Was Thailand ever the number 1 country to retire to because its not now

superal

On 1/20/2021 at 11:55 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Lots of Thais still live on the minimum salary of 300B per day. It's possible.

Obviously many of us spend a lot more than that. But that is our personal choice and the way we want to live. Thailand can be very cheap - if people use those cheap options.

I would certainly go along with that if you are a non drinker, non smoker, and a non monger, and live in a paid for house with no one to support financially.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, Dale75 said:

I had always planned on retiring to India.

Cheap, fabulous food, English widely spoken and in the media, cricket is 24/7, it's a stable democracy and the people love the English.

Then I holidayed in Pattaya and everything changed.

Thailand doesn't come close to the above list but it does have women!

And that was the decider. Sad eh?

Been retired here now for 9 years with wife and child and it's fantastic.

Still miss those Indian curries though....................

Sorry, I misread and edited my post out.

Edited by possum1931

15 hours ago, allanos said:

India does not have a retirement visa per se, nor does it allow one to own property there as a foreigner. Most visas granted are for 3 months, although there is a 6-month option available, subject to conditions and/ or nationality of the applicant.

Sri Lanka does but it is not cheap.

Like Thailand they don't seem to want retirees, just independently wealthy people.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I would certainly go along with that if you are a non drinker, non smoker, and a non monger, and live in a paid for house with no one to support financially.

As far as I know it's still not a human right to drink alcohol, smoke and monger.

If people can't afford those luxuries then they can't afford it. 'nuff said

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

As far as I know it's still not a human right to drink alcohol, smoke and monger.

If people can't afford those luxuries then they can't afford it. 'nuff said

Most people who have enough money and more than they need ( my experience) stay away from mongering, drinking and smoking, and choose a healthy lifestyle instead. But we all have different perspective and goals of fun and what we like to do the last few decades we spending here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Sri Lanka does but it is not cheap.

Like Thailand they don't seem to want retirees, just independently wealthy people.

Heard some good reports from expats in SL , not a cheap Charlie country , need $15000 deposit and monthly income minimum $1500 via international transfer plus $7500 per month per dependent . Initial retirement visa is for 2 years with  a 6 monthly income check . 5 year visa available nut not cheap . I believe the marriage visa is much cheaper.   They say a beautiful country with a temperate climate in the hills if preferred .

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Mexico didn't have a problem with obesity until the 1980s. Now they are among the most obese nations in the world.

Their traditional foods are actually quite healthy and still available.

However the explosion of obesity is attributed to the widespread adoption of modern highly processed foods and sugar particularly in soda drinks..

Also sorry there is no way that you can have an informed opinion about Mexican food based on your extremely limited experience of it.

Think that is very much the case in many countries including Thailand where the majority of over 40 year women are overweight stereotypes 

19 hours ago, allanos said:

India does not have a retirement visa per se, nor does it allow one to own property there as a foreigner. Most visas granted are for 3 months, although there is a 6-month option available, subject to conditions and/ or nationality of the applicant.

Things were quite different before covid, there was e visa , as good as paper visa, it was for multiple years and multiple entries, it would be tourist ofc and u were allowed a max of six months.

lot of westerners live in india, mainly due to cheap costs and weather, dnt know what visa they take. 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Mexico didn't have a problem with obesity until the 1980s. Now they are among the most obese nations in the world.

Their traditional foods are actually quite healthy and still available.

However the explosion of obesity is attributed to the widespread adoption of modern highly processed foods and sugar particularly in soda drinks..

Also sorry there is no way that you can have an informed opinion about Mexican food based on your extremely limited experience of it.

You may be right. Having said that, not a cuisine I took to with enthusiasm. OTOH, Japanese, Thai, Italian, Greek and Indonesian dishes are definitely on my shopping list.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah based on the modern Thai diet I'm surprised that Thailand isn't much more obese. But that's the direction they're heading in.

Not in the villages IME, they can't afford it. Still rice, vegetables and protein anywhere they can get it. Certainly for the more affluent Thais.

IMG20201017081324.jpg

Kinda not impressed with title.

Why anybody  after lifetime of working in one country want to settle in another instead of trying to see the world.

Then there is big point if you single or married or some obsessed with food.

When I see poll about best places to retire I just skip--best?--you retire where you can afford to retire not counting natural disasters like Covid19. 

Plus personal preferences and luck matters.

Yes, I want to retire in Italy where I see civilization and not India. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Many people who live now in Thailand visited many countries in their life. And then they decided they want to stay mostly in Thailand.

Maybe there is somewhere a "better" place out there. But should we really travel around the globe looking for the perfect place when we found already a pretty good place to live?

Visiting is one thing but you need to live in a country before you really know what it is like. People who have visited a country have little idea as to what that country is really like

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Things were quite different before covid, there was e visa , as good as paper visa, it was for multiple years and multiple entries, it would be tourist ofc and u were allowed a max of six months.

lot of westerners live in india, mainly due to cheap costs and weather, dnt know what visa they take. 

I have a 10 year multiple entry tourist visa to India. For each entry, I can stay for only 180 days.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Are these westerners in India there for cheap and easy sex just like their sexually frustrated brethren who migrate half way across the world to Pattaya?  I was only briefly in India one time so I have no personal knowledge.  But I'm acquainted with a hard core alcohol, prescription drug and sex addict who spent two weeks in India at an IT training seminar and he said didn't get laid.  This guy is good looking and dresses well and has no trouble pulling birds in the US and SE Asia so I was a little surprised.  Shocked actually that this total degenerate didn't find a way to engage in some form of sexual activity whether free or for a fee during the course of two weeks.

6 hours ago, Pro1Expat said:

I assume you don't really like Thailand, would that be a fair comment?

No it wouldn't be a fair comment at all. 

If I didn't like it I certainly wouldn't be putting up with one of the worst air pollution on the planet.