Covid -19 Tests

It had to happen sometime I guess - 2 Top Stories running side by side on ThaiVisa:-

"COVID - 19 TEST TO BE MANDATORYFOR ALL VISA EXTENSIONS"

"NO NEED FOR COVID - 19 TEST TO EXTEND VISA SAYS PHUKET IMMIGRATION'

Is it any wonder that visitors/tourists (and prospective ones!)  to this country shake their heads in disbelief at the fact that 2 different Immigration Offices issue such misleading information? 

22 minutes ago, petermik said:

Give it another day or so and some brainf*rt will come up with another proposal....:whistling:

Compulsory vaccinations for all extensions probably.

All farangs will have to have a large 'V' tattooed in the middle of their foreheads to show they have been done. 

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Phuket was correct. Bangkok back tracked and and has confirmed it is not needed.

Thanks for that Joe! 

The point that I was making is that for years now Immigration rules seem to differ widely from one office to another, and sometimes even within the same office. For goodsness sake, can Head Office not send out clear instructions to every office listing the requirements needed for a given scenario?

For example, according to Head Office, the financial requirements for an extension based on marriage are that the applicant should show:- 

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month.

However, certain Immigration Officers read this as the applicant must show evidence of 12 monthly deposits of not less than 40,000 baht per month.

So, although Head Office say that you can in effect pay a deposit of  60,000 baht one month, and 20,000 the next month, after 12 months your total deposits should total a minimum of 480,000 baht, some Immigration Officers will not accept this, and they stipulate that there  must be a deposit of min 40,000 baht every month .

Just one example of confusion!

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Phuket was correct. Bangkok back tracked and and has confirmed it is not needed.

But your individual Immigration Office can make up it's own rules and regulations and destroys the lives of those of us supporting families.

I hear it over and over again: 
"The Office in XYZ is not following police orders.  What they are doing is not right." 
And yet?  They can deny your extension even if you meet all of the established regulations outlined in the Nationally published Thai Immigration Police Orders - but if they don't want to follow the rules, who does that affect? 
1)The head of immigration at the office that is making up their own rule? - or - 2) those foreigners who find their applications rejected even if they meet the "nationally published guidelines" and possibly found guilty of "overstay" due to this bureaucratic BS that ends up no fault of our own?

I'm not willing to bet my family's existence on this idiocy.  And it is Idiocy as well as an existential threat to the sovreignty of my family whom the Thai government could give a damn about. 
It's not thought out, it's totally reactionary, it's subject to individual interpretation from office to office and IO to IO, and it's non-revocable if you become the target of an individual office or region who doesn't follow the National Immigration Police Orders. 

Back to basics UbonJoe.  Cause I gotta act now.
How many days before my extension expiration date can I apply for my annual extension.  Mine's in the first week of March.  Given that standard operating procedure (SOP) for Thai Immigration is that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing and any office or IO can make up their own rules - I want to submit my application ASAP so I have a maximum amount of time to make contingency plans..  If it looks like a positive Covid pop will get you deported - I'm going to go to Plan B and start moving my assets out of Thailand.
The abject nationalism of this country makes anything uttered by a "minister" or an "authority" totally untrustworthy.

I don't want to end up in the US in two month from now talking to the US Media with a story that goes -
Asymptomatic US Citizen Foreign Head of Household Supporting Thai Family in Thailand for 13 Years Deported Indefinitely After Testing Positive For Covid Which Is Now Is A Legal Cause For Deportation Due To Having A "Prohibited Disease."

11 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Compulsory vaccinations for all extensions probably.

All farangs will have to have a large 'V' tattooed in the middle of their foreheads to show they have been done. 

I just wonder if 'W' might be more appropriate for many?

Archived