World's Best Rock And Roll Bands

70s era van morrison concerts were almost unmissable as well, old age has caught up with him now though.

AC/DC might be my favorite rock band but best album, bar none?

Astral Weeks

Ace

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

70s era van morrison concerts were almost unmissable as well, old age has caught up with him now though.

AC/DC might be my favorite rock band but best album, bar none?

Astral Weeks

Ace

ace,

i hear you, a timeless masterpiece, still sounds fresh every time i listen to it, could have been released yesterday.This is what Lester Bangs wrote of Van Morrison's Astral Weeks: "I don't really know how significant it might be that many others have reported variants on my initial encounter with Astral Weeks. I don't think there's anything guiding it to people enduring dark periods. It did come out at a time when a lot of things that a lot of people cared about passionately were beginning to disintegrate, and when the self-destructive undertow that always accompanied the great '60s party had an awful lot of ankles firmly in its maw and was pulling straight down. So, as timeless as it finally is, perhaps Astral Weeks was also the product of an era. Better think that than ask just what sort of Irish churchwebbed haints Van Morrison might be product of."Bangs added: "Madame George is the album's whirlpool. Possibly one of the most compassionate pieces of music ever made.

i wont argue with that, lets not forget, ballerina, slim slow rider, sweet thing and astral weeks

Fans lapped up the album when Astral Weeks was released in 1968 but it wasn't a commercial success. It only went gold in 2001, almost unbelievable, when we have to endure the crap being released these days, no wonder people are downloading p2p and not buying, anyone remember, the dreadful 80s and all that stock aitken and waterman rubbish, rick astley is probably stacking shelves at tesco these days.

• 1 month later...

I have been watching and listening to The Who 2002 live concert in Boston I just picked up at Pantip on music DVD. It has renewed my love affair with The Who. And, it got me thinking, who would I consider to be the best rock band of all time. In my mind, I think it would have to be a close race between The Who and Led Z. Interesting that Ringo Starr's son is their drummer.

I was friends and did some business with one of the most famous rock promoters in the US, whose mansion looks like the rock and roll hall of fame, with gold records on all the walls, hand-signed guitars by Clapton, etc.. He knew them all, and I mean everyone. When I asked him this question some years ago, he answered without batting an eye: The Who. He said their live concerts were absolutely legendary, and that he has never seen anyone before or since do it better.

Their are so many great bands. If you are a fan of Los Lobos you need to hear Ozomatli, they are awsome!!

The Beatles, eh? I didn't see them, maybe just miseed them.

I am trying to stick to what could be called rock music.

Zep

Megadeth

The Cure

NIN

Yes

The Who

David Bowie

The Black Crowes

AC/DC

Radiohead

The Clash

The Ramones

Black Sabbath

Motorhead

Guns n' Roses

VAST

Incubus

Van Halen

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Tool

Santana

The Guess Who

Genesis

CCR

ah...yeah, I'll think of more later. :o

Clearly a man of good taste but who misspelled Status Quo as Guns and Roses. :D

Their are so many great bands. If you are a fan of Los Lobos you need to hear Ozomatli, they are awsome!!

The Beatles, eh? I didn't see them, maybe just miseed them.

I am trying to stick to what could be called rock music.

Zep

Megadeth

The Cure

NIN

Yes

The Who

David Bowie

The Black Crowes

AC/DC

Radiohead

The Clash

The Ramones

Black Sabbath

Motorhead

Guns n' Roses

VAST

Incubus

Van Halen

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Tool

Santana

The Guess Who

Genesis

CCR

ah...yeah, I'll think of more later. :o

Clearly a man of good taste but who misspelled Status Quo as Guns and Roses. :D

Thank you. I do perfer the pre-buckethead Gn'R. :D

Just wanted to add the "DOORS".

Maybe, not the greatest band of all time. Hardcore SOB Jim was :D

RIP Jim :o

*j*

I totally agree. I think if the poll was reworded to best rock singer of all time, he totally kicks azz on everyone else, and still the doors would be a candidate for best rock band. BTW, as many probably know, you can visit his grave at Pere LaChaise cemetery in Paris, which I've done, AND if you get to West Hollywood, there is a tiny motel at La Cienega & Santa Monica Blvd. where Jim lived for a long time in one of the upstairs rooms where he got messed up and wrote some of his greatest stuff. The motel is owned by a Korean couple now, but they do have that room named the Jim Morrison room. I couldn't resist staying there once. :D

I have been watching and listening to The Who 2002 live concert in Boston I just picked up at Pantip on music DVD. It has renewed my love affair with The Who. And, it got me thinking, who would I consider to be the best rock band of all time. In my mind, I think it would have to be a close race between The Who and Led Z. Interesting that Ringo Starr's son is their drummer.

I was friends and did some business with one of the most famous rock promoters in the US, whose mansion looks like the rock and roll hall of fame, with gold records on all the walls, hand-signed guitars by Clapton, etc.. He knew them all, and I mean everyone. When I asked him this question some years ago, he answered without batting an eye: The Who. He said their live concerts were absolutely legendary, and that he has never seen anyone before or since do it better.

I saw them on their farewell tour years ago as a young teenager (went with my ex-hippie brother-in-law) and the show was awesome. Of course, it was after Keith Moon died (I am not that old!) but they were still terrific.

Thin Lizzy . As a spotty young lad, I took a summer job at the Palace in the IOM. Thin Lizzy did the summer gig thing on the Island and were magic.

However, Slade at Wolverhampton Civic Hall 1972/3 will never be bettered for sheer noise and crowd participation.

Just wanted to add the "DOORS".

Maybe, not the greatest band of all time. Hardcore SOB Jim was :D

RIP Jim :D

*j*

I totally agree. I think if the poll was reworded to best rock singer of all time, he totally kicks azz on everyone else, and still the doors would be a candidate for best rock band. BTW, as many probably know, you can visit his grave at Pere LaChaise cemetery in Paris, which I've done, AND if you get to West Hollywood, there is a tiny motel at La Cienega & Santa Monica Blvd. where Jim lived for a long time in one of the upstairs rooms where he got messed up and wrote some of his greatest stuff. The motel is owned by a Korean couple now, but they do have that room named the Jim Morrison room. I couldn't resist staying there once. :D

Next time I'm in LA I will check it out.

"Gotta Keep On Risen" :o

*j*

There's been plenty of worthy contenders mentioned with good claims to the title, but one BIG band conspicuous by their absence.....KISS.

A great stage act (possibly the best of their time) and their music seemed to please a lot of people if record sales is anything to go by.

So own up.....whose got a KISS album or two hiding in the cupboard ?

Rush

By far the most talented and each member is a virtuoso on their respective instruments

None of the Brit or American bands can compete with Rush

The best band ever to come out of Canada

That wouldn't be hard now would it... Bryan Adams et al :o

I've a Canadian mate whose just as delirious :D

For band 'virtuoso musician' members, look no further than Pink Floyd.

But hey, whatever floats yer boat :D

Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix.

Finally someone hit the nail on the head! And SF my old home of the 60's, add also Greatful Dead, and Yardbirds :o:D

WELL, if you want to talk about legendary SF bands, how about Quicksilver Messenger Service, and of course the great Grace Slick and Airplanes?? Not to mention Moby Grape and all the other gread acid head bands. BTW, I'm not that old, but I got all my older brother's albums. :D And, of course the queen of all queens, Janice Joplin.

Edited by chinthee

not sure if anyone has mentioned him or not, but i saw Bryan Adams way back BEFORE that stupid robin hood song. summer of 69 days. he rocked. saw the stones live, and they were probably one of the best bands ive seen live.

billy thorpe, for the australians out there, was great, as were hunters and collectors.

rose tattoo were another great australian band, back in the seventies, i guess, when i saw them.

my first live music experience, when i could see the band was KISS in 1980. Dynasty tour. brilliant.

my first live music experience, when i couldnt see the band, was AC/DC when they played at the school dance across the road from my house back in the 70s i guess. woke to the windows shaking and bon scott screaming out 'TNT, OI, OI, OI'. classic.

Finally someone hit the nail on the head! And SF my old home of the 60's, add also Greatful Dead, and Yardbirds :D:D

WELL, if you want to talk about legendary SF bands, how about Quicksilver Messenger Service, and of course the great Grace Slick and Airplanes?? Not to mention Moby Grape and all the other gread acid head bands. BTW, I'm not that old, but I got all my older brother's albums. :D And, of course the queen of all queens, Janice Joplin.

You know what I'm talkin' bout, chinthee, or your "brother" does, I could go on naming great bands, but their are alot out there, ask JANIS :o:D :lol:Not to forget Zappa & The Mothers!

Edited by SamuiJens

Finally someone hit the nail on the head! And SF my old home of the 60's, add also Greatful Dead, and Yardbirds :D:D

You know what I'm talkin' bout, chinthee, or your "brother" does, I could go on naming great bands, but their are alot out there, ask JANIS :o:D :lol:Not to forget Zappa & The Mothers!

Samuijens, I'm absolutely steeped in the SF movement. Do you remember Suzy Creamcheese? My first album purchase. Loved it. trip on. Vanilla Fudge duay.

Suzy Creamcheese

wasnt she one of frank zappas muses and the founder of the "plaster casters"

Zup, but she had an entire album dedicated to her.

But really, the most beautiful acid rock music of the 60s came from "It's a Beautiful Day" with David and Linda LaFlamme. Absolutely fantastic electric violin etc..

Edited by chinthee

Finally someone hit the nail on the head! And SF my old home of the 60's, add also Greatful Dead, and Yardbirds :bah::bah:

WELL, if you want to talk about legendary SF bands, how about Quicksilver Messenger Service, and of course the great Grace Slick and Airplanes?? Not to mention Moby Grape and all the other gread acid head bands. BTW, I'm not that old, but I got all my older brother's albums. :o And, of course the queen of all queens, Janice Joplin.

You know what I'm talkin' bout, chinthee, or your "brother" does, I could go on naming great bands, but their are alot out there, ask JANIS :D;) :lol:Not to forget Zappa & The Mothers!

Samuijens, I'm absolutely steeped in the SF movement. Do you remember Suzy Creamcheese? My first album purchase. Loved it. trip on. Vanilla Fudge duay.

HELP I'm a ( Farang) Cop!!!

Santana really deserves a BIG mention, soo smooth! And Best Festival; Goes to........Monterey Pops, 1967, me there at 17! Groovy! Ya, Man, those where the daze! :D :D :D:o Dan Hicks & his Hot Licks! Who everybody liked, And Jimi Henricks, Man, He set the World On Fire!

Why so few named him, I can't understand!

Also, Son of Suzy Cremecheese and SoSC Rides again!

Edited by SamuiJens

"It's a Beautiful Day"

that was a good album.

youre putting me into sentimental nostalgia mode.

what about captain beefheart.

Yeah, and how about Spirit? One of the great 60s bands. Not to mention two of the greatest British bands of the 60s, the animals and the Kinks. Absolutely fantastic! My first band we did only Kinks cover songs as I played lead. Of course the Byrds were legendary too. Not to mention the incredible Moody Blues.

Finally someone hit the nail on the head! And SF my old home of the 60's, add also Greatful Dead, and Yardbirds :bah::bah:

WELL, if you want to talk about legendary SF bands, how about Quicksilver Messenger Service, and of course the great Grace Slick and Airplanes?? Not to mention Moby Grape and all the other gread acid head bands. BTW, I'm not that old, but I got all my older brother's albums. :o And, of course the queen of all queens, Janice Joplin.

You know what I'm talkin' bout, chinthee, or your "brother" does, I could go on naming great bands, but their are alot out there, ask JANIS :D;) :lol:Not to forget Zappa & The Mothers!

HELP I'm a ( Farang) Cop!!!

Santana really deserves a BIG mention, soo smooth! And Best Festival; Goes to........Monterey Pops, 1967, me there at 17! Groovy! Ya, Man, those where the daze! :D:D:D:o Dan Hicks & his Hot Licks! Who everybody liked, And Jimi Henricks, Man, He set the World On Fire!

Why so few named him, I can't understand!

Also, Son of Suzy Cremecheese and SoSC Rides again!

Don't worry about being a farang cop. I forgive you, and anyway, I'm a very straight middle aged man trying to control my teenaged son's pot useage!