Neo Pattaya: Project to transform resort into state the art metropolis begins - starting with Walking Street

rooster59

2 hours ago, Spellforce said:

It is quite possible that Chinese investors will buy a lot of bankrupt businesses on WS. Everything could then go very quickly.
Let's not forget that covid has had almost no economic impact on China.

You have to remember a bankrupt business doesn't equate to a bankrupt property.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, ginjag said:

Will they choose this moment to bulldoze down ALL the illegal businesses built over the beach in Walking Street ???

infact  it should read "bulldoze down ALL their illegal businesses..."

• Like 2

For a metropolis to thrive and even exist it will not only require infrastructure but trade and commerce. I see neither in Pattaya as of the moment, take away the tourist and sex industry and the town has little to help it survive. Pattaya needs to have a manufacturing hub and attract big commerce from Bangkok. Relocating for some large organisation would give many benefits and cost saving. Staff would be able to afford better housing at much cheaper prices, breathe cleaner air and not sit for hours in traffic jams. School would also be cheaper and probably more accessible. In other countries governments offer business and workers incentives to decentralise Thailand should consider the same instead of aiming for the moon for no tangible reason. This may also be one way Bangkok can ease the current population and traffic problems it has which will continue to grow unless the Government takes some affirmative action now.

• Haha 1

80 billion ? Monorail cost 50 billion ,which will take donkeys years,, 20 billion on drains and sewage which should have been done years ago ! Redoing Walking street before Chinese New Year which is I think the 12th February does this mean scrubbing the streets ? 
No actual redoing of the ugly second road , the dangling wires, the traffic infested polluted seafront. Pavements are dangerous. Let’s face it, Pattaya city center is an ugly shambles. I know you have to start somewhere, but you’d have to bulldoze Pattaya completely to make it attractive.  Baring the Monorail, this work and embellishments should have all been done generally over the past years . 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Polluting vehicles besides us and a polluting monorail above us sounds very wonderful.. What’s wrong with ordinary city trams?

I would expect a monorail would be electric. As for trams - 34 km are proposed. 

2 hours ago, Spellforce said:

It is quite possible that Chinese investors will buy a lot of bankrupt businesses on WS. Everything could then go very quickly.

Yup, Chinese monorail connecting with Chinese high speed train...i can see it going the way of Sihanoukville...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It is time for a change in Pattaya. If the old entertainment places still have a demand, they will find a place. Hopefully in an area where young children do not have to walk in the middle of adult nightlife. The worst thing they can do is ban the nightlife and make it go underground.  It is interesting here in Thailand how things reinvent themselves.

The new sewers and improving transport are good news and the sooner the better before tourists return. If they want to change from a sex town and drive out farangs, they need to see what the Chinese are attracted to. Then find something that other cities are not doing. Pattaya already had its niche, why risk losing it by becoming yet another boring resort? Years of building at huge cost, I can't see any gains for years to come. Then it would only take a little disagreement, between Thailand and the ccp, for it all to go tits up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

They are aware that Chinese New Year is on the 12th February, so anybody not in Quarantine by next Wednesday isn't going to make the celebrations... 

But, if they ever wanted to re-invent Pattaya (especially the beach area & Walking Street) then now is the time to do it... Hopefully it will be ready for CNY 2022

Chinese people don't have to quarantine 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Deli said:

The final nail in the coffin of this once great place. But... won't happen anyhow in this lifetime. Keep on rocking...

The only time it was a great place was when it really was a fishing village. Sex tourist mega attractions with the associated crime, drugs, disease and exploitation are never 'great'.

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

It is interesting here in Thailand how things reinvent themselves.

I don't see much in the way of invention just copying what everywhere else is doing. Thailand was outstanding at what it was. Now it is just another Spain living on its past reputation while quickly becoming a Chinese only getaway destination. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spellforce said:

Well, that is what they are telling us, anyway. A close friend who lived in China for many years, and maintains close friendships with many Chinese and ex-pats who currently live there, say the impact has been dramatic. Exports and manufacturing are way down. And many are hurting. 

• Like 2

While they're at it, can they close Beach Road to all traffic except for deliveries, pave it over, make it a pleasant place to walk without constant traffic jams and exhaust fumes. You know, like many other seaside resorts around the world. Second Road is easily wide enough to take two-way traffic.

22 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

The only time it was a great place was when it really was a fishing village. Sex tourist mega attractions with the associated crime, drugs, disease and exploitation are never 'great'.

Personally I preferred Samui but I still totally disagree with you. If I wanted to see a dreary fishing port I can do that here and there is certainly nothing great about them. I first went to Pattaya in 2000 and it most definitely was great and well worth flying 6000 miles to EXPERIENCE in all its glory - good and bad. Went back about 8 years ago with my wife and her friends - all had a good  time. 

If they actually rebuild it as a super modern city (in my lifetime) with lots of high tech. I may want to see it but it is never going to happen. 

• Like 1