72 hours Covid requirement from test done or from certificate issued. Any direct experience ?

We have already discussed about ths matter: the official thai requirement in the enghlis translation says "certificate issued non more than 72 hours before", while some embassies say "test time non more that 72 hours before".
It seems impossible to have a clear answer from the airways companies,  the matter is on the hands of the staff that work at check-in counter and it is difficult to talk to them if not going directly to the airport.

So my question is : has anybody a direct experience with embarking with a certificate issued no more that 72 hours before the flight but reporting a swab time that is more than 72 hours before the flight ?

If yes, at which airport and with which company ? 

It's possible it just cost alot of money.  I was quoted $250 for 1 hour results. Im trying to leave mid january so I haven't tried it yet.  They specialize in travel testing. Im in the us and the app I used to find this place is called solv. It's free 

I've been wondering the same darn thing! all the tests around me are like from 2 to 5 days to get the results for the PCR Test!

so my concern is if i take the test too early and get the results in 2 days it might be longer than 72 hours!

but if i book it later and it's not ready in time I'm also screwed! this is ridiculous isn't it?

and the silly thing is, if you arrive with a fever or any symptoms they will test you on arrival at the airport anyway!

it sure has been crazy doing everything that has been needed and with the consulate sites saying different things,

and with the thai embassies/consulates never answering their phones or replying to my emails.

Believe it or not, I finally got my visa and certificate of entry (why they can't just send the C.O.E. with the visa is beyond me!)

and it seems i'm ready to roll in a few weeks, now I just have this stupid test to worry about.

Edited by jetaro
  • Like 2

Why do you care about what some embassies say ? All you need to know is what your embassy says . Print a copy of the requirement if you fear being challenged at the airport . I had a problem with my  Covid insurance  document not containing my middle name so it didn't match my passport so i would want to be as prepared as possible when arriving at the airport . I have only seen the stipulation that RT PCR be no older than 72 hours from report time ,

Where are you seeing 72 hours from test time ?

8 minutes ago, smylee52 said:

......... All you need to know is what your embassy says ........

And my embassy says that, if the swab time is written on the certificate, this is the moment that should be no more than 72 hours before taking off.

This is the reason that I would appreciate to hear from somebody that had a direct experience with swab more than 72 hours in advance, but it seems that nobody answers........

We spoke a lot, on this forum, about this subject, but no one reported his real experience

9 hours ago, federicoP said:

And my embassy says that, if the swab time is written on the certificate, this is the moment that should be no more than 72 hours before taking off.

I assume your an Italian national from your name.

The Thai Embassy, Milan, state;

Medical Certificate with a laboratory result indicating that COVID-19 was not detected, using the RT-PCR method, which was certified or issued no more than 72 hours before departure

Which is not the same as they are verbally stating.

The Covid test results are to be shown to the airline for boarding (not for the Visa), so if your unsure ring the airline at the airport and ask to speak to a check in supervisor for confirmation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Yes. London ... Thai Airways. Swab taken on Friday 3pm...Flight Monday 9pm, result issued Saturday 12pm. This was back in end of August. And at that time the embassy directive was very clear, travel within 72 hours of swab result being issued, not 72 hours from testing time and date.

For clarification, did the results certificate issued actually show the time the swab was taken?

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I assume your an Italian national from your name.

The Thai Embassy, Milan, state;..........

Which is not the same as they are verbally stating.

The Covid test results are to be shown to the airline for boarding (not for the Visa), so if your unsure ring the airline at the airport and ask to speak to a check in supervisor for confirmation.

The fact that verbally they are saying different things is the reason why I am looking for a real experience done at the airport.

I had a  tough discussion (and strong complaint) with Qatar airways by email and at the phone : they did not give me a clear answer, they only say that they are following the Rome Embassy directions.

Moreover they do not give a number to call the check-in staff at the airport, and the number is not reported in any directory. Impossible to talk to them !!!! 

Qatar call center even suggested me to go directly to the airport and ask them when they are boarding an other flight !!!!!!

1 hour ago, federicoP said:

Moreover they do not give a number to call the check-in staff at the airport, and the number is not reported in any directory. Impossible to talk to them !!!! 

Qatar Airways Rome Office

Tel : +39 02 6797 6000 (Contact Center Italy)

Office Hours : 9:00 am - 6:00 pm (Mon - Sat) / 10:00 am - 6:00 pm (Sunday)

Closed on Public Holidays.

Rome Airport Office

Building EPUA, Room 308-310
Fiumicino International Airport, 00050 Fiumicino
Rome, Italy

8 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Qatar Airways Rome Office

Tel : +39 02 6797 6000 (Contact Center Italy)

Office Hours : 9:00 am - 6:00 pm (Mon - Sat) / 10:00 am - 6:00 pm (Sunday)

Closed on Public Holidays.

Rome Airport Office

Building EPUA, Room 308-310
Fiumicino International Airport, 00050 Fiumicino
Rome, Italy

Many thanks, but I had several conversations with this number, that is only a call center, and with some others Qatar telephone numbers (Privilege Club, central assistance in Doha, etc.)  but as I said the only real suggestion that I had is to go to the airport and ask them directly.

Unfortunately I live 500 km from Rome Airport.....

4 hours ago, federicoP said:

they did not give me a clear answer,

Sure, they are in the same dilemma like you and all others due to the un-clear requirement. I checked with my test provider Centogene at Frankfurt airport and after long communication by mail they replied that they mention a) date and time when they take the swop and b) date and time when the result is available.

So suggest you leave it up to them to choose which method they accept.

Good luck.

This may or may not be of help.

September repatriation to BKK from USA.

Had four PCR tests with all four tests taken OUTSIDE the 72 hour marker.

ALL four test results came in within the 72 hour marker.  Some with date/time. Some with just date.

Took Qatar out of LAX to Doha to BKK.  NO problem checking in. At LAX. No problem with BKK checking a zillion times. NO check of anything in Doha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/25/2020 at 10:04 AM, jetaro said:

I've been wondering the same darn thing! all the tests around me are like from 2 to 5 days to get the results for the PCR Test!

so my concern is if i take the test too early and get the results in 2 days it might be longer than 72 hours!

but if i book it later and it's not ready in time I'm also screwed! this is ridiculous isn't it?

and the silly thing is, if you arrive with a fever or any symptoms they will test you on arrival at the airport anyway!

it sure has been crazy doing everything that has been needed and with the consulate sites saying different things,

and with the thai embassies/consulates never answering their phones or replying to my emails.

Believe it or not, I finally got my visa and certificate of entry (why they can't just send the C.O.E. with the visa is beyond me!)

and it seems i'm ready to roll in a few weeks, now I just have this stupid test to worry about.

How long did it take for visa, i was told to have embassy put elite visa in my passport and i applied for COE online and im afraid if i send passport to DC i may take weeks

On 12/25/2020 at 7:04 AM, jetaro said:

You don't necessarily have symptoms if you have the virus. A bad thing is even if you have gotten the vaccines you can still be a carrier. The tests are not 100% accurate anyway.

7 hours ago, Winegeeker said:

How long did it take for visa, i was told to have embassy put elite visa in my passport and i applied for COE online and im afraid if i send passport to DC i may take weeks

Maybe start a new thread for your query rather than hijack this one?

On 12/25/2020 at 10:46 PM, federicoP said:

This is the reason that I would appreciate to hear from somebody that had a direct experience with swab more than 72 hours in advance, but it seems that nobody answers........

We spoke a lot, on this forum, about this subject, but no one reported his real experience

Your PCR test certificate will have a test date ( collection date ) and a result issue date on it. It's the ISSUE date to be no more than 72 hours prior to departure. Confirm with Embassy and airline.

9 hours ago, elgenon said:

The problem for me is that I was not told when the results would be issued. Just a big window. Hope its gotten better.

Yeah I have read of some people here waiting at the airport for their test to return just hours before flights. Seems to be the quicker and more guaranteed you want it the more the companies are charging. I found one in uk that was £150 for the test with 48 hrs maximum before they email your test results. Some countries are only charging equivalent of £30-60 for the same test .