MorChana app will not reveal personal info, promises DES minister

webfact

17 hours ago, webfact said:

He said the MorChana app was an option for people with smartphones, adding that those who don’t have a smartphone can still record their movements so the relevant agency can key it into the system.

So it is optional? Using the app also requires that you have data roaming I believe. I don't have data roaming because it allows companies to load things into my 'phone which cost me money and/or a lot of trouble to stop. Aside from that, the man who says my personal data is safe is.....a politician. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

For those who don't want to install MorChana in order to read them, here are the Ts&Cs.

If you are happy with the government collecting and storing such data for the duration of the pandemic (in other words forever) go ahead and install it, otherwise stick with the less invasive ThaiChana app.

morchana 1.jpg

morchana 2.jpg

morchana 3.jpg

morchana 4.jpg

morchana 5.jpg

1 ThaiChana and MorChana are different. As has been pointed out a million times you don't need to download ThaiChana as an app. You simply need a QR code scanner. But to suggest it's an alternative option to MorChana is basically completely wrong.

2 If you have a smartphone, I don't think you have much choice in whether you download MorChana. You are obliged by law to do so, and have it installed and working.

Sorry, but people scream about how useless governments are at fighting this thing, yet aren't prepared to do anything themselves to help. As somebody else pointed out, if you've lived here for any length of time, you will already have handed over probably far more data on yourself than this app requests. But because it's digital, and input is required, people go into shock horror overdrive and ridiculous moral outrage. 1984? Give me a break!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 5

Apparently, according to a very recent news article, it is no longer mandatory to have the app installed.

"Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday urged people to download onto their smartphone a Covid-19 contact-tracing app called "Mor Chana". However, there would be no punishments for those who do not download it, so long as they inform officials of their travel plans when crossing provincial borders."

(Bangkok Post - 8 Jan) (Not sure if I can link a BP story.)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Please point at said law.

"Its use is stipulated under regulation number 17 newly issued under the executive decree for public administration in emergency situations, imposed to control Covid-19."
https://www.chiangraitimes.com/thailand-national-news/news-asia-thailand/morchana-location-tracking-app-now-required-in-5-thailand-provinces/

(They copied the article from the Bangkok Post.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I see the BKK Post article now, good that there's a link to an outlet we can quote.

We're not in affected province, at least not yet.

Of course the same article quotes the PM (on Thursday) "Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha on Thursday also urged people to download and use the app,  but said there would no penalty for not doing so. So long as people inform officials of their travel plans when crossing provincial borders in Thailand."

My bold.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Thanks for that.

I'm big enough to eat my earlier words. It's (at least today) required by law in five provinces Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Trat, Rayong and Samut Sakhon.

Coming soon to a location near you ????

Yeah but literally minutes after they said it was "law" they rescinded it (due to a huge outcry from Thai people). Now you are just "encouraged" to use it (unless you know you have the disease and decide to travel around and conceal your movements).

• Like 1

I can't find those "regulations" either. Been searching various links and news articles and the CCSA website (what little of it there is) and the PR Thai Government facebook page and all they do is reference the regulations.

24 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Thanks for that.

I'm big enough to eat my earlier words. It's (at least today) required by law in five provinces Chanthaburi, Chon Buri, Trat, Rayong and Samut Sakhon.

Coming soon to a location near you ????

'I'm big enough to eat my earlier words'    Why, have you been using caps lock again Crossy?
(sorry!)

• Haha 1