UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

Northern Irish students will continue to participate in Erasmus+ thanks to Irish government funding.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-fund-erasmus-northern-irish-students/

The Irish government will fund Erasmus+ grants for Northern Irish students so they can continue to participate in Europe’s flagship student exchange program after the United Kingdom pulls out of the scheme.

Dublin agreed “to extend the benefits of Erasmus+ to students in Northern Ireland even after Brexit,”

“The cost is relatively low … But it’s not a cost, it’s an investment,” he said, adding the estimated cost would be around €2 million per year

Where are the "billions" due by Scotland or Wales? 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Northern Irish students will continue to participate in Erasmus+ thanks to Irish government funding.

Euros and Remainers seem to keep banging on about Erasmus. Is that because it has got to be one of the EU's biggest non-agri scams?

Erasmus+ is the EU's programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Its budget of €14.7 billion will provide opportunities for over 4 million Europeans to study, train, and gain experience abroad.

Obviously something that the French exploit to the max, it appears to cost a fortune per student.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Euros and Remainers seem to keep banging on about Erasmus. Is that because it has got to be one of the EU's biggest non-agri scams?

Erasmus+ is the EU's programme to support education, training, youth and sport in Europe. Its budget of €14.7 billion will provide opportunities for over 4 million Europeans to study, train, and gain experience abroad.

Obviously something that the French exploit to the max, it appears to cost a fortune per student.

THere's someone who hasn't ever had an education!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hi from France said:

Who knows maybe one day we'll read serious posts with arguments and reliable sources instead of sarcastic one-liners. ????

Serious posts and reliable sources from you lot? Now I know you are not serious, but always happy to argue anyway. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hi from France said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-fund-erasmus-northern-irish-students/

Where are the "billions" due by Scotland or Wales? 

Its simple if France is so keen for Scotland and Wales to take part in  Erasmus+ they should provide funding in the same way that the Irish  government has provided funding for Northern Irish students

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Its simple if France is so keen for Scotland and Wales to take part in  Erasmus+ they should provide funding in the same way that the Irish  government has provided funding for Northern Irish students

Whatever the English want to do, I think they shouldn't strong-arm the Scots and the Welsh if they want to make their own choices. 

Hear them out:

“I am absolutely confident that the Turing scheme is a poor replacement for Erasmus+,” said Welsh Education Secretary Kirsty Williams at a press conference Monday, stating that she was working with colleagues in Scotland and Northern Ireland to try and retain membership of the scheme.

Bethan Sayed, the higher education spokesperson for Welsh nationalist party Plaid Cymru, said Erasmus “is not just about sending U.K. students to Europe for a few terms, it’s about ensuring EU students can come here and gift us with their talents and strengthen our universities and colleges.”

www.politico.eu/article/meps-push-to-welcome-scotland-and-wales-back-in-erasmus-mobility-scheme/

Should they have no choice but conform to the decision made by English politicians?

Should they be free to go a different way if they think it's best for their nation? What do you think? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Whatever the English want to do, I think they shouldn't strong-arm the Scots and the Welsh if they want to make their own choices. 

Hear them out:

www.politico.eu/article/meps-push-to-welcome-scotland-and-wales-back-in-erasmus-mobility-scheme/

Should they have no choice but conform to the decision made by English politicians?

Should they be free to go a different way if they think it's best for their nation? What do you think? 

Will France let  Corsica go its own way or is it the case or do what I say not do what I do

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hi from France said:

We are not selfish accountants, I think we'd be allright to give a hand to Wales and Scotland if the United Kingdom leaves them high and dry.

After all, Erasmus is about European values : diversity, scientific progress, peace .... and we definitely want that over petty nationalism.

As you posted Erasmus is about European values

The UK hasn't left Scottish and Welsh students high and dry they have provided an alternative solution to the expensive Erasmus+ project where the UK taxpayer pays for EU students to come to the UK

New Turing scheme to support thousands of students to study and work abroad

A new £100 million scheme for students to study and work abroad will replace the UK's participation in Erasmus+.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-turing-scheme-to-support-thousands-of-students-to-study-and-work-abroad

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2021 at 1:46 PM, david555 said:

A border has 2 sides ...and thus the taking control too......we told you soooo....! ????

Dont cry about those sandwiches ...just eat them before crossing .....

BTW  your beloved Australia can show you examples enough from food and others  not allowed to bring inside Australia....also many airlines restrict food in handluggage

Taking controle of OUR borders ...you can not blame us ... Boris border control  not ready ......he had the opportunity to extend you know ????

As I said gloating...

If this is what your trade agreement looks like, then perhaps we'd be better off without one, as I always suspected. It's just the EU showing their true colours, yet again..... twisting the knife to scare off any other potential countries from leaving. It's doing you know good in real terms, since the rest of your members are watching closely..... Let's wait and see shall we!

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, welovesundaysatspace said:

It’s only now that you realize that this is how laws and “take control” work? Wow. You must have lived under a stone. Certainly you have never crossed any borders. 

Not when you're supposed to have a trading agreement, or did you miss that salient point....

There you go again with your juvenile insults, grow up or join a comic book club, since this forum is for adult debate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

There's none so blind as those that will not (refuse) to see....

Or perhaps you should polish off your crystal balls, that were so evident in the previous Brexit deal debate....

Show me an example of my bias?

Words are cheap....

Even when you get the agreement you shouted for, you cannot take it in good grace...

Still bitter and twisted I suspect, and sulking because you will, eventually, be proved wrong.

You refuse to take me at my word - when I say that I hope tto be proved wrong and that Brexit is a success - but then accuse me of not acting with 'good grace'!?

I agree 100% with your first sentence.

Edited by RayC
Clarification
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tofer said:

Not when you're supposed to have a trading agreement, or did you miss that salient point....

Because all agreements are the same? Or because you haven’t read it? If you don’t like the conditions of the agreement, why did you sign up for it? (Newsflash: an agreement is something that two parties agree together, it’s isn’t something that’s imposed onto you.)

There you go again with your juvenile insults, grow up or join a comic book club, since this forum is for adult debate.

...says the person who refers to others as “pathetic”, “utterly infantile” and “like a bunch of spoilt kids in a playground”. ???? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Pure genius....of course.......move your business to the EU....problem solved.

Screen Shot 2564-01-24 at 03.19.17.jpg

Screen Shot 2564-01-24 at 03.19.25.jpg

Screen Shot 2564-01-24 at 03.37.48.jpg

You're right, I could not believe it at first 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/23/brexit-hit-firms-advised-government-officials-set-up-shop-in-eu

British firms are advised by UK Department for International Trade to form EU-based companies

Brexiteers, any comments on this? Does Boris Johnson sign up to this? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tofer said:

As I said gloating...

If this is what your trade agreement looks like, then perhaps we'd be better off without one, as I always suspected. It's just the EU showing their true colours, yet again..... twisting the knife to scare off any other potential countries from leaving. It's doing you know good in real terms, since the rest of your members are watching closely..... Let's wait and see shall we!

As i said  a border has two ...2..,sides  and both sides have their control .... of course " good old brexiteers "  they thought they could keep walking in and out as before they became third country , as they remember before they could step in & out  Europe as it was own front & backyarder , no hassle at all then .....????

Or did you brexit's thought only you could take control ...? ????

So maybe now you understand the benefits you had  from before ...

Crying about border problems and food restriction's ..., this is not only for U.K. drivers entering E.U. it counts for all drivers crossing  ....And if Boris gov. could had made their brexit border control ready  you would see same happening on your side .... but no .... boasting about brexit ... but not be able to  make border arrangements ready in time ..., how much times ever  Govy said they could .. Not ...!! they couldn't...????

Just shot your own 2 feet ...????

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Do you deny that the Welsh Education Secretary thinks differently? 

“I am absolutely confident that the Turing scheme is a poor replacement for Erasmus+,” said Welsh Education Secretary Kirsty Williams at a press conference Monday, stating that she was working with colleagues in Scotland and Northern Ireland to try and retain membership of the scheme. 

You can think Turing is great, but the Welsh think Erasmus is better and they want Erasmus. 

If the impoverished UK cannot afford to be a member of Erasmus

.. And while the Irish, the Welsh and the Scots want to stay with us as members of Erasmus, we shall be able to help them and keep friendly higher education and research relationships with them, even if England wants to go its separate way 

Do we not? 

You forgot to post a link to your quoted statement from the Welsh Education Secretary

“I am absolutely confident that the Turing scheme is a poor replacement for Erasmus+,” said Welsh Education Secretary Kirsty Williams at a press conference Monday, stating that she was working with colleagues in Scotland and Northern Ireland to try and retain membership of the scheme.

Bethan Sayed, the higher education spokesperson for Welsh nationalist party Plaid Cymru, said Erasmus “is not just about sending U.K. students to Europe for a few terms, it’s about ensuring EU students can come here and gift us with their talents and strengthen our universities and colleges.”

https://www.politico.eu/article/meps-push-to-welcome-scotland-and-wales-back-in-erasmus-mobility-scheme/

If France wants to pay for Scottish and Welsh students to join  Erasmus+ I don't think many people will have an issue with that