Buy a Thai ETF as a foreigner

I have opened a local stock trading account and was interested in buying a low-risk ETF (such as the TH100).

Now my advisor is telling me that I can only buy NVDR stocks of individual companies, not ETFs. Is that correct? 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, triplez said:

I have opened a local stock trading account and was interested in buying a low-risk ETF (such as the TH100).

Now my advisor is telling me that I can only buy NVDR stocks of individual companies, not ETFs. Is that correct? 

Good luck with getting an answer for this question as I am also interested. Cheers and have a good day mate????????????????????

• 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, Justanotherone said:

What etf at what bank did you end up buying?

I bought GLD, a gold tracker ETF. Broker is Bualuang (Bangkok Bank) and the ETF provider is KTAM (Krungthai Asset Management). A good hedge against the falling baht at the moment due to Covid. You can check the historical chart, typing "bkk:gld" into Google. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Capitalist said:

May I ask, why a Thai ETF? Did you asses that Thai ETF's have the best risk-to-reward ratio for you?

Why not a Malaysian, Singaporean, Canadian, or American ETF?

I'm just curious behind your reasoning.

Not the OP but I've been considering Thai ETS's simply because there are some pretty good values out there now of ETS's that have historically performed well but are at this time, at a low.

1 minute ago, dddave said:

Not the OP but I've been considering Thai ETS's simply because there are some pretty good values out there now of ETS's that have historically performed well but are at this time, at a low.

I see. I'm interested to learn more so feel free to elaborate. Which Thai ETFs are you most interested in, and why?

On 12/29/2020 at 11:28 AM, triplez said:

Can you explain how you did this and what was needed at Bangkok bank.

On 12/30/2020 at 10:05 PM, triplez said:

Update: Seems like there was a misunderstanding. Turns out I can buy ETFs as a foreigner without issues. 
Thanks everyone

yes big misunderstanding, the foreign shares is something of the past, you can buy local shares as long as you are registered and NDVR handle the dividend payments

as strangely as it sounds, this is to protect foreign investors from brokers cashing in dividends on their behalf, like it used to be done in the early 90s ????

6 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

old post I see, the TH100 is being dissolved according to SET News as of July 1

Not quite.  Shareholders are being asked if they want to close TH100.  Their replies are due by 18 August.  Whether the ETF will be closed will be decided some time after that (it may not be), and the actual liquidation will be some time later.  So, as of the moment, the fund is still being traded.

(KGI owns 55.20% of the shares, and it's pretty much impossible that the announcement was made without consulting them.  That implies that KGI wants to liquidate the fund, so it almost certainly will be closed.)

Did have a look on Bloomberg, and am shocked to see the expense ratio is 2.32%.  That would be extortionate for a mutual fund, let alone a common or garden ETF.

The SET announcement is at https://www.set.or.th/set/newsdetails.do?newsId=16250966078720&language=en&country=US

The SET major shareholder list is at https://www.set.or.th/set/companyholder.do?symbol=TH100&ssoPageId=6&language=en&country=US

And the Bloomberg page is at https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/TH100:TB

Can anyone here provide information about the composition of a Thailand midcap index?

I asked FTSE Russel some weeks ago about which stocks were in their midcap index in Thailand, but they replied that this information is only for subscribers, which rings very wrong to me.
My opinion is they should not be allowed to publish the index to the public if its composition is a secret. Index should be subscription only too.

Are there any other Thai midcap indexes with known components?

1 hour ago, tgw said:

I asked FTSE Russel some weeks ago about which stocks were in their midcap index in Thailand, but they replied that this information is only for subscribers, which rings very wrong to me.

If a company goes to the cost and trouble of constructing an index, why do you think you should be able to know its constituents for free? It's a nonsense.

If, however, there were, say, an ETF based upon such an index, then the ETF would need periodically to publish the ETF constituents which may, or may not, be similar to the index.  It would also need to publish how its performance differs from that index.  The company providing the ETF would also need to pay FTSE Russell for use of the index.

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

If a company goes to the cost and trouble of constructing an index, why do you think you should be able to know its constituents for free? It's a nonsense.

If, however, there were, say, an ETF based upon such an index, then the ETF would need periodically to publish the ETF constituents which may, or may not, be similar to the index.  It would also need to publish how its performance differs from that index.  The company providing the ETF would also need to pay FTSE Russell for use of the index.

They publish their midcap index as part of the SET indexes, which are the underlying product for derivatives.  it's not a fund. it's an index. as such, and being an underlying for financial products, its composition should be public.

I have been a licensed trader on public exchanges such as FWB, XETRA, DTB and SOFFEX and indexes with "secret" composition just feel wrong.

look at this page of the SET:

https://www.set.or.th/en/products/index/ftse_set_p1.html

composition of indexes listed on that page are secret. Does this seem right to you?

This new series of investible and transparent benchmarks is specially designed to measure the performance of Thai capital market and can be used as a basis for attractive index-linked products that appeal to both local and international investors. FTSE SET Index Series comprises indices segmented as below.

"transparent"

LOL

Edited by tgw

• 9 months later...

Which brokerage is anyone on here using in Thailand. Bangkok bank have limited funds, and the fees are steep. Im based in  Thailand and wish to invest in Thai baht; any good recommendation for brokers with a good range of etf's mutual funds and competitive prices.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
On 7/18/2021 at 10:40 AM, Khabib said:

I bought GLD, a gold tracker ETF. Broker is Bualuang (Bangkok Bank) and the ETF provider is KTAM (Krungthai Asset Management). A good hedge against the falling baht at the moment due to Covid. You can check the historical chart, typing "bkk:gld" into Google. 

Im also looking at Bualuang to buy ETF's, but the fees seem very high indeed; did you search around for any other ETF providers? They all seem to be extortionate (compared to the west).

• 10 months later...