Thai police get it all wrong: Foreign tourist forced to the ground during Bangkok protest

webfact

Thai police get it all wrong: Foreign tourist forced to the ground during Bangkok protest

5pm.jpg

Image: Kapook

Thai social media was abuzz with comment after a photographer on Facebook posted a picture of a man being forcibly held to the ground with his arms behind his back.

Yet he was repeatedly shouting in English: "I'm not Thai, I'm not Thai"".

When he showed the officers his passport it was clear they had tried to arrest the wrong person. 

The post by Peerapon Boonyakiat was made after the dust settled on unrest in the capital on Saturday.

Trouble flared initially at Victory Monument then at shopping centers where there was an explosion. 

The foreign man in the photo was let go by the police after they realized their error. 

5pm1.jpg

Image: Kapook

The photographer was unsure where he was from though he said his English was not fluent. 

Condemnation of the Thai police was rife, reported Kapook, who said that people commented that Thailand looked pathetic in the eyes of the international community when such incidents occur. 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-01-19

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

Yet he was repeatedly shouting in English: "I'm not Thai, I'm not Thai""

now I know how to get away with anything here.

I will just tell police "im not Thai, I'm not thai."

It's a sure fire winner 😄 

9 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Just make sure you have a photographer handy, and the second highest authority in Thailand...........................Facebook!

I would rather them make a mistake and potentially save lives by being proactive ! 

Anyone is capable of making a mistake, but in an area of an explosion I think they were acting appropriately and taking no chances with Public safety.

3 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I would rather them make a mistake and potentially save lives ! 

Anyone is capable of making a mistake.

I'm not sure lives were at risk at a peaceful student protest against corrupt officialdom.

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

I'm not sure lives were at risk at a peaceful student protest against corrupt officialdom.

Trouble flared initially at Victory Monument then at shopping centers where there was an explosion. 

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

No mention of where he was arrested. No sign of protestors in the pictures. Who were the cops trying to arrest and for what reason? Wasn't the explosion under a flyover bridge on Rama 4 road near Sam Yan? Vague and lame reporting as usual.

Unrest, and there was an explosion so the cops would be on high alert.

Sorry, I don't think 10 cops would detain this guy for nothing.

Maybe his demeanor was suspicious, someone reported him, or he said something.

The reporting is poor and unclear so who knows..

Caught on camera then put on social media.I imagine the police will be saying sorry many times over,with alittle gift of cash maybe  who knows.not hard to see he was not thai  when speaking in english  as well

Replies to a previously removed post have also been removed.

This topic is about Thai police mistakenly arresting a non Thai citizen. This topic is not about England, or Ireland, or the troubles these two countries had decades ago.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The post by Peerapon Boonyakiat was made after the dust settled on unrest in the capital on Saturday.

Tomorrows news: Peerapon Boonyakiat arrested and charged with defamation for posting on FB.

43 minutes ago, JimHuaHin said:

The Tourism Authority of Thailand should use this in their next international propaganda campaign.

Inter provincial student tourists spend 2 billion baht at protest before police stepped in and quashed it???

Nothing wrong here. Can’t see his face but at first sight, he looks Asian and can be easily confused. IMO. Another matter is the violence used by Polices.

Full story please. With the full context I may be able to understand what the farang was doing and also what reason the police had for restraining him. Meanwhile I'll go and read some Enid Blyton, that will throw as much light on the incident.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I would rather them make a mistake and potentially save lives by being proactive ! 

Anyone is capable of making a mistake, but in an area of an explosion I think they were acting appropriately and taking no chances with Public safety.

I agree with you on this one. Catch everybody suspicious, apologize if a mistake is made.

5 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

That's a Big IF if they unnersten u .😊

Archived