China sharpens language, warns Taiwan that independence 'means war'

webfact

23 hours ago, placnx said:

Actually, what's gotten the world's attention is Xi's emphasis on retaking Taiwan by all means necessary. That is not the same as the previous leadership. They might have been thinking it, but did not overtly express it. With Xi's buildup of propaganda promoting nationalism, this is dangerous since the mass of people will think attacking Taiwan is legitimate.

The following scenerio is something that Beijing does not want.  This is where Taiwan declares independence, and China then invades Taiwan, and the USA declares war on China.

You talk about Xi's emphasis on retaking Taiwan by all means necessary. You do accept off-course, that Beijing can harm Taiwan without having to invade them ?

Beijing can very easily slap some serious taxes onto the Taiwan-made goods entering into China, and dis-courage the vast numbers of Chinese tourists turning up in Taiwan. Yes, Beijing can do this, destroy Taiwan's economy, and no country on planet earth will criticise China for doing this. And no country will take any action if this happens.

I won't put up anymore posts on this thread. But if you respond with any post, I will read it.

I leave with this link.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/04/guyana-taiwan-office-agreement-beijing-criticism
A reminder of what's happening.  Taiwan wanted to open an office in Guyana, I seriously don't think it was actually an embassy. Whatever office it was suppose to be, Beijing was not happy, and Guyana stopped the go-ahead for the opening. Do people wish to criticise Guyana for doing this ?  Surely, you reckon  Beijing should have the freedom to carry out such an act ?

• Sad 1