Neo Pattaya: Project to transform resort into state the art metropolis begins - starting with Walking Street

rooster59

19 hours ago, Histavia said:

I believe there are some kind of squatters' right involved. Most development there was before proper land mapping and ownership took place too.

The other problem is what remains when / destruction took place....beach? Mud, drains or another inappropriate built monstrosity that destabilise  the coast even more?

Well from their plans it looks like the ocean side buildings will be staying...Sort of....

That is after they chop the ends of the longer buildings off and build a walkway on the water around them..........

I cant figure out the purpose of this hair brained idea......

Walking street is for well you know WALKING.....Why build another walkway to walk on?

Cutting off the ends of those buildings will destroy those businesses...

All this needless busybody stuff they are planning reminds me of the Central Festival Food Court.......

From the first day it opened it was packed....High Season, Low Season, No Season that food court was doing a roaring trade....

I would say it was the most successful eating establishment in all of Pattaya and possibly all of Thailand... That place was a money printing machine.....

But outrageous success could not be left well enough alone.....

They felt the need to fix what was not broken and make it upscale and hi-so friendly......

After the remodel the food court has lost I would guess 95% of the business they had before.....

Walking Street could learn something here.......

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Well from their plans it looks like the ocean side buildings will be staying...Sort of....

That is after they chop the ends of the longer buildings off and build a walkway on the water around them..........

Walking street is for well you know WALKING.....Why build another walkway to walk on?

All this needless busybody stuff they are planning reminds me of the Central Festival Food Court.......

From the first day it opened it was packed....High Season, Low Season, No Season that food court was doing a roaring trade....

I would say it was the most successful eating establishment in all of Pattaya and possibly all of Thailand... That place was a money printing machine.....

They felt the need to fix what was not broken and make it upscale and hi-so friendly......

After the remodel the food court has lost I would guess 95% of the business they had before.....

The planning issue is that a lot of businesses have extended and are overhanging the beach, including the pattaya beer garden and a lot of the restaurants.

The parts of the building on the main surface are not the problem, but it does limit their size, possibly only enough for small cafes and trinket shops

To stop any future encroachment they want to turn this overhang into a walkway - but I am sure this will get filled with tables in no time

Edited by crobe

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

You are totally right

the Central festival food court failure should

be studied in all business schools, the perfect example of

what you don't have\need to do, except if you want lose a lot

of money and most of your customers

1 hour ago, crobe said:

The planning issue is that a lot of businesses have extended and are overhanging the beach, including the pattaya beer garden and a lot of the restaurants.

The parts of the building on the main surface are not the problem, but it does limit their size, possibly only enough for small cafes and trinket shops

To stop any future encroachment they want to turn this overhang into a walkway - but I am sure this will get filled with tables in no time

I think even the parts of the building on the main surface are a problem

where do you think all the used water and others fluids from the kitchen

and toilets go? Can you imagine the thousands of liters of p...ss in one night in

this area? do you think it goes uphill on the other side of the road or directly into

the seawater just below? The authorities should use these hygienic reasons to buldoze the lot

and i don't even talk about the safety problem with the state of the foundations pilars, it\s just

an accident waiting for happens

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nout said:

Patpong Rd..?...What does this actually mean? Anybody who actually knows Bangkok night life knows Patpong 1 and 2 are effectively dead. In Pattaya the reality is that many WS activities will relocat to areas past second road. As has already started in LKM and Soi Buakhao. This process started over 15 years ago....Covid has speeded it up.

Totally agree with that - I remember watching LKM being built - I once stayed in a hotel there (now long gone) and you could see the way things were headed then.

For me, Walking St has long been a "once a trip visit" whereas I have FUN in LKM and Soi Buakhao.  YMMV of course. ????

• Like 1

On 26/01/2021 at 11:43 AM, jacko45k said:

And I thought it was all illegal construction as the beaches are public property.

Not public property....there may be a case that intertidal beach is common land or property of the crown/state or something like that. However it would be impossible to define "beach" as that space would change on a day basis.

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Totally agree with that - I remember watching LKM being built - I once stayed in a hotel there (now long gone) and you could see the way things were headed then.

For me, Walking St has long been a "once a trip visit" whereas I have FUN in LKM and Soi Buakhao.  YMMV of course. ????

Leng Kee family own most of the land between 2and and 2rd road.   I imagine they will have some influence on how the future of Pattaya pans out..... havent seen anything very imaginative from that side though ....

• Like 1

It's sadly laughable what's happened in Thailand, knocked down or closed all the best tourist spots and now they've just realized what was pulling in all those tourists with all that lovely money that was floating the whole boat......  I knew it was over when they knocked down Cheap Charlies in Bkk then carried on down Soi 11 and killed the lot.......    Talk about stupid ?  World class.........  Vaccine passports now ?...... They'd be lucky to get people back if they dropped the whole nightmare of hurdles they've put up and paid them to come ....... You can forget quarantine and health insurance........ Better get back to the good old days of welcoming anybody in with enough money to support themselves then try again not to be so monumentally stupid...... 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I think even the parts of the building on the main surface are a problem

where do you think all the used water and others fluids from the kitchen

and toilets go? Can you imagine the thousands of liters of p...ss in one night in

this area? do you think it goes uphill on the other side of the road or directly into

the seawater just below? The authorities should use these hygienic reasons to buldoze the lot

and i don't even talk about the safety problem with the state of the foundations pilars, it\s just

an accident waiting for happens

It goes under the grating at the entrance of the beer gardens, lovely stench!

world class, 

if they haven’t been able to tackle this monumental task, the other plans are highly doubtful.

10 hours ago, Histavia said:

Not public property....there may be a case that intertidal beach is common land or property of the crown/state or something like that. However it would be impossible to define "beach" as that space would change on a day basis.

I believe there is a definition and sand is not the important factor.... but either way, if one could take a stroll under the buildings located an the seaward side of Walking St, it would fit the definition. My first ever Pattaya hotel was one of them, rooms built on a pier out over the sea.... very pleasant. 

With regard to the buildings on the sea side of Walking Street, it was my understanding that they were encroaching on crown property, ie: the coastline, similar sort of offence to encroaching on national park land, the problem appears to be a mixture of influential people, Chanotes that may or may not be what they appear & the length of time they have been in situ.

I could be wrong but have been reading about this for a long long time.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 12:20 PM, crobe said:

"Walking Street is set to become a “modern entertainment area” with walking areas, recreation, shops and restaurants."

So none of the existing entertainment businesses then?

Possibly a future for the Avenue after all

Pattaya could become   a major International ski resort.

Ideal for the Winter olympics ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/01/2021 at 1:26 PM, davidcraig said:

With 5,000 to 10,000 stray dogs invading many of Pattaya's streets, it's going to be rather difficult to attract families of tourists. Just wait till a few more children get attacked by packs of stray dogs and the media reports this then families will avoid the place and the stray dogs can take over the city.

In certain parts of the North East dog's dissappear overnight, trucks have been spotted loaded with dogs headed for Borders where they will be eaten. 

This might solve the problem for the Chinese developers. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm wondering if they will be charging an entrance fee to enter Walking Street.  Seems like the only way the strip is going to make money in the future.

That never even worked out for the GGBs..... and how did it go for that awful floating market place?

Edited by jacko45k

7 hours ago, olfu said:

I dont understand this noise about Walking street. Plenty of other places to have fun and with minimum salaries like 300 Bt my bet of 3000 Bt always gives me winning time for short time.

Viva soi6!

Before covid you could take a freelancer in I-bar\ insomnia on Walking street

for half the price she was asking few hours before when she was still working in 

her bar in soi 6. It's just an example showing that your post doesn't make a lot of sense

You could have fun for less money evereywhere in Pattaya, including WS

you just have to know where to go, to be patient, not too picky and of course a little bit lucky.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That never even worked out for the GGBs..... and how did it go for that awful floating market place?

They are going to have to get some money from the flag following Chinese tour groups.  Currently, (pre covid) they get to see Walking Street for free.  

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Rodbayne94 said:

Pattaya it just needs to be what it was before, just that, an adult vacation resort, beaches, bar and a good company girl

What it was before ,  No thanks ..

9 hours ago, elliss said:

What it was before ,  No thanks ..

Go back far enough, it was pretty good actually. But nobody can turn my clock back too. 

• Like 1