UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

3 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Scottish fish prices ‘collapsing’ by as much as 80% due to Brexit bureaucracy......but then I keep forgetting....these events don't matter to a true Brexiteer.

On the French side “When you have fewer sellers, there’s less choice on price, and sometimes quality,”

Fish exports have also been hit in the opposite direction.

The need for Boulogne wholesalers to obtain the license, signature and boat registration of each skipper made it impossible to send a mixed load of mullet from France, turbot from Belgium and sea urchins from Spain to a buyer in Britain. Customs charges added hundreds of euros to costs.

https://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-france-fish/weve-lost-30-years-brexit-shatters-supply-chains-for-french-fish-hub-idUSL8N2JM5YG

Edited by vinny41
forgot url

8 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Scottish fish prices ‘collapsing’ by as much as 80% due to Brexit bureaucracy......but then I keep forgetting....these events don't matter to a true Brexiteer.

Brexit bureaucracy. Err nope.

• Like 2

ouch

Brexit stops speeding tickets at the border

The UK’s exit means a deal on motoring offenses no longer applies to British drivers in the EU, and vice versa.

France stands to lose up to €60 million per year in unpaid tickets, according to the French motoring site Caradisiac.

https://www.politico.eu/article/speeding-ticket-enforcement-reversed-after-brexit/

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

ouch

Brexit stops speeding tickets at the border

The UK’s exit means a deal on motoring offenses no longer applies to British drivers in the EU, and vice versa.

https://www.politico.eu/article/speeding-ticket-enforcement-reversed-after-brexit/

And the UK will lose all the income from speeding EU drivers.

I suspect France will go back to the system they used before, where they marched you to the nearest cash point to pay the fine on the spot.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, tebee said:

I suspect France will go back to the system they used before, where they marched you to the nearest cash point to pay the fine on the spot.

Note to self: When in France, don't speed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

And you have the perfect right to express them; within the forum rules, of course.

But your regularly repeated sneers show that you wish to deny those who disagree with you that right!

I am a patriot, I am behind my country. I firmly believe that Brexit is the worst mistake my country has made in my lifetime. Many polls and even the last GE share of the vote show this is a view shared by an ever growing proportion of those most affected; British citizens living in the UK.

Shouldn't that be "our country" and "we had more backbone!!?"

Or is this a Freudian slip and you are not actually, or don't consider yourself to be, British?

Yes, we did overcome most of the problems caused by the war. We may also eventually overcome many of the problems caused by Brexit. But surely it's better to avoid those problems in the first place?

Even Chamberlain eventually saw that war was inevitable. But Brexit wasn't.

Going from no required paperwork to masses of required documentation overnight is not routine! So much so that HMG has produced page after page of guidance on what is now required!

People will get used to it; but it will never be as quick and simple as not requiring any paperwork at all!

The tired, old Brexiteer complaint that the EU expect us to comply with the same rules as all other non members!

I know Vote.Leave told you that we could retain all the advantages of membership after we left; but surely even you must by now realise that was not true!

From the HMG guidance

If you can be bothered to read the links, you will learn that, despite your wish that this were some childishly spiteful attack by the EU in revenge for Brexit, they are in fact now applying the same rules to us that apply at all EU borders with non member states; with a few exceptions where the rules are not as strict such as borders with EFTA and Switzerland.

We used to be covered by the EU rules on this; but no doubt will bring in our own with which to replace them; if we haven't already done so.

This is the World News forum; who put you in charge of who can and cannot post here?

Unlike you, I am not telling people to 'get behind your country' and support this disastrous decision despite choosing to live 6000 miles away and so escaping most of the effects of Brexit.

So the UK may send a request to join the CPTTP within months!

No guarantee, of course, that such a request would be granted.

From Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP)

Comply with the CPTPP rules! Don't Brexiteers tell us that we left the EU so we could make our own rules?

There's more

That article is from last July; but the latest official HMG policy paper on the matter is dated 17th June! 

Despite what your video says, the deals Truss has 'negotiated' so far are simply roll overs of existing EU deals or, like the Japanese one, she has merely been allowed the crumbs which the EU didn't want. 

Thank you very much for the reply, it was perfect, bang on the (expected) money....:clap2:

Not one single word of praise for your countries efforts to move on.......????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tebee said:

I don't think so: most speeding tickets are automated radar systems. 

Now maybe in the future plate numbers will be checked at motorway tolls and unpaid tickets will be enforced there? 

And, this loss of judicial cooperation will also let more serious criminals roam free, not to mention civil matters like divorces between UK and EU citizens are to become more complicated and painful. 

Interesting paper on the repositioning of the UK on international affairs :

The head of the foreign affairs thinktank Chatham House, Robin Niblett, wrote this week that Britain will fail after Brexit if it tries to recreate itself as “a mini great power”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/11/brexit-uk-should-aim-to-be-a-global-broker-not-a-great-power-says-report

Edited by Hi from France
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, tebee said:

Us remainers are keeping ourselves amused watching the mental contortions leavers are going through trying to convince themselves Brexit actually had some upsides.

Cognitive dissonance has a lot to answer for!

Really, give me his name, just for a giggle....?  :clap2:

• Haha 1

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1383906/eu-news-brexit-trade-deal-cptpp-boris-johnson-australia-us-joe-biden-spt

EU invited to join CPTPP as rug pulled from under Boris Johnson's Brexit dream

THE EU has been invited to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) - the free trade area with 11 countries the UK is hoping to enter - by Australian Senator Eric Abetz.

By Martina Bet

09:40, Thu, Jan 14, 2021 | UPDATED: 14:52, Thu, Jan 14, 2021

more...

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tebee said:

I also wonder  if those Brexiters can name one real benefit from Brexit, inspite of all that was promised   

I just got a better answer from jrm

I think @vinny41would agree with the fish happiness factor except for this https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1200702-exclusive-its-a-catastrophe-scottish-fishermen-halt-exports-due-to-brexit-red-tape/?do=findComment&comment=16157338

Edited by Hi from France
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, david555 said:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1383906/eu-news-brexit-trade-deal-cptpp-boris-johnson-australia-us-joe-biden-spt

EU invited to join CPTPP as rug pulled from under Boris Johnson's Brexit dream

THE EU has been invited to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) - the free trade area with 11 countries the UK is hoping to enter - by Australian Senator Eric Abetz.

By Martina Bet

09:40, Thu, Jan 14, 2021 | UPDATED: 14:52, Thu, Jan 14, 2021

more...

Are you sure that the EU will want to accepted an invitation from someone that the Chinese ambassador to Australia has compared Eric Abetz to Joseph Goebbels, likening the Liberal Senator’s tactics to Nazi propaganda.

Abetz great-uncle was Hitler’s ambassador to Paris and a convicted Nazi war criminal.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/politics/australian-politics/2020/10/23/china-eric-abetz-joseph-goebbels/

Otto Abetz was Hitler's ambassador to occupied France and convicted in 1949 of crimes that included deporting French Jews to the death camps.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/peter-abetz-says-nazi-war-criminal-great-uncle-otto-did-some-positive-things-20150805-giry7o.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Are you sure that the EU will want to accepted an invitation from someone that the Chinese ambassador to Australia has compared Eric Abetz to Joseph Goebbels, likening the Liberal Senator’s tactics to Nazi propaganda.

Abetz great-uncle was Hitler’s ambassador to Paris and a convicted Nazi war criminal.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/politics/australian-politics/2020/10/23/china-eric-abetz-joseph-goebbels/

Otto Abetz was Hitler's ambassador to occupied France and convicted in 1949 of crimes that included deporting French Jews to the death camps.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/peter-abetz-says-nazi-war-criminal-great-uncle-otto-did-some-positive-things-20150805-giry7o.html

I am not sure of anithing Vinny ...just bringing the article ....are you sure of ALL articles you quote ? ????

It is funny to see most defence of attacks on a unpleasant article for brexit is alway answered with deep digged facts or asumptions about ww's ....seems no other fefence is to find ...deep English trauma  i would say....

In many if not all a "black sheep " in family's is to find i guess ....naturraly most in those nationals who lost a war ....????

Oh dear ! all those descendants from that  king Who let chopped the heads of from his ex wifes are blamed now too for his actions ????

Edited by david555

17 minutes ago, david555 said:

I am not sure of anithing Vinny ...just bringing the article ....are you sure of ALL articles you quote ? ????

Are you doubting West Australian MP Peter Abetz, brother of Senator Eric Abetz, says his reaction was "mixed" when he first learned his great uncle was a convicted Nazi war criminal.

How about a link from the Guardian if you have concerns about Australian media

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/05/peter-abetz-points-to-positive-legacy-of-his-high-ranking-nazi-great-uncle

Edited by vinny41
additional info
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

Are you doubting West Australian MP Peter Abetz, brother of Senator Eric Abetz, says his reaction was "mixed" when he first learned his great uncle was a convicted Nazi war criminal.

Again Vinny i am just bringing that article because the funny line about the rug pulled under Boris ...????

So no reason for me to doubt anything ....????

Keep blaming childeren for the actions from parents or grandparents ...you can find endless examples fom the defeated in wars ....

Do you Brits can ever let the past go .....? Or no futher ...or a scary one ...pathetic i must say ????

Now by second reading i see you expanded even to a " great uncle " ????... 

Come on go chase all descendants from Jack the ripper now ...

Oh dear i forgot ....they never found out who he was ....???? ????

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

Again Vinny i am just bringing that article because the funny line about the rug pulled under Boris ...????

So no reason for me to doubt anything ....????

I suspect you only read the headline and you didn't dive deeper and actually read the article as you would have found

"I think it would be fantastic to get the EU into the CPTPP, but they would not be able to join at the moment.

"With their approach on agriculture and standards, it is impossible for them to accede.

"This doesn't mean they can't change their approaches."

He noted: "It would be good for the world if they did and I am hopeful that somebody in the EU trade department is trying to figure out what to change in order to become an accession country."

The EU to change their approach on agriculture and standards make get rid of the common agricultural policy that will go down like a lead balloon with the French

Alan Winters, director of the Trade Policy Observatory at the University of Sussex, suggested the bloc could indeed decide to join after Britain and the US, for fear of a competitive and huge trade organisation at their doorstep.

• Like 2