Parent visa - do they exist

Hi

There is a small possibility i may be moving to Bangkok towards the end of 2021, and putting my daughter in private school for circa 6 years minimum until GCSE's are finished.

She was born in Thailand thus has citizenship, i'm British.

I got a response back from the Thai  Embassy stating -

Based on your information, you may be eligible to apply for a Non-Immigrant O (family) visa. Initially, it will be granted for 90 days, single entry. However, you will be able to extend it when you are in Bangkok, at your local Immigration Office.

Now it is the "Initially, it will be granted for 90 days" comment that is of interest.

Would i be reliant on the goodwill of the staff at the immigration dept. for extending this, dozens of times for the 6 years ... or is it possible to get something long term to avoid living under the worry of is the person at immigration going to be an <deleted> and not extend it. 

As long as your Daughter enters on Her Thai passport, you would just have to enter on the 90 Day Non-O, and apply for 6 x 1 year extensions I would think, you could get a multi entry permit on each extension if required.

You would also have to watch the renewal date of your Daughters Thai Passport, as they only last 5 years and normally need both parents to attend for renewals. (?)

Elite Visa 600K baht for 5 years + 1 further year extension?

Edited by UKresonant

1 minute ago, Upnotover said:

You will be able to get a 12 month extension of stay after the initial 90 day visa entry.  You will need to meet the financial requirements.  This extension can be renewed annually.  See also this thread;

Thanks thats about £10k which is no problem as school costs about twice that amount.

Next question is obviously do they always extend after 1 year?

I've sole custody of my kid, hence worried about going there and not getting visa extended in 2/3/4/5 years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

As long as your Daughter enters on Her Thai passport, you would just have to enter on the 90 Day Non-O, and apply for 6 x 1 year extensions I would think, you could get a multi entry permit on each extension if required.

Elite Visa 600K baht for 5 years + 1 further year extension?

Thanks, so worst case scenario financially speaking is to stump up £15k ish for a 5 year visa. (a lot for me after school fees)

3 minutes ago, ffaarraanngg said:

Thanks thats about £10k which is no problem as school costs about twice that amount.

Next question is obviously do they always extend after 1 year?

I've sole custody of my kid, hence worried about going there and not getting visa extended in 2/3/4/5 years.

Yes it's about £10k but it only has to make a short annual appearance and it stays your money.  There is no reason at all why the extension wouldn't be renewed provided she continues to live with you and doesn't pass 20.  And certainly no reason to pay for an elite visa.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If your sole custody papers are British, maybe need legalized before going? or schedule your Daughters passport renewal when back in the UK? 

I've went the other way, as the Son is in the UK for his High School, looking forward to renewing his UK passport, online in a couple of years, rather than the trek down to Bangkok ????

An acquaintance of mine gets a yearly extension based on being the parent of a Thai child. He has never had any problems renewing that extension in the last 5 years. Meet the requirements, apply with proper documentation, and follow the rules (e.g., 90 day reporting, etc.) and you should have no problems.

• Like 2

If you meet the requirements I’ve not heard of any refusals (for type O based on Marriage to or parent of a Thai national) - thus extending after 90 days initial visa period is a formality.

Note: You enter on a 90 Day Single Entry Non-Immigrant Type O Visa. After which you apply for for an Extension of Stay based on being a Parent of a Thai National - (this involves two visits to Immigration, the initial application, a 1 month ‘under consideration period’ then a receiving the approval stamp).

The Key issues are ensuring you have the required documentation and meet the requirements. 

Specifically: Financial: 400,000 baht seasoned for 2 months - Question: Does this need to be seasoned in a Thai Account ???? (OP - Do you have a Thai Bank Account into which you can season 400k for at least two months prior to application of extension of stay?)

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

Is her mother a Thai national? Being born here does not grant her Thai nationality otherwise.

If yes you can get a non-o visas and a one year extension of stay based upon being he parent of Thai.

If not then you can get non-o visa and extension of stay based upon being the parent of child attending school here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Is her mother a Thai national? Being born here does not grant her Thai nationality otherwise.

If yes you can get a non-o visas and a one year extension of stay based upon being he parent of Thai.

If not then you can get non-o visa and extension of stay based upon being the parent of child attending school here.

Kid was born in Thailand has a Thai passport.. Cheers for letting me know about the child attending school part also.

18 hours ago, ffaarraanngg said:

Hi

There is a small possibility i may be moving to Bangkok towards the end of 2021, and putting my daughter in private school for circa 6 years minimum until GCSE's are finished.

I got a response back from the Thai  Embassy stating -

Based on your information, you may be eligible to apply for a Non-Immigrant O (family) visa. Initially, it will be granted for 90 days, single entry. However, you will be able to extend it when you are in Bangkok, at your local Immigration Office.

Now it is the "Initially, it will be granted for 90 days" comment that is of interest.

Would i be reliant on the goodwill of the staff at the immigration dept. for extending this, dozens of times for the 6 years ... or is it possible to get something long term to avoid living under the worry of is the person at immigration going to be an <deleted> and not extend it. 

not even gonna read all ur blah blah but interesting thing...  Ibrought my elerly mum here, am on reitment ext...  immi said she can piggback...  then said I MAKE THE RULZ I DESICDE......   then want visit they same office say ohhhhh mama can put on ur RV ... even photo her outside.....  so caring...

Point is there are no rulz................   good luck

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Seeall said:

not even gonna read all ur blah blah but interesting thing...  Ibrought my elerly mum here, am on reitment ext...  immi said she can piggback...  then said I MAKE THE RULZ I DESICDE......   then want visit they same office say ohhhhh mama can put on ur RV ... even photo her outside.....  so caring...

Point is there are no rulz................   good luck

There are rules that are clearly stated in the Police Order.

On 1/12/2021 at 11:40 PM, ffaarraanngg said:

Hi

Does your daughter also have UK citizenship? 

If so, there also may be the option of her entering Thailand on her UK passport and if enrolling in international / private school you could apply for a guardian visa for yourself.  The application for you would need to be done outside Thailand, but hers could be done here.  Not sure if there would be complications since she also has a Thai passport, but probably best not to mention it to immigration if you want to avoid the financial requirements (there are none for guardian of a foreign student).  The application for ED visa for a child is very straightforward, or at least was for us.

5 hours ago, eppic said:

If so, there also may be the option of her entering Thailand on her UK passport and if enrolling in international / private school you could apply for a guardian visa for yourself.  The application for you would need to be done outside Thailand, but hers could be done here. 

Entering on a UK passport is bad advice. They would need a non-ed visa to enter the country and then apply for one year extension of stay for attending school.

Then the father would need a non-o visa based upon being their parent. The would need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days for the first extension and then 90 days after that to apply for a extension based upon being their parent.

He can easily apply a non-o visa at the embassy with proof he is their father and then apply for the extension based upon being their father. with 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies.

• Like 1

i think you guys have it wrong but ck it out 

https://thaiconsulatela.org/en/visa/visa-type/non-immigration-visa-category-o/

of course this is usa requirements

NO 40000 thb needed here .. 

only the small  monthly income $700 per person and $1,500 per family) in the bank 

and this is the non o immigrant  visit family   NOT the marriage or retirement 

i see ubon has spoken so i would listen to his advice  ..  ..

i am here on a non 0 imm visa to visit thai wife .. and i do not have to give proof of 400000  thb   so i dont know why mine is different  

7 minutes ago, ifmu said:

i am here on a non 0 imm visa to visit thai wife .. and i do not have to give proof of 400000  thb   so i dont know why mine is different  

You don’t need to show the 400,000 baht in an account when applying for the Non-Immigrant Type O single entry visa (90 days). However, when applying for an extension of stay based on Marriage to a Thai National you need to show either 400,000 baht seasoned for 2 month or minimum income (40,000 per month - I think). 

- The $700 in an account (or $1500 for a family) seems to be an attempt to meet the 20,000 baht  requirement usually associated with visa exempt entries - either the rules have changed and that this is now required for Visa entries or the embassy in the US has applied its own regulation. 

Edited by richard_smith237

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Entering on a UK passport is bad advice. They would need a non-ed visa to enter the country and then apply for one year extension of stay for attending school.

Then the father would need a non-o visa based upon being their parent. The would need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 30 days for the first extension and then 90 days after that to apply for a extension based upon being their parent.

He can easily apply a non-o visa at the embassy with proof he is their father and then apply for the extension based upon being their father. with 400k baht in a Thai bank on the day he applies.

My bad, I didn't realize there is a 500k financial requirement in this case, thanks for the correction

On 1/12/2021 at 10:30 PM, treetops said:

Medicspot aren't going to be checking you in for your flight so I hope they're correct.  From what I've read elsewhere though, I wouldn't be betting my savings on it.

It worked, landed this morning 

On 1/13/2021 at 12:16 AM, ffaarraanngg said:

On 1/13/2021 at 5:15 PM, ffaarraanngg said:

Kid was born in Thailand has a Thai passport.. Cheers for letting me know about the child attending school part also.

Were you married to the Mother or was the child born outside of marriage?

Do you have sole custody legally or by virtue of the Mother being absent?

If legally, where were the sole custody papers issued, UK or Thailand?

8 hours ago, ifmu said:

NO 40000 thb needed here .. 

only the small  monthly income $700 per person and $1,500 per family) in the bank 

and this is the non o immigrant  visit family 

8 hours ago, ifmu said:

The 400k baht in the a Thai is required for a extension of stay based upon marriage or for being the parent of a Thai applied for at immigration.

You are writing about a non-o visa application at a embassy or consulate.

8 hours ago, ifmu said:

You permission of stay was granted by virtue of the Non O Visa you obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate.

You were granted permission of stay for 90 days only on entry.

If you wanted to extend that permission of stay at your local Immigration office for 1 year based on marriage (an extension, which is a permit, not a Visa) then you would need to meet the financial requirements set by Immigration offices (not overseas Thai Embassies/Consulates).

That is the discussion.