Visa process experience

Hello.

Im presently in the uk but planning on moving to Thailand later this year when hopefully this virus is on the way to being beaten.

Can anyone please tell me their experience of the visa process as not having experienced this before it concerns me.

Aged 55 I will be looking at either an ed visa a I wish to learn Thai or a retirement visa.

Many thanks

28 minutes ago, Clive said:

Aged 55 I will be looking at either an ed visa a I wish to learn Thai or a retirement visa.

At 55 I would be looking at a retirement extension. 

Presuming Covid restrictions are lifted (rather optimistic for this year), you could travel to Thailand Visa Exempt. Then with at least 15 days left (of the 30 granted on entry, or of a 30 day extension you can get),  you apply for a change of Visa status and that would become a 90 day Non-Imm-O Entry. You would be required to show 800,000 baht has been transferred to Thailand into a Thai bank account of your own to do this.

Longer term, near the end of that 90 days, you apply for a Retirement Extension (12 months) .... and would need to show that the 800,000 baht has been in the bank for 2 months. IE can't spend any of it. Even after the Extension is granted that money needs to be left a further 3 months, after which 400,000 can be used. There are alternatives to the money on deposit, like 65,000 baht per month income. 

Hi

I have just done the retirement visa route and have just finished quarantine in Thailand. However, I got my visa in Dubai (UK passpprt) and it was quite painless. It may also be easier to get your UK police report etc whilst in the UK and I was also able to show the 800,000 Baht equivalent in my local bank in Dubai. Along with above from jacko45k this gives you two options for the retirement visa route.

I initially started on the ed visa but as of now, it is still not accepted for COE for entering Thailand. This can change any day...

8 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

It may also be easier to get your UK police report etc whilst in the UK

A UK Police report is only required to obtain A Non Imm OA or OX Visa. 

The OP could travel Visa Exempt, Tourist Visa or with a regular Non-Imm-O. I usually don't mention the O-A as under non-Covid situation, insurance is required to obtain it.. the others not. (Although some say not having to show the 800k money in Thailand for 2 years makes up for that). All this is discussing a non-Covid return to previous rules scenario, which may be very optimistic.

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A UK Police report is only required to obtain A Non Imm OA or OX Visa. 

The OP could travel Visa Exempt, Tourist Visa or with a regular Non-Imm-O. I usually don't mention the O-A as under non-Covid situation, insurance is required to obtain it.. the others not. (Although some say not having to show the 800k money in Thailand for 2 years makes up for that). All this is discussing a non-Covid return to previous rules scenario, which may be very optimistic.

Meeting the mandatory health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country, is relatively easy and not costly (max cost 11.400 THB when under 76 years of age, or no cost at all when your international insurance meets the IO requirements).

>> Do PM me when interested in receiving a Guideline document on how to meet that mandatory health-insurance requirement.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Do PM me when interested in receiving a Guideline document on how to meet that mandatory health-insurance requirement.

Thx, but I have been here a long time on a Non-Imm-O based retirement extension and hopefully it will never be needed. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Thx, but I have been here a long time on a Non-Imm-O based retirement extension and hopefully it will never be needed. 

Hi Jacko45K > I only quoted your post because you mentioned the Non Imm O-A Visa and associated mandatory insurance, in your response.

Many posters on the Forum regard that insurance requirement as the killer of the Non Imm O-A Visa and advise against applying for it because of that reason.  But reality is more nuanced, and depending on your circumstances it will often be quite worthwhile to opt for a Non Imm O-A Visa application.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

But reality is more nuanced, and depending on your circumstances it will often be quite worthwhile to opt for a Non Imm O-A Visa application.

I agree, with a small caveat. Someone who ultimately plans to extend in country based on retirement, who also will soon traverse an insurance age barrier, needs to consider they are 'locked into' the OA insurance requirement, and the policy options in Thailand are expensive or to get a cheaper policy (with deductibles) of little use.  

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I agree, with a small caveat. Someone who ultimately plans to extend in country based on retirement, who also will soon traverse an insurance age barrier, needs to consider they are 'locked into' the OA insurance requirement, and the policy options in Thailand are expensive or to get a cheaper policy (with deductibles) of little use.  

Yes, the insurance age barrier (also affecting cost of the policy) is something to be taken into consideration.  But of course there is always the option to 'kill' the Non Imm O-A Visa permission to stay by exiting Thailand without a re-entry permit, and after returning VisaExempt applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa and subsequent 1-year extensions.  Doing so you would have effectively dumped the insurance requirement.

Archived