Officer suspended after being charged with raping Myanmar drug suspect in police station

webfact

Officer suspended after being charged with raping Myanmar drug suspect in police station

By THE NATION

800_e038726c38d823e.jpg?v=1610678969

A police senior sergeant-major in Surat Thani province has been suspended from duties for allegedly raping a Myanmar drug suspect at a local police station.

The officer was an investigation squad leader at Bo Phut Police Station in Surat Thani’s Koh Samui district.

Surat Thani police chief Pol Maj-General Sathit Pholpinit issued an urgent order on January 13 suspending the officer, and appointed a disciplinary committee to investigate the incident within seven days.

The alleged incident reportedly took place at around 1.50am-2.30am on January 13, when the suspect took a 21-year-old female Myanmar national, who had been detained at Bo Phut Police Station on a drug charge, out of her holding cell to another room. After allegedly being raped, she was taken back to the cell.

After the incident, the victim notified the Myanmar Embassy, which filed a complaint with Bo Phut police chief Pol Colonel Yutthana Sirisombat. Yutthana reportedly said that he had interrogated the senior sergeant-major, who partly admitted and partly denied committing the alleged crime.

The officer was then charged with raping a woman and is now under detention at Koh Samui Court, while the victim has been brought to Koh Samui Hospital for physical examination.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30401283

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2021-01-15

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

What a load of nonsense...He either raped the poor woman, or he didnt.

If he did, he needs sacked and prosecuted, and jailed for a long time.

The officer has been charged and now held pending prosecution and verdict.  If found guilty he can be sacked and jailed for a long time; the prosecution must go first.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spiekerjozef said:

Incident? Since when is rape an incident?

Everything is an incident, some are crimes.  The investigation will be to examine the facts as known and the actions taken to see where internal procedures need to be addressed; it has nothing to do with a court prosecution.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The  "yes  AND  no" by the Policeman makes me wonder if there was  some "negotiation" that went on over the arrest/charges but after the  "incident"  it was reneged on by the  officer who just  tossed  her back in the  cell ?

jesus h christ

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Have they checked him for COVID?

... and then it is determined he is moulting gunk at a more advanced stage than her...  but he'd then plead the Egg before the Chicken

• Like 1

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yeah, it would be interesting to hear what he said.

Maybe he did not finish and figures in his mind it does not really count.

Either way, book em and hope he can enjoy the same in prison.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, animalmagic said:

The officer has been charged and now held pending prosecution and verdict.  If found guilty he can be sacked and jailed for a long time; the prosecution must go first.

He was released on bail as far as I’m aware ???? 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

That was my first thought but it says that he has been charged with rape so they obviously didn't buy his story.  I hope that because this is out there in the public domain, he won't be allowed to buy his way out of trouble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

He was released on bail as far as I’m aware ???? 

I have no experience of case management in Thailand (fortunately), but in reasonable legal jurisdictions bail is a default option unless there is a justifiable fear of the suspect absconding or committing another crime.  That is something for the investigators to show when objecting to bail, even then a judge may place various restrictions on the bailed person to prevent absconding or further criminal activity.

It doesn't matter how many perceive it but a suspect is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

6 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Don't understand how anybody can trust the police here.

To use the generic term 'the police' is a tad misleading.

In my 27 years in dealing with the police in Thailand (the last 20 years on Samui) I have had a reason to interact with the police in a number of provinces, including Bangkok. The cases range from murder to petty theft.

On the whole, the police that I have dealt with have been  honest and straightforward.

Do I trust them? I reserve judgement on the individual and until I can see how it all pans out. I treat them with respect and I am careful in what I say and how I react, until I feel that I can trust them.

In most cases, I have never been asked for a bribe or for a 'donation'.

In the petty motoring cases, even if not guilty, I have made 'donations' at the roadside.

When things have been stolen (or lost) by me or my guests, I find that the offer of a reward, up front, does work wonders. Stolen items have been recovered.

So yes, I suppose that I do trust the police here on Samui. This may not suit some people making comments but that is how I have seen things.

Do I trust the police as a National organisation? That is a different question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1