Start of inoculations in Thailand delayed due to EU export restrictions

webfact

They didn't have a go on Pfizer, because it was a planned one week slowdown due to upgrade of their facility to produce even more vaccines. 

Also, The EU paid money months before receiving any vaccines, so that AZ could build and make their facilities. It also states in the contract that any problems should be informed on as soon as possible, and if problems, the EU would other facilities to AZ. The EU was not informed of problems from AZ, and the EU is believing that AZ is sending vaccines from their EU plant to the UK and other places instead of fullfilling their contract with them. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Start of inoculations in Thailand delayed due to EU export restrictions

Anutin-ch.jpg

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul

Delivery by air of the first shipment of 50,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine from Italy has hit a snag, due to the European Union’s recently imposed restriction on the export of the vaccine, causing Thailand’s plan to commence vaccination on February 14th to be postponed, Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told the media Thursday afternoon, following a meeting of the national vaccine committee.

Despite the delay, he expressed confidence that the first consignment will still arrive in Thailand in February, adding that it will be followed by another 100,000 doses from Italy.

Initially, the vaccine is intended for the frontline medics responsible for the screening of people and for the treatment of those regarded as being at the highest risk of becoming infected.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/start-of-inoculations-in-thailand-delayed-due-to-eu-export-restrictions/

Logo-top-.png

There are presently no restrictions. They are thinking about doing it. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Wow.

Thailand is really getting the short end of the stick on this one.

The vaccine nationalism going on is truly tragic as without timely global vaccinations, the world won't be on a path of recovery. 

No export restrictions yet. EU is thinking about it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, godonnet said:

They didn't have a go on Pfizer, because it was a planned one week slowdown due to upgrade of their facility to produce even more vaccines. 

Also, The EU paid money months before receiving any vaccines, so that AZ could build and make their facilities. It also states in the contract that any problems should be informed on as soon as possible, and if problems, the EU would other facilities to AZ. The EU was not informed of problems from AZ, and the EU is believing that AZ is sending vaccines from their EU plant to the UK and other places instead of fullfilling their contract with them. 

You can read the contract now on EU website. EU messed up not Astra.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Albert Zweistein said:

AZ got stuffed, with money. EU paid a couple of hundred millions Euro's in advance for the production cost and now they don't get delivered.

And yes the vaccin has been approved  today by EMA.

no they didn't, they dropped the ball and it went out of the stadium - they argued for months and could not agree on anything - it comes down to - first come first serve and now Brussels are trying the strongarm a private company that has done nothing wrong, if I was AZ I would give Brussels the middle finger and tell them to get stuffed - if they don't like getting stuffed and continue down this nonsense path then I would stop production close up shop and move to the UK were they wouldn't face this total ##

Albert - where are you from lol

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, smedly said:

no they didn't, they dropped the ball and it went out of the stadium - they argued for months and could not agree on anything - it comes down to - first come first serve and now Brussels are trying the strongarm a private company that has done nothing wrong, if I was AZ I would give Brussels the middle finger and tell them to get stuffed - if they don't like getting stuffed and continue down this nonsense path then I would stop production close up shop and move to the UK were they wouldn't face this total ##

Albert - where are you from lol

abc.news.go.com : EU paid 2.7 billion euro's to several pharma compagnies including AZ to back the rapid development and ramp up the production potential of several vaccines.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AmySeeker said:

AstraZeneca was funded and supported by the British, hence they are going to get some privileges of the vaccine - in the way the USA is being given huge doses of Pfizer and Moderna.

Well, the Astra in AstraZeneca is/was a swedish company emerging with Zeneca some time ago. The Astra part is still about 40 % of the company and still mainains production plants in Sweden. So you can say it´s really a part swedish company. Sweden has made no clamis to be first in line for the vaccine.
A large part of the vaccine is made in EU countries. If UK had EU companies making vaccine  in UK i would imagine the UK would be quick to seize it in case of a shortage.

The UK was quick to acknowledge the AZ vaccine. Many say this was because the UK cut corners at the risk of the future users. All in a competitive spirit EU refused to take part in.

• Like 2

Assuming contract as in place and solid, I see massive law suits ahead...

...meanwhile in Thailand, a company was awarded a manufacturing contract stating they could deliver 200million doses of the vaccine per year, may not in fact be able to...but even if there are contracts...nothing will happen...and we all know why.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hardly surprising that countries put their own citizen's life first, is it? Of course they use their power to achieve this. This is just one of many situations to come where the UK will feel the negative effects of leaving the EU.

As was pointed out by another poster, other countries (Thailand...) did the same in the past.

• Like 1

It is so lucky for Thais who are worried about side effects that most  are probably not getting any vaccines from the government even this year.  They will have plenty of time to monitor side effects in Burma, Vietnam, Indonesia  and most other countries first. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/30/2021 at 8:23 AM, DLock said:

Assuming contract as in place and solid, I see massive law suits ahead...

...meanwhile in Thailand, a company was awarded a manufacturing contract stating they could deliver 200million doses of the vaccine per year, may not in fact be able to...but even if there are contracts...nothing will happen...and we all know why.

According to the initial agreement only 26 million doses were supposed to be for Thailand and 174 million for other Southeast Asian countries.  But by the time it is available I expect all the other countries in Asia will no longer need it and Thailand can have all 200 million.

• Like 2