Non Imm O (marriage) visa queries

Hi everyone, newbie here, thanks for the add. Arrived in Thailand from the UK mid October. The non imm O based on marriage was originally for 90 days and stamped to 9 January. I'm living in Korat so went to ChokChai immigration in December and got that extended until 10 March. I'm now looking to convert to a 1 year visa. Due to quarantine and settling in etc, I wasn't able to open a Thai bank account until November. Obviously, I've had to go the 400K bank deposit route. The requisite 2 months will be up next week so I will be going back to ChockChai quite soon. I've seen some great info about the process and required documents on here but what with the current (covid) restrictions etc, does anyvbody know if the current process and required documents has changed at all? If anybody has done this process in the last month or so, a quick heads up on what to expect would be really useful.

On the same subject but with advance planning in mind; I'm thinking 40K per month (rather than the 400K deposit) would make it easier for me to manage my finances but does anybody know, is it acceptable if that 40K per month is paid simply from one of my UK accounts or does it have to be from a specified source? (Maybe that's just for retirement??).

All help gratefully received - TIA - Allan

There have been no changes of the requirements for one year extensions of stay due to covid or for any other reason.

It does not matter where the 40k baht comes from as long as it is transferred from abroad. You will need to show 12 months of transfers with proof it was transferred from abroad. They will probably want proof of the source of your income such as a pension and etc.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It does not matter where the 40k baht comes from as long as it is transferred from abroad. You will need to show 12 months of transfers with proof it was transferred from abroad. They will probably want proof of the source of your income such as a pension and etc.

Many years ago (10 to be exact), filing based on income, I showed a letter from my employer on company letterhead simply stating my monthly salary. This seemed to be quite acceptable at the time. At that time, showing deposits to a Thai bank account was not necessary.

11 minutes ago, AllanD said:

On the same subject but with advance planning in mind; I'm thinking 40K per month (rather than the 400K deposit) would make it easier for me to manage my finances but does anybody know, is it acceptable if that 40K per month is paid simply from one of my UK accounts or does it have to be from a specified source?

A UK bank account is ok. I did mine a couple of months ago and just showed them the remittance advice slips I get from HSBC. Would be advisable to have the transfers go into a separate account, makes it easier to  match the transfers with the remittance.

I had to show 12 months as I had an extension in the past but you should be ok with 3.

11 minutes ago, timendres said:

Many years ago (10 to be exact), filing based on income, I showed a letter from my employer on company letterhead simply stating my monthly salary. This seemed to be quite acceptable at the time. At that time, showing deposits to a Thai bank account was not necessary.

That was when all embassies issued proof of income documents. At that time that was all that was required by immigration.

For many of us the proof from a embassy is no longer available. Now it is 12 months of transfers from abroad.

Something from a employer would not be accepted as the source of income unless you were working outside the country on a rotation.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Something from a employer would not be accepted as the source of income unless you were working outside the country on a rotation.

Right. I was just pointing it out because immigration not only wanted my embassy affidavit of income, but also wanted some evidence of where this income came from, and the letter from my employer was accepted as evidence of the source of the income.

I have just been talking with a friend today who saw a video about the new requirements, which include a copy of all transactions in ur bank book for the whole year. He did mention too that perhaps the 400K has to be in the bank all year. Not convinced that is true, but it appears things are getting stricter and stricter.

8 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I have just been talking with a friend today who saw a video about the new requirements, which include a copy of all transactions in ur bank book for the whole year. He did mention too that perhaps the 400K has to be in the bank all year. Not convinced that is true, but it appears things are getting stricter and stricter.

A video from whom?

Nothing is changing or getting stricter as far as I am aware.

24 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Probably a mixed up with proving 40k baht transfers in a bank account not the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months.

Or somebody on an extension based upon retirement that requires 800k baht in the bank for 3 months and then 400k baht after that.

More to the point is just how pedantic these people are is an example of how they will not accept photocopies with a signature already on. It has to be fresh/original. 

Another example of the petty beaurocracy in this country is how my wife went to the bank to withdraw money for her mother yesterday because her mother is too unwell to do it herself. My wife has a signed ( fingerprint / thumbprint) paper authorising her, but NO, the bank say her mother has to be present at the bank.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That was when all embassies issued proof of income documents. At that time that was all that was required by immigration.

For many of us the proof from a embassy is no longer available. Now it is 12 months of transfers from abroad.

Now i get really confused!
We are talking about a Marry extension...right?
Soon i will go back to Thailand on a NON-O marriage (90 days) which i want to extend for 1 year using the 40k monthly income method.This is my first time.
UJ told before that only 2 month proof of income (40K from abroad) was required OR a letter from the embassy ( affidavit of income)
Now  i read proof off income for 12 month and NO affidavit
 of income
This will be my first 1 year extension and i can show 3 month of income (from abroad)in my Thai Bank
I can also show a letter from my employee or a letter of my embassy

If i do NOT get a 1 year extension.....then i can have a 60 day extension based on visiting my wife..(right?)
AFTER that period i must leave the country OR can i stay longer...???
Really confusing for me

4 hours ago, MICHAELDUTCH said:

UJ told before that only 2 month proof of income (40K from abroad) was required OR a letter from the embassy ( affidavit of income)

The 2 months from abroad is for the first extension and it may be possible if you have not been staying in the country on a multiple entry non-o for some period of time. Many immigration offices want the 12 months of transfers.

Dependent upon your nationality you may still be able to get a income affidavit from your embassy if you are not from the USA, the UK or Australia.

10 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

At least from Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok) this is not true. I just had my visit 1 week ago, and 2 or 3 months of bank book was enough.

Archived