British Passport Renewal Bangkok

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

Any update on how long it's taking between the date of application and when you get your renewed British passport?

It took me about 4 weeks from the date of ‘submission’ of the application to receiving notification to collect my passport from VFS. 

Note: I had to wait about 10 days for an appointment to submit the application (after e-mailing VFS for the appointment) 

• Like 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

It took me about 4 weeks from the date of ‘submission’ of the application to receiving notification to collect my passport from VFS. 

Note: I had to wait about 10 days for an appointment to submit the application (after e-mailing VFS for the appointment) 

Was this during the current lockdown in the UK? I was told 4 weeks by VFS but warned it could take up to 8 weeks.

31 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Was this during the current lockdown in the UK? I was told 4 weeks by VFS but warned it could take up to 8 weeks.

This was late October / November...  

I received the following e-mail from HMPO advising to allow for 8 weeks (it took 4).

[We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks.]

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, richard_smith237 said:

1. As I said - on my initial post here - I went for my appointment at VFS on the 6th of January.

2. VFS emailed me on the 14th of January informing me that my passport had been forwarded to HMPO on that day.

My credit card was billed for 4.996.48 baht on the 12th of January (transaction date). 118.41 pounds was the amount for a standard passport + "courier fee", which works out to an exchange rate of just over 42.15 baht to the pound. The exchange rates if you did an electronic transfer from HSBC UK on that day were 40.35 buying and 38.95 selling, so VFS Global are milking over 210 baht on every passport/courier charge.

3. I expect the reason VFS Global held on to my passport was so they had accumulated sufficient passports to make another hefty profit on the "courier fee".

4. As I also previously posted, I received this by e-mail on the from HMPO on the 21st of January: "

"We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks."

5. Nothing further to report... and apologies for the cynicism.

3 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

My credit card was billed for 4.996.48 baht on the 12th of January (transaction date). 118.41 pounds was the amount for a standard passport + "courier fee", which works out to an exchange rate of just over 42.15 baht to the pound. The exchange rates if you did an electronic transfer from HSBC UK on that day were 40.35 buying and 38.95 selling, so VFS Global are milking over 210 baht on every passport/courier charge.

The exchange rates charged for government services requested by UK citizens abroad have always irritated me. Note, though, that this is nothing to do with VFS. It is the UK authorities themselves that benefit.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The exchange rates charged for government services requested by UK citizens abroad have always irritated me. Note, though, that this is nothing to do with VFS. It is the UK authorities themselves that benefit.

I can't see how. The UK authorities don't do any foreign exchange - they simply deduct the amount in GBP and the credit or debit card company does the conversion, which typically includes a 2.75% fee with Thai banks. Complain to them or use a UK card.

5 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

1. As I said - on my initial post here - I went for my appointment at VFS on the 6th of January.

2. VFS emailed me on the 14th of January informing me that my passport had been forwarded to HMPO on that day.

3. I expect the reason VFS Global held on to my passport was so they had accumulated sufficient passports to make another hefty profit on the "courier fee".

4. As I also previously posted, I received this by e-mail on the from HMPO on the 21st of January: "

"We are sorry that it is taking longer than usual to process your application due to COVID-19. If we don’t need any further information to progress your application, you should receive your passport within 8 weeks."

Your Thai bank is milking you, not VFS.

I haven't received any email from VFS but the money was deducted in the middle of January. I hope I get my new passpor before my visa expires at the end of this month but it doesn't sound good.

Edited by edwardandtubs

13 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

The exchange rates if you did an electronic transfer from HSBC UK on that day were 40.35 buying and 38.95 selling, so VFS Global are milking over 210 baht on every passport/courier charge.

That was done in the passport office in the UK not VFS.

I think date you quoted for the email that said it had been sent was one stating it had been approved and was not from VFS.

13 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Your Thai bank is milking you, not VFS.

I haven't received any email from VFS but the money was deducted in the middle of January. I hope I get my new passpor before my visa expires at the end of this month but it doesn't sound good.

I am in a similar position in having submitted my UK passport application mid Jan (email to me on 14Jan confirming sent to HMPO) at VFS Bangkok and still awaiting the new one to arrive. However I have a bit more leeway on my extension renewal date - early May.

What has just irked me is the poster, located in Chonburi, on another topic indicating that their application had been sent to a UK contact for direct submission in the UK. The new passport had been issued in 8 working days!!

No issue with that poster being 'economical with the truth' when signing off on the application, their choice, but the take away that, despite overseas applicants being charged more for the processing (VFS fee element no doubt) and, for those based in Thailand (and elsewhere), there usually being a need for a reasonable turnaround to fit in with visa / extension renewal deadlines, our applications seemingly go to the end of a far longer queue..

As seen, HMPO can clearly perform at a rapid rate (covid notwithstanding) but, seemingly, that only extends to UK applicants where such speed may not be of such importance. If a fast renewal is required there are fast track options in the UK which are not available to those considered as 2nd class citizens.

Rant over.........

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dabhand said:

I am in a similar position in having submitted my UK passport application mid Jan (email to me on 14Jan confirming sent to HMPO) at VFS Bangkok and still awaiting the new one to arrive. However I have a bit more leeway on my extension renewal date - early May.

What has just irked me is the poster, located in Chonburi, on another topic indicating that their application had been sent to a UK contact for direct submission in the UK. The new passport had been issued in 8 working days!!

No issue with that poster being 'economical with the truth' when signing off on the application, their choice, but the take away that, despite overseas applicants being charged more for the processing (VFS fee element no doubt) and, for those based in Thailand (and elsewhere), there usually being a need for a reasonable turnaround to fit in with visa / extension renewal deadlines, our applications seemingly go to the end of a far longer queue..

As seen, HMPO can clearly perform at a rapid rate (covid notwithstanding) but, seemingly, that only extends to UK applicants where such speed may not be of such importance. If a fast renewal is required there are fast track options in the UK which are not available to those considered as 2nd class citizens.

Rant over.........

Your rant is thoroughly understandable and commendable IMHO. Not content with inflicting the bureaucratic rigours of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience on us poor Brits living in LOS, HMPO now seem determined to rub salt into the wound by prioritising those applying from the UK over us!

FYI a pal of mine who lives in the UK recently renewed his passport, and he, too, received his new passport after about 8 days!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That was done in the passport office in the UK not VFS.

I think date you quoted for the email that said it had been sent was one stating it had been approved and was not from VFS.

Dates were correct; that is why I put them in Bold, but never mind.

On 2/18/2021 at 4:53 PM, safarimike11 said:

Dates were correct; that is why I put them in Bold, but never mind.

Received an email this afternoon from VFS Global saying that my passport has arrived: "An appointment is not required for passport collection. We are opening from Monday and Wednesday (except public holiday) from 13.00 -14.00hours." (If anyone is able to decipher this it would be greatly appreciated).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

Received an email this afternoon from VFS Global saying that my passport has arrived: "An appointment is not required for passport collection. We are opening from Monday and Wednesday (except public holiday) from 13.00 -14.00hours." (If anyone is able to decipher this it would be greatly appreciated).

No problem; it is Monday today so I'll go on Wednesday - to be sure.

On 2/22/2021 at 7:11 PM, safarimike11 said:

Thanks for the update. So 7 weeks in total, which means I'm not going to have my passport in time to get my visa extended by 28 February. I wrote a note explaining that on the application form but the miserable paper pushers

couldn't expedite it by a few days. 

Definitely applying online and getting it sent to friends or family in the UK is the way to do it. No benefit at all to using VFS.

Edited by edwardandtubs

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks for the update. So 7 weeks in total, which means I'm not going to have my passport in time to get my visa extended by 28 February. I wrote a note explaining that on the application form but the miserable paper pushers

Definitely applying online and getting it sent to friends or family in the UK is the way to do it. No benefit at all to using VFS.

Just received an email from VFS that my new UK passport arrived today and is ready for collection.

Seems the floodgates may have opened. Best of luck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Okay (Wednesday 24th Feb.) I've just got back from collecting my new passport:

1. Advisory from VFS Global (dated 22nd Feb. 2021) should have read: We are open on Monday and Wednesday (except public holiday) from 13.00 -14.00hours.

2. The Date of Issue on my new passport is 16th February 2021; the expiry date of the old passport was 26th April 2021, so the 3 months I allowed was a wise move.

3. If you park in the Trendy multi story car park (go to level 5), make sure you stay under 1/2 hour - then it is free; otherwise it is 200 baht.

2 hours ago, dabhand said:

Just received an email from VFS that my new UK passport arrived today and is ready for collection.

Seems the floodgates may have opened. Best of luck.

I got that one too but now we have to wait until Monday to collect it.

To be fair to HMPO they did get it done before the date I requested even though it took them 6 weeks. But VFS only being open on Monday and Wednesday is just not good enough.

Ignore Richard "just trying to help" Barrow. For 99% of people it would be cheaper, quicker and easier to apply online direct to HMPO and use the address of a friend or family member. Only the 1% of people who have burnt all their bridges in the UK need to use VFS.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, edwardandtubs said:

I got that one too but now we have to wait until Monday to collect it.

To be fair to HMPO they did get it done before the date I requested even though it took them 6 weeks. But VFS only being open on Monday and Wednesday is just not good enough.

Ignore Richard "just trying to help" Barrow. For 99% of people it would be cheaper, quicker and easier to apply online direct to HMPO and use the address of a friend or family member. Only the 1% of people who have burnt all their bridges in the UK need to use VFS.

Yes, totally agree; both times I visited VFS there were exactly 3 people seated waiting, but I was directed to a window straight away.

You either didn't mention the type of visa you are on or I missed it, but being as the 28th February is on a Sunday, this will probably mean that you will be 2 days (or 3) over - based on the fact that you probably won't be able to renew your visa on the Monday.

I remember a few years ago that my annual "retirement extension" was up on a certain day - which happened to be a Sunday - and so I left it till the Monday... and got a 1,000 bill for the missed day and the renewal date moved up a day. However, last year when I was due to renew it, the renewal date fell on a Saturday, so I went in on the preceding Wednesday and it was done the next day - so the next renewal date will 2 days earlier this year.

11 hours ago, safarimike11 said:

I remember a few years ago that my annual "retirement extension" was up on a certain day - which happened to be a Sunday - and so I left it till the Monday... and got a 1,000 bill for the missed day and the renewal date moved up a day. However, last year when I was due to renew it, the renewal date fell on a Saturday, so I went in on the preceding Wednesday and it was done the next day - so the next renewal date will 2 days earlier this year.

That is not exactly correct info. If your permit to stay ends when immigration is closed you can go to immigration on the first day they are open and you will not be fined for an overstay. If you go after the first day they are open you would have to pay 500 baht per day fine for everyday.

When you apply for a extension of stay and do it early that does not change the date your extension ends. It will still start from the day your current extension ends.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not exactly correct info. If your permit to stay ends when immigration is closed you can go to immigration on the first day they are open and you will not be fined for an overstay. If you go after the first day they are open you would have to pay 500 baht per day fine for everyday.

When you apply for a extension of stay and do it early that does not change the date your extension ends. It will still start from the day your current extension ends.

As the old saying goes, it is not often you are right but you are wrong again.

14 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

14 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

Check out the B side of Ian Dury and the Blockheads 1978 single: that's you.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, safarimike11 said:

What I wrote is certainly correct since many people have done it. They cannot fine you 500 baht per day if the office is closed on the day your extension ends.

I have applied for many extensions early and it did not change the date it was ending.

16 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

For 99% of people it would be cheaper, quicker and easier to apply online direct to HMPO and use the address of a friend or family member. Only the 1% of people who have burnt all their bridges in the UK need to use VFS.

IMHO it would be cheaper, quicker and easier for 100% of people to apply online direct to HMPO from Thailand. Instead HMPO have, in their infinite wisdom, decided to inflict totally antediluvian procedures on us which IMHO are completely incompatible with the present digital age, not least because they in part rely on delivery "technologies" which predate the introduction of the Penny Black in 1840 (in the case of the 2 compulsory route marches to a VFS office in Bangkok or Chiang Mai).

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

What I wrote is certainly correct since many people have done it. They cannot fine you 500 baht per day if the office is closed on the day your extension ends.

I have applied for many extensions early and it did not change the date it was ending.

Okay, I am not here to argue; I started this blog to try and assist people in renewing their passport in Bangkok: you can have the last word.

On 2/17/2021 at 6:11 PM, safarimike11 said:

Why didn't you use a UK bank card?

British Citizen, British passport - logical to transact in Sterling.

Nothing to do with VfS, HMPO handle the card transaction in Liverpool.

48 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

Is the - [email protected] - email address still the one to use?

I emailed them a few times to book an appointment to renew my daughter's passport but never get any reply.

Yes.... [email protected]    is correct.

I emailed them last week for an appointment and still waiting for a response.  They seem a little slower than previously reported in this thread e.g. response same day.