Supplemented my throw away health insurance policy.

I went to www.insubuy.com a Texas based company.  Purchased the Atlas International policy.  49 days for 154 USD.  250K in coverage, 500 deductible, direct payment to many Thai hospitals.  Can extend up to 364 days.  Availability will depend on citizenship and residency.  It is easier for US Citizens, but will still work for most.  It asked date of departure.. I was able to enter the date from October 2019 that I last left the US. So in my case, it was OK that my trip had already started. Simple questionnaire.. YMMV. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Is that 250k baht or dollars?

You need 3.3 million baht in coverage for the covid 19 insurance.

It is a US based policy and coverage is in US dollars. Have a choice of anywhere from US 50k to US 2 million cover, option of no deductible or deductible of anywhere form US $100 to US $5000. Can get coverage for up to 12 months.

Does nto appear to have an age limit. However over age 80 will nto cover anything related to a pre-existing condition. Below age 65 will cover an acute exacerbation (sudden worsening) related to a pre-existing condition in full. Ages 65-79  will cover up to 100K for acute events related to underlying pre-existing condition.

they are underwritten by Lloyd's and administered by Tokio Marine. Looks like a solid policy.

But note that it is travel insurance which means only emergencies/urgent problems that can't wait will be covered and the insurer has the option of transporting you back home vs treatment locally. So works fine for temporary trips but not a good option for someone who has compketely left their home country and plans to stay in Thailand permanently.

51 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It is a US based policy and coverage is in US dollars. Have a choice of anywhere from US 50k to US 2 million cover, option of no deductible or deductible of anywhere form US $100 to US $5000. Can get coverage for up to 12 months.

Does nto appear to have an age limit. However over age 80 will nto cover anything related to a pre-existing condition. Below age 65 will cover an acute exacerbation (sudden worsening) related to a pre-existing condition in full. Ages 65-79  will cover up to 100K for acute events related to underlying pre-existing condition.

they are underwritten by Lloyd's and administered by Tokio Marine. Looks like a solid policy.

But note that it is travel insurance which means only emergencies/urgent problems that can't wait will be covered and the insurer has the option of transporting you back home vs treatment locally. So works fine for temporary trips but not a good option for someone who has compketely left their home country and plans to stay in Thailand permanently.

Cost similar to the PaCross policy that had a 20k thb deductible and 800k thb in coverage, that also has a list of restrictions.  The Cigna global plan is better, but quite a bit more expensive. 

You can also buy the Tokio marine policy direct from them www.hccmis.com, but cost is identical. 

36 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

Thanks for sharing this useful information. I'm not sure what value a 49 day policy will have if it's intended to be used at Thailand Immigration. Maybe this is for a STV for return entry to Thailand? Thanks in advance. 

It is to supplement my policy for immigration that covers me as well as a 48mm condom, commonly referred to as the Throw Away Policy.  If you need a policy that will get you a visa, then that will vary by embassy/consulate. 

3 hours ago, PGSan said:

Can it be used by us non-US types when temporarily visiting the USA?

This is worthless in the US, that minimizes the cost.  I also go to insubuy for my policies for visits to the US, which would be almost the same for a non US citizen. 

19 hours ago, PGSan said:

Can it be used by us non-US types when temporarily visiting the USA?

If you mean the Atlas insurance, certainly. There are also other policies available for this e.g. IMGlobal   visitor policies

For US insurance make sure the coverage is for at least US 500k, preferrably 1  million

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

If you mean the Atlas insurance, certainly. There are also other policies available for this e.g. IMGlobal   visitor policies

For US insurance make sure the coverage is for at least US 500k, preferrably 1  million

For us citizens, you get 15 days of us coverage but you must buy at least 90 days.  Non US citizen it is 30 days on a 90 day policy.  So my 49 day policy is, as stated, worthless in the US.  However, if I sustained an injury in Thailand on day 19..that starts a 90 day benefit period on that injury, that would go 60 days beyond the policy expiration, and also allow me to get treated in the US... 

Screenshot_20210114-131527.png

4 minutes ago, moontang said:

For us citizens, you get 15 days of us coverage but you must buy at least 90 days.  Non US citizen it is 30 days on a 90 day policy.  So my 49 day policy is, as stated, worthless in the US.  However, if I sustained an injury in Thailand on day 19..that starts a 90 day benefit period on that injury, that would go 60 days beyond the policy expiration, and also allow me to get treated in the US... 

Screenshot_20210114-131527.png

I think he was asking about non-US citizens visiting the US.  "us non-US types when temporarily visiting the USA"

No restriction there, it is what the policy is designed for

The restructions have to do with use in your own country

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

I think he was asking about non-US citizens visiting the US.  "us non-US types when temporarily visiting the USA"

No restriction there, it is what the policy is designed for

The restructions have to do with use in your own country

That is a different, more expensive policy.  This is definitely NOT the policy anyone would get for visiting the US. 

Archived