Good tool brand in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

2 hours ago, Toany said:

I don't like the charge being hidden.  Why not warn you like most ethical stores do?

The cashier sometimes does tell me in Global if she knows English to say so some don't so just go ahead with the charge paid with a credit card. 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The cashier sometimes does tell me in Global if she knows English to say so some don't so just go ahead with the charge paid with a credit card. 

I was with a Thai who the cashier spoke to

Edited by Toany
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toany said:

I don't mind if they tell me they will charge 3% because then I will pay cash.  Hiding the charge is what I'm objecting to

They don't hide it it comes up on the charge screen.

You should enquire first IMO. TiT. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

They don't hide it it comes up on the charge screen.

You should enquire first IMO. TiT. 

They never changed before.  Do you ask every time you use a credit card if they charge.

If they change the way they do things.  Ethical to tell people

Edited by Toany
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Toany said:

They never changed before.  Do you ask every time you use a credit card if they charge.

They do tell people, and they may even have signs up. They (apparently) didn't tell you, so go with the short nose and quit trading with them. I think it's a nice operation, and in all fairness, why should cash customers have to pay for customers that use credit?

To be clear, I like to use a credit card for most everything, but at GH, I pay cash...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

They do tell people, and they may even have signs up. They (apparently) didn't tell you, so go with the short nose and quit trading with them. I think it's a nice operation, and in all fairness, why should cash customers have to pay for customers that use credit?

To be clear, I like to use a credit card for most everything, but at GH, I pay cash...

I was giving people a heads up that thwy have now started charging

22 minutes ago, Toany said:

I have already made it clear TiT,  I don't care if there's an extra charge if I want to buy something with my credit card I just do it as I do in Garages, 7-11, Big'C' and Cockpit etc it's convenient and a small charge. 

Some do some don't charge. 

3 hours ago, Toany said:

They have always charged on some items and not on others, so I always check if there will be a card charge.

Sometimes they have told me, but if they don’t I ask.

I haven’t been able to discover which class of goods attract the charges.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I haven’t been able to discover which class of goods attract the charges.

I can't speak for Global (I don't use them that often), but Mega Home used to charge extra for "building materials" but they seem to have stopped even that now.

Do they have the option of using TrueMoney or one of the other QR based systems, most can be funded with your credit card?

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

I can't speak for Global (I don't use them that often), but Mega Home used to charge extra for "building materials" but they seem to have stopped even that now.

Do they have the option of using TrueMoney or one of the other QR based systems, most can be funded with your credit card?

I think that they allow one or more of those systems but haven’t looked carefully as I don’t use any of them.

18 hours ago, Toany said:

Yes, yours is the correct response. A sign clearly displayed at the checkout is the way it's usually handled. 

I've bought a few tools in Thailand since 2005.  I've met a few power tool manufacturing CEO and Thailand directors. I took the opportunity to tour a few tool assembly plants in Thailand. I look up power tools, garden tools and lawnmowers on my paid online subscription to Consumer Reports .  org and Choice . com   Not every tool sold in Thailand is top rated. Abuse of tools in Thailand comes in many forms and it explains why warranty periods are shorted in developing countries than North America, Australia or Europe. Global House sells some fine brands and one must be aware of their credit card policies. I personally see dozens of name brand power tools and lawn mowers sold in person everyday in Buriram and sold via Lazada and Shopee from the same hardware store. It has served me well to buy brands where the "Thailand Distributor" or "Thailand Importer" values customer service AFTER THE SALE.  There is no end to tool brands which fall short on spare parts really being in stock.  Asgatec is a real "favorite" In 2021 it is far easier to order spare parts online for tool customers in Thailand for brands such as Stanley or DeWALT. Even the largest Makita tools DISTRIBTOR in Thailand has spare parts listed on line for consumers to buy. I prefer to have a trained repairman tell me what parts he needs to order and his expertise to install those parts. I sure steer clear of the no name brands or house brands where after the sales service is terrible to non existent. I buy pet toys at Mr. D.I.Y. but steer clear of the "stool isle".  The STORE that sells you any name brand tool CAN HELP YOU, if they are of the mindset to help customers. If I can present the warranty card, and store receipt the process of a warranty repair goes smooth. In Buriram I have had Garden tools, lawn mowers and power tools repaired locally and I have paid the modest shipping fee to have boxed tool expedited to Bangkok repair service centers when it was not feasible at a regional repair service center. 

Makita Buriram Cordless Hedge trimmer Customer Service January 2021.jpg

Buriram Thailand Honda Self Propelled lawnmower delivery 2021.jpg

Buriram DeWALT Table Wood Saw Thailand January 2021.jpg

Buriram Dewalt 18V 5ah Cordless Drill Saw Repair Service Jan 2021.JPG

Buriram DeWALT Stanley Power Tool Sale January 2021.jpg

Buriram Makita 18V Battery Power Tools Thailand Delivery.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kamalabob2 said:

I've bought a few tools in Thailand since 2005.  I've met a few power tool manufacturing CEO and Thailand directors. I took the opportunity to tour a few tool assembly plants in Thailand. I look up power tools, garden tools and lawnmowers on my paid online subscription to Consumer Reports .  org and Choice . com   Not every tool sold in Thailand is top rated. Abuse of tools in Thailand comes in many forms and it explains why warranty periods are shorted in developing countries than North America, Australia or Europe. Global House sells some fine brands and one must be aware of their credit card policies. I personally see dozens of name brand power tools and lawn mowers sold in person everyday in Buriram and sold via Lazada and Shopee from the same hardware store. It has served me well to buy brands where the "Thailand Distributor" or "Thailand Importer" values customer service AFTER THE SALE.  There is no end to tool brands which fall short on spare parts really being in stock.  Asgatec is a real "favorite" In 2021 it is far easier to order spare parts online for tool customers in Thailand for brands such as Stanley or DeWALT. Even the largest Makita tools DISTRIBTOR in Thailand has spare parts listed on line for consumers to buy. I prefer to have a trained repairman tell me what parts he needs to order and his expertise to install those parts. I sure steer clear of the no name brands or house brands where after the sales service is terrible to non existent. I buy pet toys at Mr. D.I.Y. but steer clear of the "stool isle".  The STORE that sells you any name brand tool CAN HELP YOU, if they are of the mindset to help customers. If I can present the warranty card, and store receipt the process of a warranty repair goes smooth. In Buriram I have had Garden tools, lawn mowers and power tools repaired locally and I have paid the modest shipping fee to have boxed tool expedited to Bangkok repair service centers when it was not feasible at a regional repair service center. 

Makita Buriram Cordless Hedge trimmer Customer Service January 2021.jpg

Buriram Thailand Honda Self Propelled lawnmower delivery 2021.jpg

Buriram DeWALT Table Wood Saw Thailand January 2021.jpg

Buriram Dewalt 18V 5ah Cordless Drill Saw Repair Service Jan 2021.JPG

Buriram DeWALT Stanley Power Tool Sale January 2021.jpg

Buriram Makita 18V Battery Power Tools Thailand Delivery.jpg

I am not convinced she ever used one of those - or even saw it running.

GirlWithSaw.jpg.f89ecd3214b0ac284b8e5720d523552a.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not convinced she ever used one of those - or even saw it running.

GirlWithSaw.jpg.f89ecd3214b0ac284b8e5720d523552a.jpg

While I would generally agree, you might be surprised. I managed a sheet metal fabricating company here for twenty years and some of my best workers looked much like her. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

While I would generally agree, you might be surprised. I managed a sheet metal fabricating company here for twenty years and some of my best workers looked much like her. 

I was more concerned about the way she told that saw.

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It’s the general western chauvinism showing through. I clearly remember my astonishment when I first arrived here seeing that 40% of building site labourers were women and that in Japan the vast majority of local delivery drivers were female also that many business are run by the women. The west gives lip service to equality, in the Far East it is far more genuine.