Good tool brand in Thailand?

OneMoreFarang

I want to buy some electric power tools. They should have good quality and service in Thailand.

I checked a couple of websites of brands like Bosch, DeWalt, Makita and it seems all of them have just a small part of the products in Thailand compared to the USA or Europe.

Which brands do you use and do you have any experience with the service in Thailand?

In the moment this is a general question not specific to one tool. I think also about battery powered tools and for them it makes a lot of sense to have everything from the same brand with the same battery packs.

I have several tools from the Maktec (Makita) brand and very happy with long standing service.  I see recently that the Maktec brand will be discontinued for "MK" or something like that.  Same as Makita  on the inside but not so sturdy on the shell.

• Like 1

Of the two I would stick with Makita.  Dewalt use to be top but its quality has gone down in recent years particularly its Lithium Ion batteries.  Bosch is also a very good product.  I don't know about the local brands like Pumpkin, or Solo.  I can tell you to stay away from any of the products marketing as King Kong.  They are junk. 

• Like 2

OP, you need to outline what you plan to use tools. My guess is not trade use.

Also most hand tools eg cordless drills etc do not require service. The main item with limited life span is batteries. Even that is more applicable to tradesmen using them all day every. 

Any air tools such as nail guns either air powered from compressor or gas fired guns such as Paslode require maintenance and service.

Don't put big money into hobby. The generic throw away power tools are fine for moderate use. 

• Like 1

Battery powered tools are great as far as they go, but for most of what you are going to do, with the exception of a good drill-driver, AC tools will be cheaper, lighter and faster.

I have Makita, Bosch, Stanley, Ryobi, Pumpkin and they have all been good. 

It's nice if you can actually listen to the tools run before you buy them 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stubuzz said:

How would you rate the Pumpkin stuff?

It is not the lightest and I have no idea on its lifetime used heavily, but the SDS drill I have is as good as any other I’ve used so for my use which is occasional it’s value for money, FWIW I only just found out it has a highly unusual reverse.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Battery powered tools are great as far as they go, but for most of what you are going to do, with the exception of a good drill-driver, AC tools will be cheaper, lighter and faster.

Agreed on most points except that there is no corded impact driver that is half as good as the good battery ones, in fact the only corded impact is half the power of the battery one I have.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I want to buy some electric power tools. They should have good quality and service in Thailand.

I checked a couple of websites of brands like Bosch, DeWalt, Makita and it seems all of them have just a small part of the products in Thailand compared to the USA or Europe.

Which brands do you use and do you have any experience with the service in Thailand?

In the moment this is a general question not specific to one tool. I think also about battery powered tools and for them it makes a lot of sense to have everything from the same brand with the same battery packs.

I would go with Maktec, which is a low price brand made on license from Makita. The advantage is that you will find a good selection of tools, high quality as well as a great price.

Can´t ask for much more, right? New Year came a couple of hours early this year. ????

https://www.powertoolsthailand.com/category/3071/693/maktec

Edited by Dagfinnur Traustason
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dagfinnur Traustason said:

I would go with Maktec, which is a low price brand made on license from Makita

I forgot that I have a Maktec router that is good a cheap router as any, though my Festool OF 1400 is an excellent top end one and worth the difference

FWIW I actually have 5 routers, all different makes, including a 50 year old ELU.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It is not the lightest and I have no idea on its lifetime used heavily, but the SDS drill I have is as good as any other I’ve used so for my use which is occasional it’s value for money, FWIW I only just found out it has a highly unusual reverse.

Agreed on most points except that there is no corded impact driver that is half as good as the good battery ones, in fact the only corded impact is half the power of the battery one I have.

What do you use an impact driver for? 

My impacts are air, but haven’t used them for years.

43 minutes ago, mogandave said:

What do you use an impact driver for? 

My impacts are air, but haven’t used them for years.

The battery one, a Makita DTD145 gets mostly used for running 3” x 12 screws into shark grip plugs for mounting french cleats that support quite heavy items in my workshop. It is a beast and is quite capable of torquing the heads of the No.12 screws DAMHIKT ???? nothing else  I’ve got is capable of running those screws in, it was bought for that job. I also run concrete screws and screws into the very dense cheap wood I use for rough frames. It is also very capable as a general screw driver and for self drilling roofing screws.

I also have an air impact that gets very little use, that if asked I would probably sell, something I almost never do with tools.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The battery one, a Makita DTD145 gets mostly used for running 3” x 12 screws into shark grip plugs for mounting french cleats that support quite heavy items in my workshop. It is a beast and is quite capable of torquing the heads of the No.12 screws DAMHIKT ???? nothing else  I’ve got is capable of running those screws in, it was bought for that job. I also run concrete screws and screws into the very dense cheap wood I use for rough frames. It is also very capable as a general screw driver and for self drilling roofing screws.

I also have an air impact that gets very little use, that if asked I would probably sell, something I almost never do with tools.

I have to admit I had no idea about "french cleats". I just looked it up and I found this one. That looks interesting.

FH18MAY_586_00_006-french-cleat-tool-wal

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have to admit I had no idea about "french cleats". I just looked it up and I found this one. That looks interesting.

FH18MAY_586_00_006-french-cleat-tool-wal

That one is just a fancy tool board, not bad but a little restrictive. Mine has fewer rows but is much longer. I also have some on the sides of cabinets and my workbench. It’s also the mounting method for some wall cabinets.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 8:49 PM, DrJack54 said:

Also most hand tools eg cordless drills etc do not require service. The main item with limited life span is batteries. Even that is more applicable to tradesmen using them all day every. 

Not really. I have a very nice, expensive, drill/driver (about 5 years old) and the battery life has dropped substantially, so budget on replacing batteries when you look at the tool.

Conversely I still have my first Black&Decker drill that’s about 50 years old the only thing it has had is a replacement power cable that is about 3 times longer than the original.

• Confused 1

Bosch has a great selection on battery powered tools and are very good, however the batteries are not the same for all of them.

Check Makita if you want to spend money, not bad at all.

I made very good experiences with Stanley and they are quite affordable. They do repairs in Thailand.

Keep your hands off chinese <deleted>!

Hi OneMoreFarang,

Perhaps it is wise to select each power tool on its own merits but notwithstanding that it is of a reputable brand ;

Likely to be the situation that :

Brand X is better than all the other Brands for GOOD + CHEAP particular Battery-powered Power Tool

Brand Y is better than all the other Brands for GOOD + CHEAP a different particular Battery-powered Power Tool

Re ; Battery-powered Impact Drivers

Berala as a Brand was highly recommended to me by an excellent Thai technician who worked in the R & D department of a major motor vehicle plant ;

He told me that his Berala has lasted for years of daily frequent robust use,

incl.

removing wheels from hubs

I note that the Berala 98Volt DTW-285 or DTW285 models on Lazada.co.th are only in choice of :

3/8 Inch Male Drive

or

1/2 Inch Male Drive

Personally,- I prefer to get a 3/4 Inch Male Drive ;

Because,- most of the Impact Drive Sockets available in retail shops are of 3/4 Inch Female Drive

Prices start from approx. THB 1,600

As expected ;

2 Batteries supplied free with the tool ;

All fit into a supplied free plastic carry-box with integrated handle.

I am a touch concerned about the genuineness of products for sale on internet platforms though.

Regards,

Our Man in the Tropics

Edited by Our Man in the Tropics

Most of mine are Makita with a Bosch 1/2" hammer drill and a couple of other tool.

What has surprised me is how long a cheap Chinese made Clinton brand (yepp bought when he was in office) hammer drill is still going. I passed it out to the village years ago and brother in law is still using it.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 7:05 PM, Kwasaki said:

The cheapest from Global house I'm not going into business. ????

Er. A friend has to borrow my old Black and Decker hammer drill to drill into hard concrete because the Asian brand he bought here was woefully underpowered. Exterior walls in good housing developments like mine are within spec. 

I have a workshop full of tools and have used almost every brand I can find.

Here is my two satang,  

#1 best tools you can buy in Thailand = Milwaukee  (not mentioned on this thread yet, so I suggest you check them out)

#2 Bosch

1 hour ago, Speedhump said:

Er. A friend has to borrow my old Black and Decker hammer drill to drill into hard concrete because the Asian brand he bought here was woefully underpowered. Exterior walls in good housing developments like mine are within spec. 

Well Er !! Black & Decker were consider rubbish in UK.

I found them OK and and you can get hammer drills in global house cheap just as good not underpowered at all just as good as black & decker.