Australia contributes over AUD$100 million for mine clearance in Cambodia in nearly 3 decades

geovalin

Since 1994, Australia has contributed more than AUD100 million to demining activities in Cambodia, according to the Embassy of Australia in Phnom Penh. The figure was revealed at the annual board meeting of the Clearing for Results Project held here recently under the presidency of Senior Minister and First Vice President of Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA)  Ly Thuch.

This year, the Australian Government will provide additional contribution of AUD1 million to further assist Cambodia’s demining efforts, announced acting Deputy Head of Mission, H.E. David Bloch at the meeting. This funding will help increase the area that can be clear of landmines, making the lives of Cambodians safer and releasing land for productive use to support Cambodia’s COVID-19 economic recovery, underlined the embassy.

Donor community and development partners including the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), Australia, and New Zealand have lauded highly of Cambodia’s commitment to achieve the Kingdom’s goal of become a mine-free nation by 2030.

READ MORE https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50802766/australia-contributes-over-aud100-million-for-mine-clearance-in-cambodia-in-nearly-3-decades/

• Like 1

6 hours ago, geovalin said:

Since 1994, Australia has contributed more than AUD100 million to demining activities in Cambodia, according to the Embassy of Australia in Phnom Penh. The figure was revealed at the annual board meeting of the Clearing for Results Project held here recently under the presidency of Senior Minister and First Vice President of Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA)  Ly Thuch.

This year, the Australian Government will provide additional contribution of AUD1 million to further assist Cambodia’s demining efforts, announced acting Deputy Head of Mission, H.E. David Bloch at the meeting. This funding will help increase the area that can be clear of landmines, making the lives of Cambodians safer and releasing land for productive use to support Cambodia’s COVID-19 economic recovery, underlined the embassy.

Donor community and development partners including the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), the Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), Australia, and New Zealand have lauded highly of Cambodia’s commitment to achieve the Kingdom’s goal of become a mine-free nation by 2030.

READ MORE https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50802766/australia-contributes-over-aud100-million-for-mine-clearance-in-cambodia-in-nearly-3-decades/

Australia and New Zealand are always there when countries need help, and there's no debt-trap. They just give the money!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And that's enough for Cambodia IMO. No aid for countries wiwith racist and discriminatory policies towards citizens of the donating country. If you've got dual pricing then you should get nothing.

$100 mln. Must be some of that in Hun Sen's $500,000 watch.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Well, since we were part of the US coalition that secretly bombed and killed a heap of them and their kids, grandmothers, babies, sisters, their houses and businesses, motorbikes, farms etc that is probably the least we can do for them. 

The bombings became public knowledge in 1973, after which they were stopped. The United States dropped upwards of 2.7 million tons of bombs on Cambodia, exceeding the amount it had dropped on Japan during WWII (including Hiroshima and Nagasaki) by almost a million tons.

https://rabble.ca/toolkit/on-this-day/us-secret-bombing-cambodia

Mines are laid close to areas of civilian activity by the Burmese army. Mines are allegedly used by the army to dissuade people from returning to their native villages after a forced eviction during counter-insurgency campaigns.

Edited by kevvy