Importing A Car Into Thailand

Hi all. I fear this may have been answered before - however, here's my query.

In the next year or two I'm hoping to move to Samui. I have a 2 year old Volkswagon beetle convertible. I was thinking that this could be a nice car to drive on Samui. You certainly don't see any there.

So the qustion, what's involved in importing a car to samui? Is it awkward, expensive, possible?

Any advice appreciated?

Hey Suegha, you've been around these fora long enough to know the answer already :D

FORGET IT :o

The taxes and duties are punitive, and if customs take a fancy to your car.... IIRC it's something like 100-300% of 'perceived value' (determined by customs so you can't even get a quote before they see the car).

I'm not aware of anyone who has recently successfully imported a vehicle, I think it was Tuktukmike who detailed his tale of woe on this board a couple of years back, the thread will be lurking somewhere in the archives, try a search.

Edited by Crossy

I sent a motorcycle from India. The cost of the bike PLUS shipping came out to about 900USD. Import on this end was over 45,000THB. I sent an older bike that wansn't rebuilt just to see what it would do. It is a loss and once the vehicle gets here you will have MUCH more invested than what the vehicle is worth. My suggestion. Only bring over something that is sentimental and worth the money to you. You will never get money out of it.

jr

Foreign-made vehicles permanently imported into Thailand, whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally subject to taxes and duties. However, used/secondhand vehicles are regarded as restricted goods and, therefore, generally not allowed for importation into Thailand, except for temporary imports as mentioned above or imports under the conditions specified by the Ministry of Commerce.

Source: http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

Pretty close to impossible, importing a second hand car. Seems like it's only allowed as temporary import, necessitating the vehicle remains registered in it's country of origin, and doesn't stay more then 6 months in Thailand!

Permanent import is only allowed by:

Eligible Persons

The importers under the criteria listed below are eligible to import ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use

1. Nonresidents: Nonresidents with non-immigrant visas issued by the Immigration Department and work permits issued by the Ministry of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year at the time of importation.

2. Thai Residents: The Thai residents are divided into 2 categories:

1. Returning Thai residents working/studying/living abroad: The permanent import of personal vehicles under this condition is allowed only when the vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and the importer have owned, possessed, and used the imported vehicles together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

2. Returning Thai residents marrying foreigners: It is required that the importer have owned, possessed, and used the imported vehicle while staying abroad for at least one and a half year, from the date of transferring of ownership to the date of arriving in Thailand. In addition, a Marriage Certificate and relevant evidence indicating the change of residence to Thailand must also be shown to Customs.

So if you come to work here and have a 1 year workpermit you might be able to do it.

But it'll be very expensive, and if one person at customs takes a fancy for your car, it'll be lost. They'll jack up the fees and the coffee money up so high that you'll give up. Getting it out without getting it in first is not allowed, so basically your vehicle will get confiscated, and then auctioned of (privately) to the officer liking your car for a nominal small amount of a couple of thousand Baht...

Foreign-made vehicles permanently imported into Thailand, whether new or used, either for personal use or for sale, are generally subject to taxes and duties. However, used/secondhand vehicles are regarded as restricted goods and, therefore, generally not allowed for importation into Thailand, except for temporary imports as mentioned above or imports under the conditions specified by the Ministry of Commerce.

Source: http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

Pretty close to impossible, importing a second hand car. Seems like it's only allowed as temporary import, necessitating the vehicle remains registered in it's country of origin, and doesn't stay more then 6 months in Thailand!

Permanent import is only allowed by:

Eligible Persons

The importers under the criteria listed below are eligible to import ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use

1. Nonresidents: Nonresidents with non-immigrant visas issued by the Immigration Department and work permits issued by the Ministry of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year at the time of importation.

2. Thai Residents: The Thai residents are divided into 2 categories:

1. Returning Thai residents working/studying/living abroad: The permanent import of personal vehicles under this condition is allowed only when the vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and the importer have owned, possessed, and used the imported vehicles together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

2. Returning Thai residents marrying foreigners: It is required that the importer have owned, possessed, and used the imported vehicle while staying abroad for at least one and a half year, from the date of transferring of ownership to the date of arriving in Thailand. In addition, a Marriage Certificate and relevant evidence indicating the change of residence to Thailand must also be shown to Customs.

So if you come to work here and have a 1 year workpermit you might be able to do it.

But it'll be very expensive, and if one person at customs takes a fancy for your car, it'll be lost. They'll jack up the fees and the coffee money up so high that you'll give up. Getting it out without getting it in first is not allowed, so basically your vehicle will get confiscated, and then auctioned of (privately) to the officer liking your car for a nominal small amount of a couple of thousand Baht...

Yes it seems you have to be a thai businessman with friends to get a car in here, take a look at all the mercedes. lexus etc running around thailand and for sale at dealers in bkk, it can be done, but by the likes of us ? forget it, i tried to import a volvo here and if i had been given it in the uk it would have still cost me 10k uk to get it in, rediculous,.dont bother, you wil drive yourself mad with frustation, buy locally, 50 pound cars in the uk are 3000 uk here, bargain ! or a truck, carry anything !

post-41326-1179045819_thumb.jpg