Thai Nationals Visiting Laos

wolfmanjack

I have been searching thai visa forum for information on visiting laos and have not found the answers to my questions. I also spent some time googling this with no satisfaction.There are knowledgeable people that have posted about the laos visa so I am posting this on Thai Visa.

By googling I see that laos has a 30 day visa for $30 and a 15 day visa for 800 baht. Can you get the 15 day visa on arrival or do you need to get it from a travel agency?

I also need to know about my wife and kids.

My wife has a thai passport and my kids who were born in thailand only have a USA passport. How many days can a thai stay in laos without a proper visa?

Is there a multiple day pass for thai nationals that is restricted to the Vientiane area?

Do they have a special ASEAN visa that they can get ?

Can my kids use their thai birth certificate to get the visa for thai people ?

I know they have a day pass but i might need to be there for a few days. I thought about renting a room in Nong Khai and going across on days passes but did not want to pay $30 a day for multiple visas for myself. What options are available that you know of?

I think that if i want to go to Luang Prabang the only option is the $30 visas ? is this true ?

Thank you for your help.

I have been searching thai visa forum for information on visiting laos and have not found the answers to my questions. I also spent some time googling this with no satisfaction.There are knowledgeable people that have posted about the laos visa so I am posting this on Thai Visa.

By googling I see that laos has a 30 day visa for $30 and a 15 day visa for 800 baht. Can you get the 15 day visa on arrival or do you need to get it from a travel agency?

you can get a single entry 30 day visa on arrival for 30$ (I think if u arrive after 4 or 6 pm u have to pay a "overtime charge" for 1$). No 15 day visa and no need for a travel agency

I also need to know about my wife and kids.

My wife has a thai passport and my kids who were born in thailand only have a USA passport. How many days can a thai stay in laos without a proper visa?

thais can stay up to 30 days without a visa. They get a 30 day stamp for free at the border

Is there a multiple day pass for thai nationals that is restricted to the Vientiane area?

thais can get a temporary border pass which allow them to stay 3days/2nights and it's restricted to Vientiane

Do they have a special ASEAN visa that they can get ?

Can my kids use their thai birth certificate to get the visa for thai people ?

some time ago they can get a temporary border pass (3days/2nights) with thai birth certificate and the thai house register (thats my experiance) but i dont know if they still can get it now

I know they have a day pass but i might need to be there for a few days. I thought about renting a room in Nong Khai and going across on days passes but did not want to pay $30 a day for multiple visas for myself. What options are available that you know of?

The only option for you is a 30$ single entry visa (no multiple visas issued!!)

I think that if i want to go to Luang Prabang the only option is the $30 visas ? is this true ?

yes

Thank you for your help.

The old price was $30 for a visa on arrival. The new price, for USA citizens, is $35. The $1 extra fee for off-hours I think also applies during lunch time, 12-1PM. Also if you don't have a photo with you they'll usually charge you $1 extra to copy your passport photo.

If you're entering Laos via the international bus that runs between Udon Thani and Vientiane, you'll need a visa in advance or else you'll have to terminate you bus trip at the bridge being they won't wait for you to get your visa on arrival. So in that case you're better off getting your visa in advance of traveling. If not, no reason I can see for not just getting the visa on arrival at Friendship Bridge.

Edited by Soju

Thank you both for your replies. A couple more questions.

The free 30 day visa for thais allow them to go to luang prabang also or just vientiane?

can my kids get the free 30 day visa without a thai passport ? they have thai birth certificate and are registered on the house papers.

The old price was $30 for a visa on arrival. The new price, for USA citizens, is $35. The $1 extra fee for off-hours I think also applies during lunch time, 12-1PM. Also if you don't have a photo with you they'll usually charge you $1 extra to copy your passport photo.

If you're entering Laos via the international bus that runs between Udon Thani and Vientiane, you'll need a visa in advance or else you'll have to terminate you bus trip at the bridge being they won't wait for you to get your visa on arrival. So in that case you're better off getting your visa in advance of traveling. If not, no reason I can see for not just getting the visa on arrival at Friendship Bridge.

Thank you. I plan to drive from chiang mai to nong khai and cross there by bus or whatever. I think I have to leave my car in nong khai. Any recommendations on a safe place?

Thai nationals get 30 day visa free entry into loas on presentation of a Thai passport. Travel is anywhere in laos. It is simply a matter of turning up at the border and being stamped in.

Border passes for Thai nationals are available, but you have to go to the Ampur in Nong Khai and apply for it, and it is only good for three days max to travel to Vientienne Prefecture in Laos.

I'd go for the Thai passports to enter as it is less hassel.

As for your kids, as they are also Thai citizens, I'd recommend that you get them Thai passports for this journey. As a dual national myself, I highly recommend that for Thai citizens, all travel in and out of Thailand in done on a Thai passport. If your kids returned to Thailand on the US passports, they will be treated as US citzens here in Thailand, and subject to immigration restrictions on their stay.

At 1000 baht a pop for the Thai passport (and max 5 day turn around time) it will be cheaper for them to get the thai passports and then travel to Vientienne, rather than the $35 (1200 baht) per child entry fee. They'll also have Thai passports to use the next time the exit Thailand.

Thai nationals get 30 day visa free entry into loas on presentation of a Thai passport. Travel is anywhere in laos. It is simply a matter of turning up at the border and being stamped in.

Border passes for Thai nationals are available, but you have to go to the Ampur in Nong Khai and apply for it, and it is only good for three days max to travel to Vientienne Prefecture in Laos.

I'd go for the Thai passports to enter as it is less hassel.

As for your kids, as they are also Thai citizens, I'd recommend that you get them Thai passports for this journey. As a dual national myself, I highly recommend that for Thai citizens, all travel in and out of Thailand in done on a Thai passport. If your kids returned to Thailand on the US passports, they will be treated as US citzens here in Thailand, and subject to immigration restrictions on their stay.

At 1000 baht a pop for the Thai passport (and max 5 day turn around time) it will be cheaper for them to get the thai passports and then travel to Vientienne, rather than the $35 (1200 baht) per child entry fee. They'll also have Thai passports to use the next time the exit Thailand.

Thank You. I think i will do that. The last time i went to do this in chiang mai they told me it would be 3 weeks and the amount of people in line was crazy. I will plan on spending the entire day there this time waiting in line and postpone my trip until after they get their passports.

Again thanks for the info.

I have a query ... slightly off topic ...

I'm travelling to Laos with my Thai boyfriend. I've read that foreigner-Lao relationships are illegal unless married, and rooms are often raided by officials suspecting this is going on. Obviously, he has a Thai passport, but has anyone experienced this kind of treatment by suspecting officials (thinking they may be Lao instead of Thai), or heard of it happening?

I just want to know whether to prepare for hassle or if it rarely happens?

I have a query ... slightly off topic ...

I'm travelling to Laos with my Thai boyfriend. I've read that foreigner-Lao relationships are illegal unless married, and rooms are often raided by officials suspecting this is going on. Obviously, he has a Thai passport, but has anyone experienced this kind of treatment by suspecting officials (thinking they may be Lao instead of Thai), or heard of it happening?

I just want to know whether to prepare for hassle or if it rarely happens?

I've travelled there a number of times with my then girlfriend (now wife), and it isn't a problem.

Same as Samran, I also haven't ever had a problem at any hotels in various places in Laos with my wife. We always give both our passports to the check-in clerk, so they're very aware she's Thai. Never seen any Lao police inside or near any hotels in Laos with the exception once of some police guarding a hotel in Pakse while some VIPs were staying there.