Start of inoculations in Thailand delayed due to EU export restrictions

webfact

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That is of course true, but can be expected in this more and more nationalistic climate.

But I have my doubts about what Anutin says.

So far, the EU has not yet restricted exports of vaccine. That restriction is a treath against the UK: The UK factory of Astrazenica refuses to send vaccine to the EU, so now the EU threatens to block the deliveries of Pfizer Belgium to the UK. Other countries are not involved.

You forgot the French vaccine that failed at the first hurdle and has bern scrapped.  The two Eu Astra Zeneca plant that have manufacturing problems.  That is why the EU is short.

the EU ordered its AZ vaccine 3 mnths late and AZ points that out to them and it sectioned.!!italy and germany both wished t order the same time as brits but were stopped by brussels.now it appears thailand suffers as a result of this appalling behaviour,150k doses isnt gonna change much though.blasting mahachai would be a good place to start though

• Like 1

Prediction. This will be the next delay headlines. Problems at our AztraZeneca production facility at Bio Science Thailand mean there will be some delays to delivery. 

Problem then is that nobody can go one to question Bio Science as it belongs to you know who.

As far as I'm aware they've not even started production yet, about a week ago the head of Thailand Vaccine Institute said they are still perfecting the doses having received all the required ingredients and technology transfer from the UK. The doses have to be made in batches and each batch has to reach the same quality standards, they are in the process of making test batches for this.

1 hour ago, spiekerjozef said:

Seems like they all have to wait till May.

Pharmaceutical companies lied about distribution, as always they were more interested in filling their own pockets first instead of actually helping people.

Not so. The Astra Zeneca vaccine is being sold at cost.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

We have been told the cost was 2,000thb in Thailand though? 

Based on the contract between Oxford University (the developer of the vaccine) and AstraZeneca, the vaccine has to be sold by AstraZeneca at cost. Few people will get their jab from AstraZeneca directly.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So much for the bureaucratic EU ! Hopefully all these companies will now move to the UK where they can do normal business without EU officialdom telling them who, where and when they can ship their goods ! 

But has UK got enough vaccines to use on their own people first?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Not really such a big deal, after all, 50,000 doses for 25,000 people!!! It was never a great start to Thailand's vaccination plan anyway. They went cap in hand for this measly number of vaccines after realizing they've dropped the ball. They should should have accepted the offer of 2 million doses of the same vaccine from India, it would have been here by now!!

I agree. The 50,000 doses was a PR stunt aimed at diverting attention away from the fact that Thailand was too slow to reserver vaccines.

It was a useless rounding error, but now even that rounding error is in doubt.

My only hope now is that the Chinese vaccine gets here first and those Government officials that want to show solidarity are forced publicly to take that vaccine.

Fail.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

That is of course true, but can be expected in this more and more nationalistic climate.

But I have my doubts about what Anutin says.

So far, the EU has not yet restricted exports of vaccine. That restriction is a treath against the UK: The UK factory of Astrazenica refuses to send vaccine to the EU, so now the EU threatens to block the deliveries of Pfizer Belgium to the UK. Other countries are not involved.

Incorrect.   The EU are introducing export controls on any vaccines manufactured within their bloc.   This then could affect any non EU nation, including the UK.   The principle problem that the EU has had is requiring agreement amongst it's 27 members to enact any procurement action has meant delays.   That and poor distribution of several countries to the public, France in particular.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Perhaps you should read this before shouting 'rubbish'.

AstraZeneca, which has promised not to profit from its Covid-19 vaccine “during the pandemic”, has the right to declare an end to the pandemic as soon as July 2021, according to an agreement with a manufacturer.

https://www.ft.com/content/c474f9e1-8807-4e57-9c79-6f4af145b686

Perhaps you should have quoted me in its entirety as the rubbish remark was to another ridiculous statement you alleged and have not backed up.

Regards the AZ vaccine and the at cost till the end of the pandemic. This is the only company in the world that is supplying the vaccines at cost till the pandemic is over and you still have a beef with that, I wonder why?

Of course they intend to make money, its a company, it has to make money, if they decide the pandemic is over then it will be in consultation with Oxford University and WHO. Just because they have a right to call the pandemic over by July 2021 you are assuming they will. Speculation and a firm bias against AZ is evident from you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, faraday said:

The ft link is behind a paywall, so I've posted this:

https://www.fiercepharma.com/pharma/astrazeneca-puts-a-time-limit-its-covid-19-no-profit-pledge-report

How AZ decides on when the pandemic is over, seems vague to say the least.

However, as we all know, big pharma just aren't the benevolent companies that many believe they are.

Shock, horror!! Commercial enterprise wants to trade profitably.

So countries have 5 more months to place orders. Seems to be plenty of time to me.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

AZ has given them the blueprint to make a good vaccine. Within 6 months they'll be making more than enough for Thailand and also for surrounding countries.

Thumbs down to EU.

Well that's still very slow.

This won't be the last global pandemic.

There needs to be much better international cooperation to make vaccine access more equitable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thaiophil said:

It still baffles me why Thailand doesn’t seem interested in negotiating for other viable vaccines; Pfizer, Moderna, Novavax. Indonesia and the Philippines are trying to get as many as possible

I have a very good idea what it's about - price per dose.

The AZ vaccine is cheap and easy to transport and deploy, the others are much more expensive and harder to move and use.

• Like 1