Reason why Thailand Post prices are way up

Pravda

Well just went to DHL to ship me something and my wife talked to DHL staff who said that they are basically haldling all Thailand Post international shipments. 

So there you have it. Maybe when Thai Airways starts flying again they'll lower the prices again. 

Probably not. 

• Haha 1

Cargo and postal rates are up, by about 100%, all over the world now.  My company makes huge and constant shipments, and we get hit with the "advanced" or Covid rates.  Sending a letter is not like before either.  And if you used to buy from Amazon, you may be amazed at what it now costs to ship identical orders to yourself in Thailand, or elsewhere.

Posted a letter on 28th Dec to UK which arrived 6th Jan. Price was as expected so no price increases here as far as I can see. Posted Christmas cards beginning of Dec that arrived 23rd and again normal price. 

1 hour ago, worrab said:

Posted a letter on 28th Dec to UK which arrived 6th Jan. Price was as expected so no price increases here as far as I can see. Posted Christmas cards beginning of Dec that arrived 23rd and again normal price. 

In Europe I saw announcement of post office that new prices came in effect on January 1. So maybe you just avoided it by sending a week early. But you can try now and you'll see about double the price.

Recently I spoke with the postman who brings the post.

He's scared to lost his job because rumours are there the Post in Thailand was going to shrink, what he say there are much les parcels and letters than before ans there is fierce competition from companys like Kerry.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

He's scared to lost his job because rumours are there the Post in Thailand was going to shrink, what he say there are much les parcels and letters than before ans there is fierce competition from companys like Kerry.

Agreed, the vast increase in online shopping and the rise and explosion in courier type delivery services has rung the death bell for traditional Postal services as they were.

Wouldnt surprise me if in the very long term the Post Office as we once knew it is passed almost entirely to to courier services. Our main Post Office staff have repeatedly commented on how quiet they are as a result of Kerry and others.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

In Europe I saw announcement of post office that new prices came in effect on January 1. So maybe you just avoided it by sending a week early. But you can try now and you'll see about double the price.

Sent a card on 4th Jan and still no difference in price.

Interesting. In translation, Slovenian Post jacked up prices by over 100%, stating that they are "forced to" do that, as if they keep prices as they are, given international post price increases, their packages could be returned for insufficient payment. The envelopes that had only sheets of paper in them didn't increase much, but anything that was "anything other than paper" has increased tremendously.

I've also bailed out of purchase of some cabling from Korea, after seller on eBay didn't process the package before new year, and contacted me on 4 January, with Korea post changes in prices, increasing shipping cost from 300 something baht to over 2000 baht.

So maybe just on paper/card, no difference. But if you send anything else, you might be in for a shock.

On 1/7/2021 at 1:02 PM, CharlieH said:

Could also explain why the post of parcels seems better and quicker. The reduction and therefore use of passenger planes and particularly Thai Airways probably left them little choice.

Sent a parcel overseas in November. Post office site showed it arrived BKK airport 3 days later. The site still shows the parcel is at the airport now. Called the post office a couple of days ago to ask if I can go collect it from the airport. Answer was that it's not at the airport, but they have no idea where it is. They're investigating and will let me know as soon as they know what happened to it....

• Confused 1

On 1/8/2021 at 2:31 PM, Peterphuket said:

Same here in Ubon.

Our postie now has half the load compared to last year.

Best Express, Kerry etc have cleaned up here and they're cheap.