Government arranges to vaccinate 70% of Thais by end of 2022

snoop1130

Government arranges to vaccinate 70% of Thais by end of 2022

dc6febbe8859c9333a95ad55a558666d_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has arranged to vaccinate 70% of Thais against COVID-19 by the end of 2022, not a whole year later.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul insisted that every process has been overseen by medical doctors and experts because the government considers public safety of paramount importance.

He said the government is following the COVID-19 vaccine plan, adding that Thailand has the capability to produce the vaccines locally and does not have to worry about competing over vaccines with other countries.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-01-29

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have a strong opinion on double pricing etc which I strongly disagree with.

However, I am of the option that those foreigners who are not working in Thailand and paying tax don’t really have a claim to ‘free vaccination’ - thus, I think it is acceptable that us foreigners not working in Thailand have to pay for the vaccine. 

If you omit Myanmar, Cambodia & Laos, there are about 490,000 foreigners in Thailand - Us foreigners living in Thailand less than 1% of the population. If we’re not thought about in this context its because in the larger scheme of things when trying to vaccinate a nation we are insignificant. 

Of far greater importance is ensuring labourers and those who may struggle to fend for themselves receive the vaccinations, whereas the rest of us can pay privately for the vaccination or pay at a government hospital.

What I would find objectionable is that if vaccines are not available to foreigners based on nationality.

I think when Thai’s start getting vaccinated in their age brackets (i.e. 80+, then 70 to 80 year old etc) that foreigners who also fall in those same age brackets should also have access to vaccines, even if they have to pay a nominal fee to cover their costs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

And remember, Anutin will be one of the first to receive a dose, just to prove that it's safe for all.

Is Anutin really that old?

in the UK, nd probably many other countries, even illegal immigrants do have an access to free health service. Nobody asks about visa or even passport. Just proof of address, like bank statement, to register at the local clinic and have access to all hospital system.

I would think that all people living in the UK can ask for vax.

I know thailand is poorer, but those few dollars per head is not much. Everybody pays a lot for their visas, as well as paying VAT on all goods and services 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, internationalism said:

this statement doesn't sound too good for millions of non-thai. It well might mean 2023 for them, unless privately up to 10k.

thank you thai government for your nationalism and xenophobia

So my Thai wife and our 2 children are to be vaccinated, and I'm to be left at risk for an indefinite period, even if I was to pay for it, the odds are it would be a different vaccine and thereby run the risk of being non-compatible with what my family has been vaccinated with, as far as I know nobody has carried out cross-vaccine analysis.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, internationalism said:

in the UK, nd probably many other countries, even illegal immigrants do have an access to free health service. Nobody asks about visa or even passport. Just proof of address, like bank statement, to register at the local clinic and have access to all hospital system.

I know thailand is poorer, but those few dollars per head is not much. Everybody pays a lot for their visas, as well as paying VAT on all goods and services 

As I understand it, as a British citizen living overseas and not paying tax in the I need to be living in the UK for 2 years before I have a legal right to free health care under the NHS.

Realistically that is not enforced or checked, but theoretically it could be and I could get charged for treatment.

I am also aware that foreigners are not refused any emergency treatment and the tax payer ’swallows’ the cost, or more accurately, it could be argued that the costs are covered by the money (taxes on spending) foreign visitors spend in the UK. 

In the UK vaccines are currently being issued to those over 80 and soon, those in the 70-80 age bracket, I think its based on National Health registration (in the Uk everyone has a National Insurance / similar to a social security number)

I am not sure if foreigners who are not registered will have access to the vaccine. I suspect, that at some point, when the vaccines open up for everyone, under the ‘emergency treatment’ conditions, any foreigners in the UK will receive the vaccine, but that is yet to be seen. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Non compatible ??? what sort of compatibility between vaccines are you looking for and how do you possibly think there could be any impact for you and your wife taking two different vaccines ???????

There are already reports in International press that some vaccines are successful against some variants of COVID but not other variants. If this true then that is where the compatibility issue comes in, example I may be vaccinated against the British variant but not the Brazilian variant, and my family the opposite, that is the compatibility risk to which I referred.

Surely the same vaccine for a whole family is a better solution and doing the whole of a family at one time irrespective of nationality / age issues.

• Like 1

Tanee Sangrat, spokesman for Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs made a statement via a tweet yesterday. Basically washing his hands of the India deal.

"Regarding news reports that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Thailand has denied an offer for vaccines by India, I wish to clarify that the MFA received the offer thru the Indian Embassy in BKK. We NEVER turned down the offer but in fact referred it to Thai agencies concerned."

https://twitter.com/SangratTanee

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Seems to me the plan is to get a Thai rocket to the moon before vaccinating everyone.

Special offer.

We pick you up with one of our super exclusive tanks, directly from your Sukhumvit condo.

Drive you to the River, where you will board our state of the art submarine.

2 hours down the River, we finally arrive at our Rocket station. 

Straight to the moon.

There, you will have the free choice of vaccine you want.

Buy now.

Hot offer.

All inc. only 599,000Baht, 2 night package.

5 hours ago, internationalism said:

Sorry but that isn't true.... My wife (Thai) had to show her residency card when registering with the doctor in UK (Scotland) . When it was due expire they  contacted us and ask for an updated card.  They wouldn't accept her without it.  They seem to be on top of this these days. 

I do agree  that emergency treatment isn't really checked. 

7 hours ago, DLock said:

Something doesn't add up.

According to previous article,  "Siam Bioscience has a production capacity of 180 million to 200 million doses per year or 15 million doses per month."

Assuming they meet plans of production by June, they could vaccinate the entire population by end of 2021.

What am I missing?

What you are missing is that all their numbers are buffalo <deleted>s:

The numbers of vaccine they can produce? Buffalo <deleted>s

The number of tourists coming this year? Buffalo <deleted>s

The number of covid cases? Buffalo <deleted>s

Thailand is the land of "not loosing face". They will always say a number that will help them to save their face.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have a strong opinion on double pricing etc which I strongly disagree with.

However, I am of the option that those foreigners who are not working in Thailand and paying tax don’t really have a claim to ‘free vaccination’ - thus, I think it is acceptable that us foreigners not working in Thailand have to pay for the vaccine. 

If you omit Myanmar, Cambodia & Laos, there are about 490,000 foreigners in Thailand - Us foreigners living in Thailand less than 1% of the population. If we’re not thought about in this context its because in the larger scheme of things when trying to vaccinate a nation we are insignificant. 

Of far greater importance is ensuring labourers and those who may struggle to fend for themselves receive the vaccinations, whereas the rest of us can pay privately for the vaccination or pay at a government hospital.

What I would find objectionable is that if vaccines are not available to foreigners based on nationality.

I think when Thai’s start getting vaccinated in their age brackets (i.e. 80+, then 70 to 80 year old etc) that foreigners who also fall in those same age brackets should also have access to vaccines, even if they have to pay a nominal fee to cover their costs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

"However, I am of the option that those foreigners who are not working in Thailand and paying tax don’t really have a claim to ‘free vaccination’ - thus, I think it is acceptable that us foreigners not working in Thailand have to pay for the vaccine."

Most thais don´t pay income tax. But everyone pay VAT on goods and some services. Since forigners in general consume more thean thais they pay actually more thai taxes then the average thai. So no reason to exclude foreigners for that reason.

Also it´s disapointing they plan for 70% end of 2022. With the usual delay in plans we realistically look at mid 2023 and 90 % fall 2023. It means before that no tourism without quarantine which means just a small numbers of tourists before that. In my homecountry the whole population is to be vaccinated before midsummer this year. For a country like Thailand being so dependent on tourism its hard to understand the delay.
It´s about time enterprising thais come up with an alternative solution. A lucky covid amulet springs to mind. It could replace vaccine in no time and open borders end of summer.