Non-O Thai Visa in Malaysia?

My mom is in Langkawi, Malaysia, and would like to get back to Phuket before my baby arrives in late March.

I contacted my teacher/school who I have my ED visa with (they also do retirement visas ) about my mom's options to come back for longer than the tourist visa allows (45 days last I heard, no extensions?)  She said to get a non-O visa in Malaysia to enter Thailand and then work on the retirement visa.  I asked if she knew that was possible currently, but she wasn't sure.  I haven't heard of anyone doing this lately, so I wanted to see what you all might know.

Also, are there any other options for mom to visit for 3+ months?  Thanks a lot, I really appreciate all the info here.  Happy New Year to all.

Your mom needs to contact the Thai consulate in Penang (if they are open) and otherwise the embassy in Kuala Lumpur. There are a number of hoops to jump through in order to return. The biggest issue is not the visa, it is the COE (Certificate of Entry) and meeting its requirements. A tourist visa will give a 60-day initial stay, extendable by 30 additional days within Thailand. If more time is needed, it is possible to apply for a Non O visa for retirement at an immigration office within Thailand.

As stated above, contact the consulate/embassy and confirm the requirements for the COE that will allow travel from Malaysia to Thailand. One of the requirements will be a 15-night quarantine in an approved quarantine hotel (this is known as ASQ or Alternative State Quarantine).

Perhaps the easy way will be to enter visa exempt to get a 45 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office. She will need to open a bank account and put 800k baht into the account or if from country that issue proof of income you use the 65k income option.

Then prior to the last 15 days of the 45 day entry or the 30 day extension she could apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry based upon qualifying for a extension based upon retirement. The 800k baht would only need to be in the bank of day she applies with proof it came from a abroad.

The during the last 30 day of the 90 days she could apply for a one year extension based upon retirement when the 800k baht has been in the bank for 2 months.

She would apply for the certificate of entry (COE) online here. https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/

One problem she may have is a flight to here but the consulate in Penang or the embassy in KL.

The Penang website has very little info on about flights and etc but the embassy does here. https://kualalumpur.thaiembassy.org/en/page/99059-visa?menu=5d75510d15e39c1e60004883

Archived