UK and EU reach Brexit trade deal

webfact

18 hours ago, RayC said:

You refuse to take me at my word - when I say that I hope tto be proved wrong and that Brexit is a success - but then accuse me of not acting with 'good grace'!?

Taking your word is a matter of belief in your proclamation.

Your lack of good grace was the refusal to accept a freely given agreement to your statement which, by the way, you had specifically requested...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tofer said:

I doubt it, the British are not so petty as the French and Dutch appear to be. Also we have no need or desire to see the EU 'punished', we'll make our own success outside the EU. Unlike the EU who wish to set an example for other EU states who may consider exiting, and spoiling the EU's bid for European domination.

Watch the link I posted earlier and you will see why the EU's actions are wrong explained.

Hypothetical claim ..... as your borders are not ready ...yet 

Second part is just about the difference to be in a club or an out stander , letting U.K. have  specialty's  would resulting in  claims from other co- operant country's to get the same ......

But i understand it is a big painful happening after 45 years free access and co operation to see now the disadvantages besides the advantages , ....every coin has a flipside.... ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

Your lack of good grace was the refusal to accept a freely given agreement to your statement which, by the way, you had specifically requested...

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

So now you are calling me a liar without a shred of evidence to support your view.

I believe that the negative effects of Brexit will outweigh any positive effects i.e. Brexit will result in a net loss economically, politically, etc. for the UK. However, I hope that I am proved wrong, not least because it is not in my personal interest for the UK to fail.

Why are those two statements so difficult for you to comprehend and accept? I suspect that it is simply because you are the type of person who cannot bear to admit that they are wrong.

1 hour ago, Tofer said:

What statement did I refuse to accept? 

Again, you accuse me of being a liar but I am the one lacking in grace? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, CG1 Blue said:

You say regulations are in place to maintain quality? What changed in the quality of UK goods between 31st Dec 2020 and 1st Jan 2021? 

Who would know without checks being put in place?......Maybe we had a whole load of horse meat lined up for export Jan 1?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

If you need a 10 minutes YouTube video (which I won’t watch) and insulting others to make your point, it’s pretty clear you’re lacking any arguments. 

If you don't watch it, then you don't know what the argument is, derrrrr!!

So your uninformed point is......??

Edited by Tofer

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Judging from these threads it are the British who want to see the EU disappear, whereas the Europeans wish the British all the best.

Holy Moses - do you really believe that... ???? ???? ????

We don't care what happens in the EU anymore, fill your boots, if you still have members to do so in 10 years time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

Nothing to do with pettiness , the British know in France and Netherlands procedures and regulations are in place to maintain quality.

Total BS! As I understand it, the UK has higher food standards than anywhere else in the EU. We certainly don't try to disguise horse meat as beef, for one instance...!

• Like 2

On 1/23/2021 at 12:05 PM, Tofer said:
On 1/22/2021 at 10:29 PM, RayC said:

I also hope that the EU member states are successful. Care to echo that sentiment yourself, and call on your fellow Brexiters to do the same?

I will echo your sentiments, but for the states - not the EU.

As requested...

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Anyone that wishes to come to Wales to study for longer than 6 months as they will need a student visa from the UK IMMIGRATION office

I see 

So your claim is that EU Erasmus students who will be selected to undertake a double diploma in Wales or Scotland will be blocked by the English immigration office?

by the way, according to you, can the UK IMMIGRATION office block Erasmus which is already ongoing in northern Ireland?

5 hours ago, RayC said:

I believe that the negative effects of Brexit will outweigh any positive effects i.e. Brexit will result in a net loss economically, politically, etc. for the UK. However, I hope that I am proved wrong, not least because it is not in my personal interest for the UK to fail.

important point as discussed here https://pca.st/6reww3bj

image.png.233ac0e2490652829b9bc0e2f1794011.png

the European Union is fine with the UK self-punishing and won't do much to help.

now if the UK gets into real trouble, we will definitely help and even try to get the UK to save face, because we do not want to have an unstable country on or doorstep.

But we are not there and maybe will never be there.

In the meantime, we really welcome all these jobs and investments, as well as the repatriation of our financial industry and financial markets.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

I see 

So your claim is that EU Erasmus students who will be selected to undertake a double diploma in Wales or Scotland will be blocked by the English immigration office?

by the way, according to you, can the UK IMMIGRATION office block Erasmus which is already ongoing in northern Ireland?

I never posted blocked that is your wording not mine

What I said Anyone that wishes to come to Wales to study for longer than 6 months as they will need a student visa from the UK IMMIGRATION office

If you’re studying on an English language course for up to 11 months, apply for a Short-term study visa.

If you’re coming to study on a further or higher education course, apply for a Student visa.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/france/study/longer_than_six_months

As for Northern Ireland no EU students will be travelling from the EU to Northern Ireland as part of Erasmus+

The Erasmus+ scheme funds fees and costs for university students to spend part of their program in another EU or associated country. Students from Northern Ireland will need to temporarily register with Irish higher education institutions to take part in the scheme, RTÉ reported.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-fund-erasmus-northern-irish-students/

When they say Irish higher education institutions they mean Republic of Ireland(EU) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I never posted blocked that is your wording not mine

What I said Anyone that wishes to come to Wales to study for longer than 6 months as they will need a student visa from the UK IMMIGRATION office

Sure, and so what?

In other word does it have any, special impact on the Welsh and the Scots joining Erasmus, the issue we are discussing ?

Likewise, Welsh and the Scots will have to get a visa to come study (and hopefully work) in the EU. 

Even the English students from the (inferior, and promised, but yet-to-be established) Turing program will need to follow regulations if they want to study abroad. Likewise, should they lack employment opportunities in the UK, we'll be delighted if they come work in the UE or undertake their PhD or their postdoc with us.

I still do not see what your claim is exactly

Edited by Hi from France

12 minutes ago, Hi from France said:

Sure, and so what?

In other word does it have any practical impact on the Welsh and the Scots joining Erasmus, the issue we are discussing ?

Likewise, Welsh and the Scots will have to get a visa to come study (and hopefully work) in the EU. 

Even the English students from the (inferior, but yet-to-be established) Turing program will need to follow regulations if the want to study abroad.

I still do not see what your claim is

I will repeat what I posted as you don't seem to understand

If you’re studying on an English language course for up to 11 months, apply for a Short-term study visa.

If you’re coming to study on a further or higher education course, apply for a Student visa.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/france/study/longer_than_six_months

As for Northern Ireland no EU students will be travelling from the EU to Northern Ireland as part of Erasmus+

The Erasmus+ scheme funds fees and costs for university students to spend part of their program in another EU or associated country. Students from Northern Ireland will need to temporarily register with Irish higher education institutions to take part in the scheme, RTÉ reported.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ireland-fund-erasmus-northern-irish-students/

When they say Irish higher education institutions they mean Republic of Ireland(EU)

• Like 1

Another well-documented account of the impact of Brexit on British SMEs

his Macduff business is now one of thousands across Britain that lack the financial firepower to throw at the myriad health checks, customs declarations and higher logistics costs that are required to export goods into the European Union

The cheesmaker we discussed before will quite easily move his logistics or even a production facility in France, but I'm not sure how it will work for a butcher. 

Now what I learned is that so many British exports come from SMEs

Almost half of 2018’s 76 billion pounds in exports to the EU from small and medium sized enterprises came from firms employing fewer than 9 people.

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN29U1A8

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 11:43 AM, vinny41 said:

I think you have misquoted Roger Daltrey here what he said about the EU

as a fan of the Who, I liked that one 

I smiled to see that Roger Daltrey, the Leave-supporting lead singer of the Who, has joined the chorus of rock stars furious that the post-Brexit visa rules will ruin their prospects of touring across the Channel. Mr Daltrey will have to sing Won’t Get Fooled Again to himself before moving on to Boris the Spider and I Can’t Explain.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/24/bill-for-boris-johnson-brexit-is-coming-punishingly-steep

• Confused 1

Any Mastercard holders? 

Mastercard to raise fees by at least 400% 

Mastercard is to increase the fees EU firms face to take payments from online shoppers from the UK by at least 400%, in a move that could mean higher prices for consumers.

When a credit or debit card is used, a percentage of the purchase price is paid by the retailer to the bank that issued it as an interchange fee, which is set by a payments firm.

Mastercard’s interchange fee is currently 0.3% on credit card payments and 0.2% on debit card payments but it has told EU firms that these will increase to 1.5% and 1.15% respectively from 15 October.

Another Brexit dividend? 

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/jan/25/mastercard-to-raise-fees-to-eu-firms-by-500-percent-for-online-sales-to-uk-shoppers

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hi from France said:

Another well-documented account of the impact of Brexit on British SMEs

The cheesmaker we discussed before will quite easily move his logistics or even a production facility in France, but I'm not sure how it will work for a butcher. 

The problem for a butcher is that his qualifications to do that work would no longer be recognized in France.

And he'd have to source his animals from France and the French use different cuts of meat to the UK as well.

• Sad 1