Question about ATM , stolen money

2 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Call the police, file a report.

If you recover the money, or even learn of who used the card, then that's gravy.

In the end, you may have to simply cut your losses.

P.S. You may also have to slap your wife across the head. But that action may land you in jail.

damn you can’t tell me the bank can’t tell me who stole the money?

i thought on every atm there is a camera ????????????????

nah it was 40k baht ???????? I told her before not to put it on the card the pin..... how hard is it to remember the 6 digit ????????????

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are you sure she did not spend the money or give it to someone as a payment.  Is she now saying she lost the card in order to appease you since you possibly asked her where the money had gone. First things first is to contact the bank and ensure tge card gets canceled, then if it can be shown that it was a fraudulent act file a police report and have the bank investigate as well, you might get lucky. Does she also have a phone app for the bank. If so next time set everything at zero baht for Atm, payments and purchases. Then when she goes to get money she ups the limit on the app, takes the money out and then resets the limits back to zero. If she looses the card again they can not get money from the account.  First contact the bank.

She might have to tape the instructions on the card, next to the pin...sounds complicated

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

Even with smartphones, they do not seem to know that you could save it as a phone number. The story doesn't sound true, but who knows.

If I were you, I'd find out where the transactions were made. Her brother might have a new bike now. 

Not me....don't confuse me with OP...

• Thanks 1

This brings back memories as years ago I had money taken from my account via atm withdrawal but my local thai bank manager kindly showed me the atm cam photo of my ex wife withdrawing the money using my card lol which she also stole ah the memories lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, luckywooman said:

Hi I wanted to ask if the Thai police would help you find the person that stole from my wife’s ATM card.

she lost the card and had her pin stuck on it????

should be easy right? All A have csmeras

Well my wife told me that , she tape on back of card , she say she lose on bus , Geezus  , I find out later she give her. Friend to extract it fraudulently Max amount daily 15,000 b   so her face not on camera so she give her 200 b to extract each day 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wtfracing said:

This brings back memories as years ago I had money taken from my account via atm withdrawal but my local thai bank manager kindly showed me the atm cam photo of my ex wife withdrawing the money using my card lol which she also stole ah the memories lol

if you were still married at that time, pretty sure it is CRIMELESS as spouses can STEAL from each other, not fine

1 hour ago, wtfracing said:

so you can get the bank to tell you who stole the money right? I already canceled the card, and they told me to go yesterday to the police to file a report.

How things go from here? Any advise what to do?

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Your confused, why?

Many many Thai ladies claim this man is my brother, when in fact it is probably her former husband and she tells him card numbers etc.

A few years ago, i knew an Englishman, who married a lady in Buriram, she claimed she had 1 daughter, but in fact had 3 children.

Her English husband went back working in the UK, his wife moved her ex back into the house, when her English husband was due to visit, Thai ex husband moved out until English man left.

Sometimes both men met, Thai man was introduced as her brother.

Ur so rigth.Been there done that.My exwife from surin even get pregnant with her socalled "uncle".We have 2 kids so i DNA tested both here in norway.Im happy that i was the father.The last kid she made in a holiday in thailand for 3 months.Anyway i had plan to divorce her allready..so it was actually a relief.Shes now remarried here in norway and everybody is happy.

• Like 1

I will not get into the trust issues like others?  but first have you gone to the bank and put a lock on the account by obtaining another card with a different set of numbers. 

Since she can't remember 6 numbers maybe think about not issuing a card but make her go into the bank and get the money!

The money is gone the question now are you going to reward her for the lost?

1 hour ago, luckywooman said:

so you can get the bank to tell you who stole the money right? I already canceled the card, and they told me to go yesterday to the police to file a report.

File a Police report. From there take the copy of the Police report to the Bank. 

Provide the bank with the date and time of the transaction and they should be able to isolate the specific ATM location from which the money was fraudulently withdrawn. 

Its is then up to the bank how to proceed. The best they will be able to achieve is to obtain a photograph of whoever use the ATM to withdraw the cash at that specific time. This will obviously not be an identity, just a Photo. 

This photo can be provided to the police along with the ATM location. It is then up to the Police to decide if they want to pursue the case which will likely involve a little investigative work, asking locals in the vicinity of the ATM if they recognise the person on the ATM picture etc.

Once the thief is caught they may not be able to repay the money anyway. The police may or many not wish to press charges against the thief. 

-------

Finally - Remove all bank cards and credit cards from Wife's Wallet / Purse. 

She can use Cardless withdrawals !

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are you sure she did not spend the money or give it to someone as a payment.  Is she now saying she lost the card in order to appease you since you possibly asked her where the money had gone. First things first is to contact the bank and ensure tge card gets canceled, then if it can be shown that it was a fraudulent act file a police report and have the bank investigate as well, you might get lucky. Does she also have a phone app for the bank. If so next time set everything at zero baht for Atm, payments and purchases. Then when she goes to get money she ups the limit on the app, takes the money out and then resets the limits back to zero. If she looses the card again they can not get money from the account.  First contact the bank.

Easier option than that: Don’t use the card at all (leave it in the safe at home or *destroy it)

Just use mBanking (phone app) for Cardless withdrawal at the Banks ATM. 

(*destroy it because it seems the Ops wife may be stringing him along).

14 hours ago, luckywooman said:

it was 40k baht ????????

Always keep your ATM account balance low, unless you need to use it quickly. Keep the balance small, if 40,000 is a great amount to you. Transfer when you need to use it.

Edited by The Theory

6 hours ago, luckywooman said:

Ask the bank if they can show you a picture or video from the ATM camera from when the money was taken from the ATM. But if not your wife have taken the money then the bank will not pay you back the money because the pin code was on the card.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

File a Police report. From there take the copy of the Police report to the Bank. 

Provide the bank with the date and time of the transaction and they should be able to isolate the specific ATM location from which the money was fraudulently withdrawn. 

Its is then up to the bank how to proceed. The best they will be able to achieve is to obtain a photograph of whoever use the ATM to withdraw the cash at that specific time. This will obviously not be an identity, just a Photo. 

This photo can be provided to the police along with the ATM location. It is then up to the Police to decide if they want to pursue the case which will likely involve a little investigative work, asking locals in the vicinity of the ATM if they recognise the person on the ATM picture etc.

Once the thief is caught they may not be able to repay the money anyway. The police may or many not wish to press charges against the thief. 

-------

Finally - Remove all bank cards and credit cards from Wife's Wallet / Purse. 

She can use Cardless withdrawals !

will the bank show me the atm footage?