Samut Sakhon finds 914 new COVID-19 infections

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Keesters said:
3 hours ago, Rockhound said:

How many of us know anyone who is ill with Covid now?  I don't know anyone.

I've been asking that question regulary since it all began. Face to face and online all report ZERO. Around 1,000 contacts worldwide all ZERO. 

"... around 1,000 contacts world wide? ..."

FB friends don't count.

13 hours ago, Guderian said:

They're going to need a lot more than 60,000 tests when they finally realise that it's already spread from Samut Sakhon and is rife in Bangkok. Shut down the big mango now, and stop its residents from travelling out to infect the rest of the country. The CCSA  has completely dropped the ball on this one. 

Oh dear it was to be expected more tests more positives makes sense

24 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Many are possibly old and locally they assume they died of old age.

Possibly? the average age of death is around 80 I think. The CDC reports their numbers in age categories if you want to try to estimate the average age. Why isn't this information front and center I wonder??? Knowing who is  actually at risk would be nice to know but they've decided that global lockdown is a better idea I guess...

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The question all of us want to know, is that province locked down tighter than San Quentin? And the answer is likely no, due to the influence of the seafood industry. Forget the seafood. Nobody comes in or out. If the authorities cared. This all happened due to sheer stupidity and stunning greed. Thailand is really going into a world of hurt now. Tourism will not recover for years and domestic tourism just died. Millions of jobs lost. And the truly astonishing aspect of this, that few seem to be discussing, is that this could have been at least partly avoided, had Prayuth and Anutin, two stunningly incompetence men, taken action early, and decisively. Instead, the whole country is made to suffer the consequences of inaction, of not locking down ground zero, Samut Sakhon (just a relatively small section of the province, actually) the first day of the second outbreak. It is beyond comprehension. It should have been locked down like a maximum security penitentiary. Cordoned off. Nobody comes in or out. And can anyone guess why it wasn't? It is one of the largest seafood distribution centers in Thailand, and it would have meant the loss of a small fortune, for some. So, it came down to sacrificing a large fortune, and the nations economy, for a relatively small out of money, coming from those seafood sales. Nothing else makes sense. No other explanation means anything, or comes close to breaking down why this action as not decisively taken. Sure, the main market was closed. But, people were allowed to travel freely, and become super spreaders. Just incredibly dumb policy and a nearly unforgivable lack of action. 

You make some good points but with the collapse of tourism, processed seafood exports have taken on a great deal more importance when Thailand rejigs its 2020/21 GDP.

How long has this Samut Sakhon spike or cluster being going on for now? Almost a month already? Maybe longer? Meanwhile, the daily infection count still mounts up. This with Thailand's officially closed borders. I can only assume that the pipeline(s) of Myanmar labor is still open, maybe not as wide or as many as before but they certainly haven't been closed. This is pure corruption and yes, the moribund Thai economy and the seafood manufacturers are nominal beneficiaries but not near as much as those in government service who facilitate it.

Nothing to see here, move along now.

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

So how do you know about them?

For this outbreak we can surely thank the Elite who needed to save around 200 baht a day per Burmese labourer over Thai labourer that they are supposed to 'Love' ( Thai rak Thai ) .

They used corrupt officials  to get the infected Burmese  on-site  without the pesky expense of paying for their  Quarantine , and continue to use corruption to  avoid any repercussions , and the Thai Government say and do  nothing about it all.

Every Thai taxpayer and business in Thailand  is now paying for their greed and it is  they that  should be bankrupted  by being made to pay for treatments.

Exactly what I have been saying, and posting, well spoken. 

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Twisting words again.  What he said was "What was it Sunday ? Found 5000, Monday found another 900 - where are they on worldometer ?", So this past Sunday two days ago, and then yesterday (Monday) and what was reported last night from Samut Sakhon was 900....so please stay on task, as the worldometer has not been updated with Thai Numbers that include those from Samut Sakhon

image.png.f671d26ec071d3bf0c7da563f9564724.png

Did Thailand's official daily statistical report state there was 5000 last Sunday, 900 yesterday? Tuesday's stats when they are officially released will invariably contain at least 914 that were reported before midnight on Monday.

Friday's stats:

saturday23.jpg.a5c0fbbd85ae6f4745334ba4087df904.jpg

Saturday's stats:

sunday24.jpg.c841855d917b84f425f1943560c22a97.jpg

Sunday's stats:

monday25.jpg.8d236c2ba7722cc45045e2b2ff03047b.jpg

It looks like some people see the late afternoon or early evening numbers in the media and scream why they haven't been included in the daily numbers already announced maybe 6 hours earlier. Some people don't realize that when these official numbers are released around mid-day, they are up to and including midnight THE PREVIOUS DAY. That's exactly the same numbers as shown in the current worldometers report.

AFAIK, there's never been a 5000 daily count and the 914 that are the subject matter of the OP will be announced very shortly in today's presentation that covers yesterday.

Edited by NanLaew

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Did Thailand's official daily statistical report state there was 5000 last Sunday, 900 yesterday? Tuesday's stats when they are officially released will invariably contain at least 914 that were reported before midnight on Monday.

Friday's stats:

saturday23.jpg.a5c0fbbd85ae6f4745334ba4087df904.jpg

Saturday's stats:

sunday24.jpg.c841855d917b84f425f1943560c22a97.jpg

Sunday's stats:

monday25.jpg.8d236c2ba7722cc45045e2b2ff03047b.jpg

It looks like some people see the late afternoon or early evening numbers in the media and scream why they haven't been included in the daily numbers already announced maybe 6 hours earlier. Some people don't realize that when these official numbers are released around mid-day, they are up to and including midnight THE PREVIOUS DAY.

AFAIK, there's never been a 5000 daily count and the 914 that are the subject matter of the OP will be announced very shortly in today's presentation that covers yesterday.

Lets hope they are, as in the past numbers have been un-reported from Samut Sakhon and reported in a weekly batch.

Finally some real numbers are coming.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. If that is 900 in one day, the true rate of infection is higher.

They must have bought some new testing kits. They are gonna need a shed load more very very soon.

• Like 1

They call them 'migrant workers' but the majority, at least in the north, are undocumented Burmese. When we built our home in Saraphi (C Mai) nearly all our workers (employed by the Thai builder) were Burmese, including women. I actually made the effort to learn some Burmese, as most were Thai-Yai or just Burmese with little spoken Thai. Hard grafters too. Most told me they had just paid a small bribe and come in. I'd be surprised if they are not employed right across LOS and, not just in the seafood industry. My commiserations to the chap who lost his mum to Covid in the UK. My mum has passed, but I have not visited my own father for well over a year - too dangerous as he is 98 and "safe" in a little rural town, bless him. He survived 5 years as a fighter pilot in WW11 - I'd never forgive myself if I gave him this horrid disease. 

1 hour ago, dogfish180 said:

Well said. Also add the fact that most Thais living in remote rural areas die at home, and not in hospital. Then a funeral takes place with no autopsies being performed. So no one really knows what they died from.

They died from death. It's typically fatal even in unique Thailand.

In our Isaan moobahn, there's been no increase in the seasonal expirations of the (previously) sick and the elderly, ie . the ones that were expected to kick the bucket after last season's natural age and illness attrition was over. It's the usual menu of maleng, tup kaeng from the ethnic diet of lao-khao and plar-ra. That and whatever the Thai word for tuberculosis-linked pleural effusion is.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lets hope they are, as in the past numbers have been un-reported from Samut Sakhon and reported in a weekly batch.

Me too. I think that some of these wilder numbers that have been mentioned but never made it to official tallies aren't being willfully hidden. I reckon it may be gossip, rumor or hearsay that's probably being misreported by eager-to-please or neophyte local media reporters?

I think all the nation's have a weekly or monthly national review and round-up of their figures, especially after the weekends when if one was to believe the graphs implicitly, it appears Covid takes the weekend off. I am not sure if worldometers does a similar back check on official revised numbers or not.

3 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

So feild hospital set up for 2500 and yesterday nearly 1000 test positive, its not going to take long to fill this. 

I heard that they're bringing in another batch of Myanmar labor to construct some more.

Sorted!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

As a comparison with neighbors seven day averages for Laos and Cambodia are zero and three respectively.   Job well done!  Before anyone tries to claim Laos and Cambodia aren't as transparent as Thailand don't bother - the "if Thailand were lying about their numbers there would be full hospitals and bodies in the streets" crowd will be along to shout you down seeing as how there are no full hospitals or bodies in the streets in Laos or Cambodia either.

Ridiculous comment, are there bodies on the streets of the UK, France, Germany etc?

Do you actually believe Lao and Cambodia's statistics? Take a look at Malaysia's statistics and maybe you will realise there is not a magic security blanket surrounding Thailand.

Same old story check a few find a few = hospitals not full. check a lot find a lot =? It ain't rocket science is it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Watching TNN 16 now, waiting for the Government Spokesman who I thought was in quarantine to give the numbers....Bam +959 for the day

Good timely update.

For those conspiracy theorists that swear by worldometers and claim Thailand is hiding stuff, their graphed data hasn't been updated yet (that annoying +7 hours UTC thing again) but, if you scroll down, they do include the just-released CCSA figures in an update.

update.jpg.4aab2370de8c1c14e15609306b4fa91d.jpg

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Health officials on Monday reported 914 new COVID-19 infections in Samut Sakhon following the start of widespread testing which will eventually see almost 60,000 people in the province tested for the virus.

The key words?  Widespread Testing

If Thailand adopts Widespread Testing to all the other provinces suddenly they'll find the pandemic which has been alluding the country up to this point.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Tests are mainly being carried out among the migrant worker population in the province at factories and dormitories.

Wait for it!  Wait for it! 
<Drum Roll> 
Next In Line For Widespread Testing..................
Foreign Expats 
<Cymbal crash, slide whistle>

20 minutes ago, connda said:

The key words?  Widespread Testing

If Thailand adopts Widespread Testing to all the other provinces suddenly they'll find the pandemic which has been alluding the country up to this point.

The pandemic (the key word here being 'pan' meaning everywhere) is already IN Thailand. The low mortality or possible higher incidence of asymptomatic infection here doesn't change anything. Or do you clamor to have 'up there' numbers like your homeland? Overcrowded hospitals and stacks of bodies in freezers and crematoriums nationwide burning 24/7? Please explain how can that possibly happen? How can widespread testing "uncover" anything meaningful?

Apart from some questionable routes for illegal cross-border migration, the country has locked itself away from the broader routes of infection borne of Western nations that felt obliged to allow people to do non-essential travel.

Oh surprise, you test for Covid and find people infected. Now extend this scheme to all over the country and you'll see the real situation.

Took the authorities more than a year to find out. They are real genius' , aren't they.

Still, nothing to worry. If people would be seriously sick, the ICUs would be full. So mostly mild or asymptomatic cases.

• Like 2