A few more pictures of french cleats in action use and making 

Being made

D13325B8-0D43-4A35-A494-4D4D35C4B605.jpeg.fdbdb590a2a455288977c36815c1f404.jpeg

8D22AED9-EC88-4FBE-8981-38F8E1A40CE7.jpeg.8c05ed7e434d7830f1bb416c22418847.jpeg

EDA61D88-5E5D-4D76-881C-A300DA5BDA46.jpeg.a0a33580fb4bccb948f0488ddded3d87.jpeg

on a Sysport

EF5B8BDB-1F09-4162-A343-1EFABD04316F.jpeg.4cebb4baeaab54391d0a9da3cda14e5a.jpeg

Holding up a set of cubbyholes

BCF8CA32-5F68-4BFF-97EB-DE145F2F1121.jpeg.2058afda5d14ed7fd1cb020f15a4d989.jpegD0377387-268B-43E4-BCB4-90469488AF35.jpeg.a260a450eefca37c8a5abb6041b4b3f4.jpeg6C2F4FA0-A3DB-4755-97E2-3D8588D5F1BE.jpeg.59160ac2ea532284b82618bb28357b70.jpeg

Some of the wall storage 

1A0292AA-E519-474C-9E30-C505FD884D1C.jpeg.248be5636a771fb4fa3a74364155aa38.jpeg

tool holders

078C7A0E-11FB-4589-AE36-95CE4DC9C29B.jpeg.d885f5678e05e55cbdc20956088d3361.jpeg

4A92E1CE-3EA9-445A-BD27-F083D54B3BFF.jpeg.813d699276c5ad7081c7f0c9c2bc9c7c.jpeg

7A85A1AD-05F7-4AF6-BF4C-FD7F6FA8683B.jpeg.a7fce54977a57ee08bc67d5b67d4f53e.jpeg

Ready use wood storage 

BE7830FF-5D3E-49FD-AC15-DB429C89F29A.jpeg.de35fd223c28783edd6cd8508a3de332.jpeg

This is not comprehensive at all I have quite a lot more places where they are in use. An example is a wall cabinet I made as a test piece about 10 years ago, it was in our old kitchen, talking it off the wall and putting it up in my workshop was extremely simple and fast as it was hung on a french cleat, getting it perfectly level was also trivial as I only had to level the cleat on the wall then the cabinet was automatically level, I have also allowed for sideways movement.

F8BFA8A1-4F45-418F-B095-6DD0196461C8.jpeg

Very nice work, where do you get your plywood at?

All my stuff is occasional use at this time of life.

I have mostly Stanley hand and power tools. Makita impact driver, Stanley tablesaw, Maktec router, Stanley circ saw.

Most sits in a box/cabinet until I need to fix something or I want to go play in the workshop???? and build something. Never had to repair or service any of it.

In all honesty if any of it had a problem I would probably just replace it as none of it is what I would deem "expensive" here.

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well Er !! Black & Decker were consider rubbish in UK.

I found them OK and and you can get hammer drills in global house cheap just as good not underpowered at all just as good as black & decker.

My B&D has lasted decades, in fact I used it last month with a 7/8 inch bit to drill a 2 inch deep hole in masonry. No problem there.

Makita and Bosch had very good advertising campaigns over the years and possibly they are probably better crafted too (no idea, they just create the impression, like Audi....). B&D were just considered workaday, not rubbish.

13 hours ago, PGSan said:

Mine were not!   

Neither was my B & D's either if you read the post.

As said I've bought cheap tools from Global house and they still doing a lot of work going on 3 years+, only changed brushes in one.

12 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

My B&D has lasted decades, in fact I used it last month with a 7/8 inch bit to drill a 2 inch deep hole in masonry. No problem there.

Makita and Bosch had very good advertising campaigns over the years and possibly they are probably better crafted too (no idea, they just create the impression, like Audi....). B&D were just considered workaday, not rubbish.

I agree in UK I bought many cheap tools that were only meant for household use.

Many raved on about Bosch and Dewalt but I considered them too expensive.

I didn't have much choice when came to special tools made by Fein & Hilti they were only expensive tools I bought.

I use B & D tools for over 30 years of working in the building industry.

B&D is the only "name brand" mfg. I can think of that seems to have an equal number of lovers and haters.  For me, B&D was my first set of tools (like 50 years ago) and without exception all the power tools and eventually even the hand tools become defective within a few years.  I switched my shop to 100% Craftsman, which my son-in-law inherited and still in use.  But guess who owns Craftsman now.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Well Er !! Black & Decker were consider rubbish in UK.

You really need to define the dates you are talking about as Black & Decker has gone through several owners and different periods when the tools were changed and the manufacturing changed countries. At some times the quality changed both down and up. 

My drill was built in England it has a date of 1980 on it so I must have bought it then or shortly after.

I cannot say anything about the brand as a whole, but my hammer drill has never had a problem.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You really need to define the dates you are talking about as Black & Decker has gone through several owners and different periods when the tools were changed and the manufacturing changed countries. At some times the quality changed both down and up. 

My drill was built in England it has a date of 1980 on it so I must have bought it then or shortly after.

I cannot say anything about the brand as a whole, but my hammer drill has never had a problem.

I think people here are just picking up on one line of my post and in UK many people considered B & D weren't any good for professional use I was one who would disagree. 

I bought B & D and other cheap makes over 30 years who they were owned by wouldn't concern me, I just wanted tools to ditriubute to my workforce at a reasonable price.

Coming to Thailand I fine cheap tools sold in Global house just as good for a job of work domestic or construction wise.

44 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I think people here are just picking up on one line of my post and in UK many people considered B & D weren't any good for professional use I was one who would disagree. 

I apologise, your wording seemed to suggest the opposite.

Later, when they (B&D) were purchased, the quality did drop and they lived on the reputation they had built over years people did get burned and slagged them off with good reason. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2020 at 12:05 PM, Kwasaki said:

The cheapest from Global house I'm not going into business. ????

Global House now charges 3% for credit card purchases.  It is new and they will not warn you before.  You won't see it until you get you bill

15 minutes ago, Toany said:

Global House now charges 3% for credit card purchases.  It is new and they will not warn you before.  You won't see it until you get you bill

New since when? They were charging 3% about a year ago. I just pay cash when I'm there.

In any event, if something is 10% cheaper paying 3% for credit is still a good buy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toany said:

I don't mind that I still buy from global because there always cheaper than esle where even with 3% added. 

My dad's old Bridges drill (before Stanley/Bridges) is still going strong and living in Oz with my half brother. It was old even when I was a sprog.

Like this one, single-speed, tiny chuck but it had a neon indicator to show it had a good earth.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Makita is good and I bought a drill

kit on special after my 20 year old Dewalt hammer drills plastic case finally fell apart . Motor and everything else is good but buying a case is nearly a $100 from the US with shipping . Model DW984 if anyone needs some spare parts?

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

My dad's old Bridges drill (before Stanley/Bridges) is still going strong and living in Oz with my half brother. It was old even when I was a sprog.

Like this one, single-speed, tiny chuck but it had a neon indicator to show it had a good earth.

hqdefault.jpg

My dad got a deal on about ten Craftsman 1/4” drills back in the early ‘70s, and he gave them out as wedding presents. Everyone would laugh when they were opened, but my dad got a lot of comments over the years about what a great gift it was.

Incidentally. Craftsman was the house brand for Sears & Roebuck and was always a pretty good brand, but never consider commercial grade. My sister still has a bunch of my dad’s old stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

Incidentally. Craftsman was the house brand for Sears & Roebuck and was always a pretty good brand, but never consider commercial grade.

Craftsman had (has?) a "Craftsman Professional" tier which was available in the store - lifetime warranty.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 4:27 PM, Kwasaki said:

I don't mind that I still buy from global because there always cheaper than esle where even with 3% added. 

I don't like the charge being hidden.  Why not warn you like most ethical stores do?

On 1/4/2021 at 4:27 PM, Kwasaki said:

I don't mind if they tell me they will charge 3% because then I will pay cash.  Hiding the charge is what I'm objecting to