Bank letter for visa extension based on marriage

My first visa extension based on marriage is coming up,

and it's unclear to me what I need to ask my bank to state in the letter besides my account balance being at least 400,000 Baht.
Perhaps they will know if I tell them what it's for?
I'd appreciate any insight.

From my experience, the letter just states your name, account number and balance. It should be printed on the bank's official headed paper and dated, stamped and signed by the bank.

I gather that some immigration offices require the letter to be issued on the same day as your application, while others seem to except a letter dated the day before. This is something you will need to check out locally.

My  bank normally charges me 200 baht for the letter.

If you go to one of the bigger branches then they should have plenty of experience of producing these letters for expats. 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Here is a example of a bank letter from Bangkok bank. bank letter.pdf

And a zoom in from that with the title in Thai found here:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/982948-immigration-proof-of-bank-balance-letter/?do=findComment&comment=11884234

If you mention "for visa" it should be more than clear.

42 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

If you do it the day before, just take 100 baht out of the ATM with next day receipt.......everything covered then. 

Bangkok Bank can do an update at the counter without touching the account ("no transaction update").

SCB can't. Don't know about others.

I would never show a bank letter and a bankbook with differing amounts whatever small it is.

Some nitpickers out there. So update bank book before letter issued.

12 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Bangkok Bank can do an update at the counter without touching the account ("no transaction update").

Its true they do khunBENQ, but at a busy I.O. some people want to get in when it first opens,

So ATM is another option.

11 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Some nitpickers out there. So update bank book before letter issued

Have they ever asked to see the original bankbook of yours? I always take mine but it is never asked for. I supply copies from it and the final amount always matches the bank letter, and is recent (same or previous day). I believe that is what is looked for. 

Best to update bank book and obtain letter on day of application or day before. Jomtien immigration also required the bank to print out of last 2 months transactions and attach to the letter. Why they need this when all the information is in the bank book is a mystery. Maybe just a reason to send you away and make you work harder..!

15 minutes ago, Ecky said:

Best to update bank book and obtain letter on day of application or day before. Jomtien immigration also required the bank to print out of last 2 months transactions and attach to the letter. Why they need this when all the information is in the bank book is a mystery. Maybe just a reason to send you away and make you work harder..!

I printed them myself and just put them with my other stuff ,could not believe how quick things happened this year ,in and out of bank in 10 mins ,drove to Jomtien ,parked in the market ,the walk over to the office took longer than she processed my this years application ,wow ,

Can I ask a question?

Does the Bank letter have to be from the branch your account is at or can any branch do it?  I ask because my local branch, although helpful and polite, do not deal with many farangs at all but the branch a few minutes walk from the Immigration Office has much more experience.

The Bank is Kasikorn.  There has been 400,000 on deposit for a year and I have an up-to-date bank book.

Thank you for your advice.

At Ubon, this is what I did as I don't live far from my bank or immigration.

On the day of applying for a 1 year extension of stay, At the bank at 9am, updated my bank book at the machine, went inside and got the bank letter with the account total that matched the book. Made a copy of my bankbook info  page and the 400,000+bht pages of the 2 months required x 2.

At immigration, the girl that checks the paperwork before you sit with the imm. bloke, went through every transaction in the bank book checking it hadn't dropped below the 400,000bht..No probs...

I recently did my first extension in Phuket and they accept a bank letter up to seven days old, which I know because I did not get everything 100% correct at first and the IO reminded me to get things sorted and go back within the week so the bank letter would still be valid.

I still got an updated bank letter just in case!!

Cheers

18 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

If you do it the day before, just take 100 baht out of the ATM with next day receipt.......everything covered then. 

Then the balance shown on the letter will differ from the balance shown on the bank book.

generally the balances shown in book and letter should be exactly the same.

took the usual bank letter plus bank book to immigration a couple of weeks ago for my extension and they wanted me to go back and get the bank to do a full statement of the account on another letter, first time they have done that but it was a new girl. By the time the bank was able to do it it was too late to get back to immigration but they did the extension the next day when we went back, will get both the usual letter plus the statement one next year to be safe

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Have they ever asked to see the original bankbook of yours?

Remember one occasion where the IO went through and Bangkok Bank at the counter had spoiled one entry across a full page. Then followed by two empty pages.

Can't tell how often they looked into the book. Normally there is only one double page open with few entries on my fixed deposit book. Easy to spot.

From observing another counter I remember that one guy had a hard time combining two accounts. IO even took notes to do the math. Avoid that.

My money is always in a fixed term deposit and the SCB will not do an update. The IO always ask for it, but usually end up accepting what's in the bank book (noting there will only be one or two entries over the required time period) and the letter.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:18 PM, Nayet said:

My first visa extension based on marriage is coming up,

and it's unclear to me what I need to ask my bank to state in the letter besides my account balance being at least 400,000 Baht.
Perhaps they will know if I tell them what it's for?
I'd appreciate any insight.

They need to show the final date in your updated bankbook is the same as the one on which you apply for the visa, so you need to get the bank details done and then go to Immigration.

Archived