China sharpens language, warns Taiwan that independence 'means war'

webfact

1 hour ago, tgw said:

Mao was a war criminal and guilty of very heavy crimes against humanity during his tenure.

Kudos to Taiwan for what they did achieve.

The US and the rest of the free world need to assert and enforce Taiwan's independence, and also protect the Hong Kong people from treaty breaches by [China].

I can see that the bitter and sad history of China attempt at unification is not your strong suit. I suggest you start with the Qin dynasty and work yourself to Mao's unification. Status quo has served Taiwan well for last 70 years. Don't need US or the rest of the free world to made things worse with no intention of intervening. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

"We warn those 'Taiwan independence' elements: those who play with fire will burn themselves, and 'Taiwan independence' means war," he added.

You've been bleating the same bull for 79 years, since 1949, you know you'll get your butt kicked if you try!

Who's going to kick their butt?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

Mao was a war criminal and guilty of very heavy crimes against humanity during his tenure.

To the people that really matter here, he's a hero.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

Kudos to Taiwan for what they did achieve.

Yes, congratulations on letting yourself become nothing more the biggest domino on the table.

1 hour ago, tgw said:

The US and the rest of the free world need to assert and enforce Taiwan's independence, ...

With regard to Taiwanese legitimacy, around 92.3% of the free world have been quietly sitting on their hands since around 1949. So why get so excited now?

1 hour ago, tgw said:

and also protect the Hong Kong people from treaty breaches by [China].

AFAIK, that horse bolted the stable before 1 July 1997.

42 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I can see that the bitter and sad history of China attempt at unification is not your strong suit. I suggest you start with the Qin dynasty and work yourself to Mao's unification. Status quo has served Taiwan well for last 70 years. Don't need US or the rest of the free world to made things worse with no intention of intervening. 

"unification" carries no positive connotation.

"China attempt at unification" you make it sound like the millions of farmers were dreaming about uniting China while trying to scrape together enough food to live another day.

Justifying Mao's crimes with what long dead dictators did, well done.

Here, a good educational read for you: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/08/03/giving-historys-greatest-mass-murderer-his-due/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While China has never renounced the use of force to bring Taiwan under its control, it is unusual for Beijing to make such overt, verbal threats of conflict."

Who said that. Global Times and the 人民日报 are constantly using sharpens language.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

it will remain status qou as all Presidents agreed to the One-China policy initiated by Nixon. Even Trump in his 2017 phone call with Xi agreed to the One-China policy. This has big implications to how US will handle the Taiwan issue and the defense agreement with Taiwan.  

Who gives a fig for what Trump agreed to. Probably allowed to make a golf course in China if he sided with XI.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

If I was a cynical person I might say that the Chinese are taking advantage and really pushing the boundaries in this pandemic. 

I just wonder if Chine would really go to war over this issue. Chine has become great and powerful due to its trade with the world. They would immediately lose that trade if they became involved in a war with the USA.

3 minutes ago, Trentham said:

I just wonder if Chine would really go to war over this issue. Chine has become great and powerful due to its trade with the world. They would immediately lose that trade if they became involved in a war with the USA.

I mean China. Sorry I am too old to use a keyboard.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Taiwan, claimed by China as its own territory, reported multiple Chinese fighter jets and bombers entering its southwestern air defence identification zone last weekend, prompting Washington to urge Beijing to stop pressuring Taiwan.

I don't think that the times of "stop that, or we'll jump in" from Washington has any influence anymore.

IMO, the US has lost its credibility of being THE Superpower. Trump played a big part in that game. 

Probably right though the carrier group sailing through the straits the other day was a damn good idea.

8 hours ago, WineOh said:

One can only hope that this one day comes to pass.

Let's set the record straight now.. Is Taiwan officially a part of China or not?

If not then surely any attempt to capture it by the Chinese is an act of war in and of itself, and the international community is obliged to take Taiwan's side in any potential conflict that may ensue? ????

pure suicide by any nation stupid enough to try..

7 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Taiwan, claimed by China as its own territory, reported multiple Chinese fighter jets and bombers entering its southwestern air defence identification zone last weekend, prompting Washington to urge Beijing to stop pressuring Taiwan.

I don't think that the times of "stop that, or we'll jump in" from Washington has any influence anymore.

IMO, the US has lost its credibility of being THE Superpower. Trump played a big part in that game. 

imo no nation will risk nuclear war over Taiwan. I also believe no nation really has the cojones to try especially considering they're having a hard enough time just trying to keep ahead of a disease. Can you imagine the outcry if countries time, money and efforts were diverted from fighting this health emergency to fighting for an island off the coast of China? Folks would be stringing up politicians on the lampposts..

9 hours ago, Salerno said:

Perhaps time for a multinational fleet to do a prolonged freedom of navigation mission in the South China Sea.

Couldn't agree more. Will the new government of the US stand up for Taiwan?  The CCP is pushing the button(s) to find out.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Can you imagine the outcry if countries time, money and efforts were diverted from fighting this health emergency to fighting for an island off the coast of China?

Never let the last crisis divert from the next. This might be the best way to get the MSM off the COVID train.

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:

You've been bleating the same bull for 79 years, since 1949, you know you'll get your butt kicked if you try!

It’s a very big ocean between the USA and Taiwan and a very short distance between Taiwan and China.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had hoped the election of Joe Biden would soften relations between the countries--and I still hope it will.  But now after one week with Biden in office, we see China flexing her muscles.  Chinese expansionism must be blunted.  One way to slow them--boycott Chinese products--not easy I know.  But we can all cut back drastically.

Interestingly, the Thai Baht has again followed the Chinese Yuan upward, while the USD, Euro and Pound have languished again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martin71 said:

More countries need to officially recognise Taiwan as an independent nation.... hopefully to get China to wind its neck in..

Probably waiting for UN's cue to recognize Taiwan and stop calling the country "Chinese Taipei". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chilli42 said:

It’s a very big ocean between the USA and Taiwan and a very short distance between Taiwan and China.

Okinawa is in close range! The USA has rebuilt their Pacific Fleet since Pearl Harbour you know!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tug said:

A strong show of force by NATO would be appropriate imo call them at their game 

Assuming their game is being terrible at geography.

NATO is the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation and unless Taiwan plans on moving soon, is rather a long way off the North Atlantic.

• Like 2