I was charged 18000Bt for this yrs extension. Can I now change this on my next extension to an 'O' without going out of the country and is this process simply an in- out on a one day trip to say Lau.I am 84 yrs old and no way can I get an insurance so surely the 'O' visa is the best way to go,it's just how to get one I'm not sure about.    Thanks for any help or advice guys.

1 hour ago, biplanebluey said:

I have got an OA retirement based on 800,000 in Bank which stays there permanently which is no problem except I am told that even though they have been giving me an extension for the last 12 yrs mistakenly for an 'O Visa.'and just found out their mistake so I was charged 18000Bt for this yrs extension. Can I now change this on my next extension to an 'O' without going out of the country and is this process simply an in- out on a one day trip to say Lau.I am 84 yrs old and no way can I get an insurance so surely the 'O' visa is the best way to go,it's just how to get one I'm not sure about.    Thanks for any help or advice guys.

18,000 Baht? For what?

Extensions of stay cost 1,900 Baht.

10 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

If indeed you have been receiving a retirement extension on a Non-Imm-OA previously and they have now just  'noticed' (there was no difference prior to October 2019), then I expect you paid an agent or some fee for insurance. You could continue to obtain medical insurance to support each new extension application or go via an agent. You cannot change the entry from OA to O without leaving the country and returning, which is really not feasible during Covid restrictions. 

13 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

So presumably you have renewed your passport at least once during the past 12 years. Does this mean that, as part of the stamps transfer process, your office incorrectly recorded in their stamped annotation on the first page of your existing passport that you had originally entered Thailand with a non-O visa? If so, have they now corrected this annotation to read non-OA instead?

And how long ago did you last renew your passport?

15 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

You already did got correct and sound advice from other posters.

And to answer your question you cannot switch from a permission to stay based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa to one based on a Non Imm O Visa without exiting/re-entering Thailand.  Obviously with current border-restrictions, doing that now is not recommended.

But I did PM you a comprehensive guideline document explaining in full detail the process-steps for doing this, so that would be useful once border-restrictions are lifted.

9 minutes ago, Martin71 said:

Does any one know if it is a requirement for the wife to sign a form that she is aware of the visa change at all immigration offices...especially Korat..

As far as I know it is not a official rule. It will vary from office to office.

Some may want it to confirm you are still married.

OP asked a few questions he would like some help with.

1) I work offshore outside of Thailand (seaman), and my wages for this go into an offshore UK bank account, from there I transfer the money to Thailand, does this have any bearing on visa ?

Your current Visa situation is unclear, but I presume that you are currently on a 1-year extension based on an original Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

The funds you transfer from your offshore UK bank account to your personal Thai bank-account are only of relevance when using the monthly income transfer method, as you would need to prove to IO that these funds originated from abroad.  When using the 800K Funds-in-Bank method, there is no need to prove their origins.

2) Once I obtain the visa can I renew at a different office, eg I get initial visa from Korat IO and then I move to BKK can I renew visa in BKK IO  or do I have to go back to Korat ? 

You need to apply for the 1-year extension at the same IO where you applied for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa.  When you are already on a 1-year extension and you need to renew it, this has to be done at the IO where you have your official address for immigration purposes.  You can of course relocate to a different province, and in that case you need to notify the IO of the province where you are relocating in person by filing a TM-30 (some IOs require a TM-27 for relocation purposes).

3) I read somewhere that I need insurance for application ( I have not left Thailand since Nov 19).

Unless you are applying for a 1-year extension based on an original Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, there will be no need for any insurance.

1 hour ago, klauskunkel said:

When I changed to retirement ext. they wanted to talk to my wife, she had to sign a form that acknowledges her knowing about me changing the process. Subsequent extensions you do on your own.

Intrusive.... getting permission from the wife! Can you think of any reason.....?

(Other than to check you had not been riding the extension beyond a divorce?)

25 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Intrusive.... getting permission from the wife! Can you think of any reason.....?

Yes, when your on an extension of stay based on Thai wife/family you also undertake a responsibility to support that Thai family. When you change to an extension based on retirement, some offices/officers want to ensure your wife is aware for the reason of change.

Some wives will view it as maybe your looking for a future divorce.

Usually those who want to change is because the extensions based on retirement are usually issued while you wait, as opposed to an extension based on marriage, which first has to be approved and a second visit to Immigration to get the stamp after approval - but try explaining that reason to the wife.

Imagine you had a joint bank account and the wife suddenly announces she wants her own account and finances, wouldn't you be suspicious for the reason of change?

39 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Imagine you had a joint bank account and the wife suddenly announces she wants her own account and finances, wouldn't you be suspicious for the reason of change?

I might, but I wouldn't expect the passport office to get involved!

Why do you want to do that? 

A few years back Immigration were the ones suggesting to those of us married to Thais but who were retired to switch to Retirement because it was easier to process.  And I did it.

Then they implemented the new requirements to have 800k in the bank two months before, three months after, and never dip below 400k.

I switched back last extension and got nothing be grief from the IO for switching back.  So you have to ask yourself.  You in the bank option for a marriage extension is 400k three months before and that's it.   Just realize that you're adding additional requirements for you to remain in Thailand as a guest so you can provide for your family (as screwed up as that is). 

1 hour ago, connda said:

I switched back last extension and got nothing be grief from the IO for switching back.  So you have to ask yourself.  You in the bank option for a marriage extension is 400k three months before and that's it. 

It's always been 400K 2 months before and still is.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Just realize that you're adding additional requirements for you to remain in Thailand as a guest so you can provide for your family (as screwed up as that is). 

Marriage extension are based on humanitarian grounds.

Age is immaterial, you don't have to be 50 as with retirement extensions.

If you remember the lockdown, the first group of foreigners allowed to enter Thailand were, diplomats, aircrew and those married or having Thai family. Even having the Elite Visa didn't help.

Just my opinion but you should always be on the extension that matches the reason for your stay.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

2 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

that's exactly the reason

Disagree - that's why you need an updated Kor Ror 2 (or 22) to confirm you haven't divorced since marriage.

The only time you can 'ride' a marriage extension until renewal date is in the event your wife passed away.

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Disagree - that's why you need an updated Kor Ror 2 (or 22) to confirm you haven't divorced since marriage.

The only time you can 'ride' a marriage extension until renewal date is in the event your wife passed away.

I don't think a provided a Kor Ror 2 when I switched to Retirement extension. But it's been a while...

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The topic is about switching to a retirement extension from one based on marriage.

And I merely confirmed a Kor Ror 2/22 is not a requirement for an extension based on retirement, but that doesn't mean an IO may want to ensure your wife is advised your changing your reason of stay from marriage to retirement - the question being, why!

16 hours ago, connda said:

Then they implemented the new requirements to have 800k in the bank two months before, three months after, and never dip below 400k.

Not to mention the requirement for rip-off mandatory TGIA-approved health insurance for retirees who originally entered Thailand on a non-OA visa. Was that a further reason for making the switch back from retirement to marriage in your case? If so, it was rather rich of the IO to give you grief IMHO!

Archived