The generosity of Thais.

Lacessit

Been here 5 years, can't say I have ever encountered Thai's being generous, however I wouldn't expect them to be as I am better off than most in my wife's village.

I always tell the boss to give cloths that we don't need and to buy the old neighbour something to eat when she goes to the market.

My personal experience with Thai's, (not a Thai basher), to be all for themselves, and hard on each other, only offering help at the last minute to others if ever, like I said, this is my personal experience. An example would be that I went to reverse in a parking spot at the school my daughter goes to and out of nowhere this guy drives straight into the spot and walks off with his kid, real nice, everyone could see from the clear daylight that I was about to reverse into the spot, I didn't get angry, I expect the unexpected in Thailand, if it were in the old country, someone would have more than likely keyed his car, not me, duck and weaving throughout life is my moto, karma.

They are accommodating when being served, although most hardly smile, will wai, but might smile when I wai and speak the limited Thai that I know.

I could start mentioning about the ones that will try and take an arm and a leg, but won't because I don't want to be called a Thai basher.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

I see it all the time and everywhere... 

yesterday and most every week, my housekeeper brings fruit. 

one that touched my heart was many years ago when we offered to refinish and rebuild my wife's parent's teak home on our property, her dad told me he would not accept unless I had more than XX million baht in the bank for myself... 

way too many stories to list. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I’m in Oz, with my wife of 3 years, she’s been here for 18 months.

She tells me every week that when she wins lotto she will get lights put up on our rural road and buy me 7 (!!!) Mia noi.

I have no doubts about Thais generosity of spirt... ????

Especially when you are the one paying for the ticket.   ????

10 hours ago, HighPriority said:

I’m in Oz, with my wife of 3 years, she’s been here for 18 months.

She tells me every week that when she wins lotto she will get lights put up on our rural road and buy me 7 (!!!) Mia noi.

I have no doubts about Thais generosity of spirt... ????

They sure know how to spoil their man. You sound like you got a live one.

With regard to her buying you 7 (!!!) Mia noi, better get into shape up because I am sure you don't want to end up with a heart attack at Mia noi 1 ????

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't think my GF's generosity would extend to a mia noi or gik, and I'm not inclined to put it to the test. Too old anyway.

My wife has been generous twice that she knows of, as for Mia noi, not interested in having one, the short timer every now and again is just fine, one wife, one life, can't imagine having another for long time ????

• Confused 1

I recall when the king died and there was a couple of major events in the middle of pattaya, All the taxis and baht buses were transporting everyone for free.  All the restaurants and food vendors giving away free food/drinks to the crowds.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bangon04 said:

There are two different Smiles to be seen in Thailand. Unfortunately many Farang experience the wrong type of smile. Then they start to believe it is the prevalent type of smile.

Even crocodiles know how to smile! ????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Two doors up gives us so much foodstuff and takes nothing back I sometimes pretend to be out, this week 3 pineapples from CR. Friend round the corner has had her house bought for her and another given by former rich business associate and same gave her husband I mil towards a new mini van. My mrs just gives me a headache!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, bangon04 said:

There are two different Smiles to be seen in Thailand. Unfortunately many Farang experience the wrong type of smile. Then they start to believe it is the prevalent type of smile.

A Killing Smile by Christopher G. Moore

a lot more than two............. and many years to learn ( like any subject ) .

Though i have to say,  I am truly amazed  how quickly the farang can come to Thailand and

become an expert on sooooo many things Thai .    

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

They sure know how to spoil their man. You sound like you got a live one.

With regard to her buying you 7 (!!!) Mia noi, better get into shape up because I am sure you don't want to end up with a heart attack at Mia noi 1 ????

I always tell her I don’t need 7, I only need 5.

1 each night, her and a night off... ????

????

• Haha 2

Ive  made my  fair share of adverse comments about Thais,  but Ive  made  more about my own countrymen.

I have also  experienced many incidents of kindness, and generosity from Thais, and had some   really  funny experiences. By that  "funny"  I mean  hilarious.  I especially recall, one day in a department store, I noticed a middle aged Thai man   actually scowling at me. I   kept looking over to him, the scowl remained.   To this day I dont know why, but I  smiled at him.   A big beaming smile. It was just involuntary on my part.       To my amazement,  he smiled back, gave me a  laugh and waved and walked off.  

As for my wifes married daughter, some years ago I heard her speaking badly to her mother.  I ripped into her and told her  if she ever spoke to her mother like that again she would  eat her meals standing up for a long time.   Both her, and her husband,, now appear terrified of me,  Im an old man for goodness sake,  but there is respect there, both ways now.

• Confused 1

I have been living here in Chiang Mai for the past 16 years.

Prior to that, I had been extensively backpacking around Asia, but in particular, using Thailand as a starting and departing point, together with long beach holidays for the                                      10 years before that.

I first came to Thailand in 1964. During the next 20 years, I visited here again, on some 6-8 different occasions.

In all that time, I have never had a problem, anywhere, with any Thai people.

I have never felt unsafe.

I too have experienced many instances of helpfulness, kindness, warmth and generosity  - everywhere I have been.

Yes, I have been cheated a little occasionally, yes, I've met some unhappy, disgruntled and rude Thai people, of course I have.

What I have also done, is to meet some pretty obnoxious, argumentative, selfish and ignorant foreigners - both from my own country and other countries around the world.

And I have also met thousands of others who were also pleasant to be with and to know.

I believe you meet and mix with those people - irrespective of nationality, that you can converse with and enjoy their company. If you are on the same wavelength, you rarely find a problem. You ignore and avoid the rest. They will always moan and hate - it's in their nature, whether they are here or back in their own country.

I don't wish to live anywhere but here. Why would I?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On the whole I have found Thai people to be friendly and helpful. I’ve never had a bad experience in Thailand but I read extensively before I landed in Thailand so was aware of the pitfalls. As a foreigner I’d still be wary of getting involved in any business deals or buying property, but that comment would apply in many foreign countries. You also have to be extra careful with fellow westerners, as many rogues are looking to take advantage of new arrivals. But in the whole Thai people are a very nice bunch.

• Confused 1