Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Uncertainty over availability of COVID-19 vaccinations for expats in Thailand

webfact

7 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Probably not too much different from what many other countries will do.  Don't have the jab, don't come to my country.

This thread is talking about persons already in the country.  That is expats who have been here for many years

5 minutes ago, davidstipek said:

If Thai Visa Holders start Dying because of the lack being able to get Vaccine. Maybe a International Law Suit is in order....

If your healthy without any pre existing conditions your chance of dying of Covid is pretty close to ZERO %.......Even mainstream news admits this.......So virtually no healthy people will be kicking the bucket due to vaccine unavailability.....   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

maybe another perfect cash cow coming up..?

private hospital vaccination or no visa for you ferang.

i know, don't give them ideas!

Is there any medical linked 'cash cow' you know of? Or any cash cow in general that you have paid? Last year I got my flu vaccination and MMR free in the UK but had to pay for other vaccinations. I did not regard it as a cash cow even though they were expensive. This year I paid for my flu vaccination here in Thailand. I did not regard it as a cash cow. When I get a vaccination  here and have to pay I will non the less be grateful.  I will not regard it as a cash cow. Perhaps you might demonstrate gratitude too instead of making cheap cracks about medical services you are only speculating about.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

No Chinese vaccine for me.  Will pay extra for the good stuff.

Problem is, you'll pay more for the good stuff but they'll still give you the Chinese one

I've seen bars do it, putting Laos Khao into empty bottles of Smirnoff

Not sure what's worse..

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ripstanley said:

This thread is talking about persons already in the country.  That is expats who have been here for many years

But as I said above..."the Thai Government see you all as visitors on renewable extensions of what were once Non-Immigrant visas."

So doesn't matter if you've been there 6 months or 20 years, you still have the same (lack of) status.  I'm neither agreeing nor disagreeing with this, merely pointing it out.

21 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Problem is, you'll pay more for the good stuff but they'll still give you the Chinese one

Not sure what's worse..

Touché. Will probably go to Bumrungrad Hospital for the good stuff.  Have trusted them for eight years.  They will have the good stuff.

7 hours ago, at15 said:

This is complete fear mongering nonsense.

Feeling left out in the cold, we are indeed.

7 hours ago, at15 said:

The WTTC said the other day that its discrimination and not necessary.

Discrimination doesn't fall into this category. 

7 hours ago, at15 said:

No country is going to want to kill its travel industry.

So are you saying they would prefer to kill off their citizens ?

7 hours ago, at15 said:

Personally i would never in a million years consider injecting any "covid" vaccine.

"Up to you" as they say here, best not be heading down under if you can't afford being quarantined ????

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coronavirus-vaccine-proof-needed-enter-australia-or-travellers-to-pay-for-hotel-quarantine/76ce7511-3e02-426d-9180-5d0eb3ead852

7 hours ago, Card said:

1. 400,000 or 800,000 is not supposed to be spent on vaccinations! It is supposed to be held in an account!

2. Farang retirees are old and vulnerable!

I can see this being an excuse to force the 400 and 800K baht crowd  to purchase Thai insurance.

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I imagine vaccination will be a part of a new visa requirement , 'so get it or go home' will be the new immigration mantra. 

Many countries are now requiring their citizens to be vaccinated prior to a repatriation flight home. Also Airlines are making noises, no vaccination certificate no boarding ✈️????????

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HOAX said:
6 hours ago, ardsong said:

it is in general believed that if 70% of the population is immune or protected for a disease, the chances to create a pandemy  are gone.

6 hours ago, HOAX said:

True. The more you limit the virus from spreading it just simply has nowhere to go and "dies off". As you say, that`s around 70%. It doesn`t mean the virus necessarily vanishes, but an epidemic or pandemic is unlikely. That being said, Moderna says their vaccine could only have a 1 year effectiveness. Meaning, the virus potentially may live among us centuries or even indefinitely and a future epidemic/pandemic may still occur if people aren`t continuing to vaccinate themselves yearly, unless we get a vaccine that lasts significantly longer than just 1 year.

And in practice that means only around 35% of the population actually need to be vaccinated, the urban dwellers.

We've already seen from the 2 waves that we've had in Thailand, that the rural communities have hardly been touched by Covid. The thin spread of this population make it much more difficult for the virus to transmit between the towns and villages. There hasn't been a single reported case closer than 70kms to our village.

Once this current wave has been controlled, and I'm sure that it will be and vaccination begins in the cities, plus of course the continued cooperation of the public, we'll have seen the last of this virus.

1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

Not sure what's worse..

I can see how they might get away with the former, but Smirnoff is a little different to Lao Khao. I've seen cheaper brands being substituted but not Lao Khao for vodka.

6 hours ago, mr mr said:

going to coin a new phrase on this thread. soon those who refuse to take the vaccine will be labelled  as *the resisters*

you will hold out for a while and kick and scream. it's my right. not into my body. bla bla bla. then when your world starts getting smaller. limited. you watch as people around you have freedom of movement etc. you will succumb. 

how much for any copy of any certificate for flying and travelling from koasan road !,000 baht ?

So easy to get certificates, rather than paying silly money for the vaccines 

I’m surprised so many people are complaining (and speculating) about the cost of the vaccine.  It’s not going to be that expensive.  

A 500% markup on the western retail price of the AstraZeneca vaccine would put it at ฿900-1200 per dose (2 doses needed) 

Hardly a bank breaker.

From Healthline....

“The cost for each dose ranges from $3 to $37, depending on the vaccine. 

Moderna, a two-dose vaccine, recently announced each dose will go for around $32 to $37. 

The Pfizer vaccine, also given in two doses, is expected to cost $19.50 a dose. 

Each dose for Johnson & Johnson’s two-dose vaccine will cost an estimated $10, and AstraZeneca’s two-dose vaccine could be the cheapest at just $3 to $4 a dose.”

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-much-will-it-cost-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine#How-much-each-dose-will-cost

For a minimum wage Thai (฿8,000/month), yes...฿2,400 for the two doses needed isn’t cheap.  But for retirees, who presumably can afford to have ฿800,000 in the bank (or a ฿65,000 monthly income) it’s pocket change.

Edited by Airalee

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Let's wait and see what happens when the vaccine is available

As the UK Embassy was saying they will advise Accordingly when information is received from the Thai Government about us expats here retired working  ect 

Getting the vaccine injection ?

The UK embassy quoted us as being customers, and not clients, so they should sell it to us at cost, after all the customer is ALWAYS right. 

10 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I’m surprised so many people are complaining (and speculating) about the cost of the vaccine.  It’s not going to be that expensive.  

A 500% markup on the western retail price of the AstraZeneca vaccine would put it at ฿900-1200 per dose (2 doses needed) 

Hardly a bank breaker.

From Healthline....

“The cost for each dose ranges from $3 to $37, depending on the vaccine. 

Moderna, a two-dose vaccine, recently announced each dose will go for around $32 to $37. 

The Pfizer vaccine, also given in two doses, is expected to cost $19.50 a dose. 

Each dose for Johnson & Johnson’s two-dose vaccine will cost an estimated $10, and AstraZeneca’s two-dose vaccine could be the cheapest at just $3 to $4 a dose.”

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/how-much-will-it-cost-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine#How-much-each-dose-will-cost

For a minimum wage Thai (฿8,000/month), yes...฿2,400 for the two doses needed isn’t cheap.  But for retirees, who presumably can afford to have ฿800,000 in the bank (or a ฿65,000 monthly income) it’s pocket change.

Its not about whether we can afford in my mind, its about having to pay a high price to get a $20 shot. some private hospitals charge B4,000 just to talk to a doctor, and you can bet you'll have to go through him before you get a jab, when a good tri-age nurse should be sufficient.

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

The first "If you don't like it here you should go home" post of the day. I'm ok with you and your kind expressing your opinion, but don't patronise us by telling us where we should live.

it won’t be me. I don’t make the rules.
it will be Anutin. 

4 hours ago, steevjee said:

When you say " they have been very successful handling it"  I presume you mean their ability to hide the real figures, due to almost no testing and a vast increase in deaths caused by Influenza ????

Are you just having a tickle to see how many here react? I mean "Do what Anutin tells us to do" that's seriously funny  555

You know people who have had covid and were not included in the figures? 
Or did you just imagine that would happen? 

Gary Ablett reckons it is the Illuminati. 

Edited by Natai Beach

10 hours ago, Natai Beach said:

Exactly. I think this thread is just stirring up worry for no reason. 

If an expat can’t afford a covid shot, they shouldn’t be in Thailand. I am sure the 800,000 for retirement visa or 400,000 for marriage visa money will more than cover it. 
if they are on a working visa that will also cover it. 
Some will expect it for free I am sure.

I am happy to wait my turn and do whatever the thai authorities ask us to do. Give it to the frontline health workers first, then all the oldies and fat people.

If they require us all to eventually vaccinated then we will, it is their country, their rules. 

And they have been very successful handling it, much better than western countries, so we are not really in the position to start complaining and telling them how to handle it. 

I am sure some will. They then have to make a choice. Do what Anutin tells us to do or find some other country to live in.

Its real cost is in the 2/3 to 5$ range, so even if we have to pay 30/50 $ it's not a big deal, calm down and be grateful for once the Thai Gov has done a good job so far re Covid our LOW numbers are outstandingly GREAT for a population of 69 million, compared to the rest of the world. 

Okay, so what's gonna happen with all the illegal immigrants currently sitting in centres around the world ? 

Australia, New Zealand, USA, UK, many countries in Europe, even here in mainly Buddhist Thailand, are the authorities really going to ignore the requirement to vaccinate them ??

Even amongst the expat community here in Thailand I know people who would struggle to pay for a jab X 2, so they decide not to have it, and quite a few posters here have said no way Jose, we now have a weak link in an already fragile chain, is the government here really prepared to let people roam the countryside potentially infecting their citizens ?

I think you will find that in the rest of the world even illegals will be jabbed to try and stop this in its tracks, it is in no one's interests to allow the virus to continue to spread due to a misguided belief that any non Thai can afford to pay.

Obviously I could be wrong. Over to you clever lot, especially the know it all's ????????

46 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

some private hospitals charge B4,000 just to talk to a doctor

And some charge ฿400

Sounds like you’re going to the wrong hospital.

The last time I saw a doctor in Los Angeles (gastroenterologist), for a 10 minute (mostly useless) consultation, I was billed $850 (฿25,500).  I count my blessings to have affordable healthcare here in Thailand.

• Like 1